The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Hardly industry shaking news though, more like going out on a whimper

Not a 60th Birthday goal. 

They're Sega, they've not been relevant for about 20 years, what industry shaking news were you expecting?

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I don’t think Sega announcing anything is going to be industry shaking to be honest.

Any first hand impressions on the Console Wars book on here? I was thinking about adding it to my Audible list. 

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They're Sega, they've not been relevant for about 20 years, what industry shaking news were you expecting?

A girl can dream 

As said earlier, a device for everything with streaming subs would be perfect tbh. 

I feel like the people who would be interested in such a sub are also the people who have access to all the various ways that exist to play them anyway, without the sub. 

Wasn’t there already a planned console and subscription service such as that for Atari and the cost was ridiculous. Sega would be better served just finding new ways to market those compilation bundles they do, maybe make them more collectible some how. The other problem is the terrible ageing of anything post Mega Drive.

Was that part of the new "Atari" VCS console? Now that's a fuck up even bigger than anything Sega have done, key people walking out due to non-payment, constant delays and we still don't even have proper specs for it. Atari is nothing more than a logo to put on some Primark tat, it has zero to do with the actual original company.

• Paid Members

That Atari VCS sounds like a mess from what they've been saying on the CUPodcast. Likewise the Intellivision Amico. 

Yeah I remember Giant Bomb ridiculing it too but was unaware the Atari bit was just licensed. There was that planned Atari hotel as well that was aimed at the consumate Atari enthusiast which I think they speculated sounded more like a money laundering operation.

I think Sega would be prudent to do a deal with Xbox to stick their retro content on Gamepass which would allow them to still sell it to other consoles.

Edited by Mr_Danger

27 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah I remember Giant Bomb ridiculing it too but was unaware the Atari bit was just licensed. There was that planned Atari hotel as well that was aimed at the consulate Atari enthusiast which I think they speculated sounded more like a money laundering operation.

I think Sega would be prudent to do a deal with Xbox to stick their retro content on Gamepass which would allow them to still sell it to other consoles.

I don't think it's licensed per se but with the multiple buyouts and the convoluted history of the name i'm pretty the current Atari has zero history in console development, Atari almost outright died some time in the last ten years and were real lucky to get out of bankruptcy but I'm surprised Alone in the Dark: Illumination didn't send them back into it.. one of the worst games ever developed. But yeah they've got by in recent years by rereleasing old games and licensing out the IP's.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I'm game for a Saturn or Dreamcast Mini, as both haven't really been 100% cracked as emulators yet (as far as I know). If the market gets their hands on either one I give it a week at the most before you're able to chuck in an external device full of ROM. .

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Ha that's where I get most of my info on both consoles, I have a bit of a mancrush on Ian and his lefty rants.

Pat can be a bit of an ass sometimes, but Ian is awesome. I keep meaning to listen to his Extra Napkins podcast. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

sega-ggmicro-1-1280x720.jpg

Yeah.. better than nothing but it's still a bit shit, each has four games and you need to buy them all to have every game. I doubt they're very playable at that size.

It looks like they flip open, so there's probably a bigger screen inside. 

Can't wait for Kim's video about the scaler games. It's criminal that Revenge Of Death Adder never got a home release.