Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

On 1/25/2018 at 3:45 PM, Linus said:

I enjoyed episode 1, will watch episode 2 tonight. I wish it was definitely set in the Arrowverse but I can understand why it's not, at least for now. Wonderful to see the TV debut ofĀ Gambi - a no-prize for the first man to tell me who he's named after and why!

It's actually the character's brother Paul Gambi (Peter wasn't created until a good 15 or so years after) who was named after Radio DJ and non-nonceĀ Paul Gambaccini, he was a big comic fan and often wrote into DC in his yoof. Gambaccini talked about it on some show I heard years ago, he apparently wasn't aware of the character for a few years after it was created because he had moved to the UK by that point and DC comics weren't as readily available over here. Not that I'm a nerd, honest.

• Paid Members

I agree, but I don't think it's much of anything, which is why I think folk are left moaning that Venom wasn't in it, because it's an underwhelming bit of marketing; after all the point in this is to get people excited and create good buzz. Hopefully the actual trailer corrects that.

It does confirm how pillowy Tom Hardy's lips are, of course.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I do question why we're even getting a teaser 8 months before the release date, especially when they won't have any finished CGI scenes ready; all this teaser did was suggest that Venom will be a minor character in the movie called Venom. It's as if we've got the Black Panther movie reviewing really well,Ā Avengers 3Ā hype starting to ramp up,Ā  Deadpool 2 looming and looking fantastic, then Venom just hopping up in the back shouting 'us too!!'.

I wouldn't have thought so, they're all at high school, agent venom would only work with a 10 year jump at least to allow for the neccessary history of Flash to play out before becoming agent venom.Ā Plus theĀ Flash from homecoming has been altered, that version wouldn't join the army, he's a preppy rich kid rather than the typical jock Flash is portrayed as.

Then again, Sony can be as bad as DC sometimes with just taking a certain story or character and just making a film based around a great storyĀ without the build up or backstory to get there frst. It would be akin to Marvel, deciding that CAptain America : The first avenger wasn't a success, and the next film was Falcon in the CapĀ role, without explaining why, or bringing in Falcon in the first place beforehand.

• Paid Members

I wasn't thinking the build-up would be that fast, more in, say, a couple of movies' time. The guy playing Flash is already playing a young adult in that weird advert about investment at the moment, so give him about three years, roughly how long it take a movie franchise to move on about two instalments, and he'd probably be fine for the role. Or, if his development hasn't gone the way they expected, simply cast someone new for it.

I would expect they'd just have it be someone else rather than Flash, the character/story beatsĀ needed to be true or even remotely closeĀ to the comics would be impossible given the lack of parity with the current Spider-man iteration. This version of Spider-man is part of the MCU which the Venom movie is not.

'Whet' your appetite,Ā I agree but it's still too early for a teaser, releasing anything without showing Venom was bound to annoy their core audience so in that respect it doesn't even do what it's supposed to do. It just comes across as at best tone deaf.