Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Unsurprisingly, nerds are pissed that the Venom teaser trailer doesn't show Venom. It's still in post-production & not out for months yet, that's what teasers are for, to wet the appetite before they can it out a full trailer

Yeah, but it didn't for most people. It's a shocking bit of marketing.

• Paid Members

It’s a teaser trailer. It teased. I’m still interested and can’t wait for a “proper” trailer.

I imagine a lot of those who are up in arms about their being no shots of Venom in the teaser will still go to see it at the cinema (albeit moan about it on the way out).

It's negative-positive marketing.

Social is the audience for these things now, and the general response to these things is usually negative. In fact, there's often a desire amongst that world to be negative. Very few properties are met with acclaim (I think the Avengers seem to get the nicest reaction), so there's a theory in content marketing now which says you deliberately cultivate the negative, but lay a seed of intrigue.

So, they'll probably have made a decision which says it's better at this stage for the audience to be mad at what they haven't seen, rather than mad at what they have. The latter is closed book, and anger at something being seen as rubbish will grow and grow and be hard to overcome; The former leaves that nagging potential for people really wanting to see what Venom looks like in costume.

If I was a betting man, I'd say a few months down the line they'll opt for a split response trailer: you'll see Venom in costume, but you'll also see a gang of other high-interest moments so that social can't unite in their response in something being terrible.

With mass market campaigns now, the goal is always to keep social on the run. Because if closed-book negativity has chance to fester, it spills into the mainstream and then you're mega fucked.

• Paid Members

That makes sense, although I do think there is also the very basic element of advertising at play, which is simply to let people know there's a Venom film coming soon in the first place.

• Paid Members

Fair enough, dAz. If the idea is to just put it out there with the idea to just get any reaction (which has been fairly negative), then it is what it is. Realistically, if they make a good, well reviewed movie it will probably do fine.

I could give a care about seeing Venom, but the teaser is still rubbish, though.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. They've done a great job of building anticipation, and with the current political climate oddly fuelling discussion around it, I'm hoping it does well, and the alt-right internet solves the South African water crisis with a sea of racist tears.

What a marvelous and downright gorgeous film it is, it's overtaken the first Guardians as my fav MCU movie so far. The cast is ace but I could have done without Martin Freeman and his dodgy accent, much worse than his one in Fargo season 1.

Also, "fucking gangbangers, ya gotta love 'em" popped into my head a few too many times due to a certain white South African, thanks Bob Mortimer.

This interview is a must watch too, Lupita is wonderful.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I've just seen it. I liked it but I didn't love it. It looks superb and the cultural asthetics are wonderful but I didn't fully get onbored with the plot. I think people are barking comparing it to Marvels best. I'd say its more Doctor Strange level. Well worth a watch though.

I saw it yesterday. It's a very very different film from Marvel. I think we've got accustomed to the formula of Whedonesque character banter and fan service, but this was a much more serious affair. First up, I want to live in Wakanda. It really is absolutely stunning. The mix of old and future is incredibly well done, the blend of different African cultures is a home run, and to create such a fully formed world in a two hour film is probably the greatest achievement. Yes, it falls into the genre trope of the hero fighting his nega-self in a bunch of pixels, but I was totally rapt in it and left the cinema thinking on its themes a lot more than any other superhero theme. I'm not sure whether it would've been worth them leaning more into the symbolism of his suit being charged up by being attacked, the way Luke Cage did with the dash cam police encounter. Overall, it felt more like James Bond meets Game of Thrones. Michael B Jordan deserves the plaudits as possibly Marvel's best villain - seething, blinkered, cool and cold, utterly convincing but not entirely at fault for who he has become. Lupita N'gongo is luminous. I really enjoyed it.

For what it's worth, I think GotG has aged badly already. At the time, I thought it was incredible, but having watched it more recently, I find it more puerile and flat. Except Groot. I'd even put Ant-Man and Doctor Strange above it for rewatchability.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• 4 weeks later...