Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

I think there is something broken in my head.

I just watched Justice League for the first time and actually really enjoyed it, despite what I’d heard. It’s not a great film by any stretch, but it’s a decent, well paced superhero movie.

That said, I watched Thor Ragnarok last week and just...didn’t get it, I guess. No one behaved like how I’d imagine those characters would behave. Everyone was just a human in silly costumes, playing hammy for the fun of it. It was as if no one involved really liked the idea of superhero films.

I don’t like how, tonally, the DC stuff often takes itself way too seriously, but i’d take that over a complete lack of interest in characterisation, motivation or desires. For better, or worst, at least Superman behaves like Superman and Batman like Batman, not just sitcom characters dropped into a superhero setting.

I appreciate that I’m in the minority, here, but boy I struggled with Thor.

• Paid Members

I agree with you on Thor: Ragnarok. I'd heard and read all the hype and found it to be very underwhelming. it had it's good bits. Hulk was fun. I didn't get what was so funny about the Rock guy and his silly accent. Plenty of other people at the cinema enjoyed it. I didn't hate the film, just didn't go mad for it as many others did.

I found ragnarok to be trying to be too much , and went too comedy. Thor was funny when he was oblivious to how he acted, not having loads of jokes thrown in. 

Black Panther was ok, and I understand the why of the hype, but it was dragged out and went from some awesome cgi to the green screen chatting scenes looking awful. 

Justice League was ok, they seem to be getting the balance a bit better in how the characters act, and robot man was a bit shit, but was an enjoyable film

• Paid Members

There was an interview with one of the guys who did the CGI for black panther ( and other marvel films) and he basically said that the reason for the massive swing between great effects and really bad, obvious green screen is that they micromanage the films, farm it out to multiple studios due to the tight deadlines and change their minds a LOT, with little regard for how much goes into shots, so often entire scenes will be redone at short notice for trivial reasons  and the bad effects are often third or fourth renders. There was a lot of bad compostiting in Black panther. It was really distracting. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Louch said:

Justice League was ok, they seem to be getting the balance a bit better in how the characters act, and robot man was a bit shit, but was an enjoyable film

Cyborg. Believe it or not, Robotman is actually another character in the DC universe, part of Doom Patrol (of which Grant Morrison's run is awesome and should be read by as many people as possible).

6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Cyborg. Believe it or not, Robotman is actually another character in the DC universe, part of Doom Patrol (of which Grant Morrison's run is awesome and should be read by as many people as possible).

That’s it, was just completely at a blank with him. 

• Paid Members
On 15 March 2018 at 4:09 PM, BigJag said:

I agree with you on Thor: Ragnarok. I'd heard and read all the hype and found it to be very underwhelming. it had it's good bits. Hulk was fun. I didn't get what was so funny about the Rock guy and his silly accent. Plenty of other people at the cinema enjoyed it. I didn't hate the film, just didn't go mad for it as many others did.

It's a New Zealand accent. 

Just watched it. I enjoyed it, a lot of fun. Action, thrills, explosions, colour, everything you want from an adventure movie. And to echo so many fans, there is Cate Blanchett in skin-tight clothing and looking ravenous.

However: this is not a new criticism, but I am really, really tired of the unending barrage of oh-so-self-aware, smart-arse humour. If this had been the first MCU movie I'd ever seen, it'd be fine, and even hilarious, but it's just badly outstayed its welcome. They could have ditched a third of the jokes and it would still have been funny. The whole "don't take things too seriously" message isn't new any more.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've become so used to this style of humour I can see a lot of the gags coming now; it's really quite formulaic.

To clarify: I think Ragnarok is an excellent, fun film that I will probably watch again some day, but the humour is too insistent and losing its shine in a big way for me. I'm aiming to see Black Panther finally this week, which I've been really looking forward to, and I'm hoping they've reigned it in more than they did with Ragnarok.

• Paid Members

Couldn't agree more. 

Thor-Raganarok felt like a stop gap film. As if they just wanted to cash in. It's a credit to the characters and our fandom that it was still a fun movie. The hype was over egged on this one.

Ive got to get round to watching Black Panther too. Not liking what I've read about the shoddy green screen scenes. I need to try and forget about that.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I'm hoping they've reigned it in more than they did with Ragnarok.

Yeah, there are jokes, but it's got a much more serious tone overall as a film. Definitely more reserved which actually makes for a nice change of pace. 

On 12/03/2018 at 4:50 PM, METAL ON METAL said:

Not to say it'll be the finished product that gets released, but apparently Deadpool 2 has been received "very poorly" at test screenings.

It’s now being reported it’s been getting “near perfect reviews” in test screening and outscoring the first movie. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!