Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Soooo Disney now Own 20th Century Fox, which means that the rights to Deadpool and, more importantly, The X-Men and Fantastic Four may now be their's again. The question is, how would you merge them into the MCU? 

From all accounts Ant-man and Wasp will be introducing the Multi-verse so there's a real chance that they could introduce the X-men although the only one of any value that I'd want to see is Hugh Jackman Wolverine. Fantastic Four need to be added into someone elses film as a soft reboot, rather than another origin story

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Finally watched Justice League and it wasn't as hateable as I expected it to be. It's still a mess, like, but unlike BVS there is some decent moments throughout.

On the bad, the lighter tone if very much welcome, but I found The Flash to be an annoying tit doing that played out 'awkward geek' schtick. I enjoy Affleck in these (hopefully Matt Reeves gives him the film he deserves), but the Batjokes were terrible.
The film is quite clearly chopped to the bare bones and rushed through, which is both positive and negative, because unlike BVS it didn't drag, but also like BVS there was little in the way of depth and it's impossible to give a care about anything.
Also, Amber Heard, while pretty, is awful - she only had a few lines.

On the good, Superman is a good time throughout. He turns up like a WWE part-timer and steals the show.

Gal Gadot is impossibly good looking and, while Snyder and co seem to focus more on her arse in leather trousers than her character, she's an excellent choice for Wonder Woman (arse and all).

Again, I went in expecting it to be shocking, but it was merely "meh". Not a good film, like, but a definite improvement on BVS.

• 1 month later...

So Netflix are showing Black Lightning on a week delay.

The first episode is alright, very much a Berlanti show although not connected to the Arrowverse.

It might rub some people up the wrong way, it being very much 'Black Lives Matter: The Superhero Show', but the character motivations are convincing and it clips along nicely.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

It might rub some people up the wrong way, it being very much 'Black Lives Matter: The Superhero Show', but the character motivations are convincing and it clips along nicely.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that makes the alt-right or neo-cons cry is to be encouraged. I'm also a DC fan, so I think I'll make this my next viewing.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed episode 1, will watch episode 2 tonight. I wish it was definitely set in the Arrowverse but I can understand why it's not, at least for now. Wonderful to see the TV debut of Gambi - a no-prize for the first man to tell me who he's named after and why!

sadly the series was advertise as a Super Hero series...and so far I saw him attacking police officers and destroying police vehicles... we see him as a Black person in a city or town that apparently only has Black people, everyone in his life is black...no diversity... we only see other ethnic groups like white people as the bad guy or the "Evil Police" or a Chinese Store owner oppressor... OMG guys... how bad was this? very very bad.

I have got to start watching this.

• Paid Members

I really liked Ant-Man, so I'm looking forward to this.

BTW, am enjoying Black Lightning at the moment. Standard stuff, coming across as DC's answer to Luke Cage, but the direction they've gone with it works just as well, I think, especially as his supporting characters seem to have a lot more depth and development straight off the bat. Also, it's making the alt-righters cry over their keyboards about the lack of diversity (i.e. not enough white people), so I'm enjoying the fact that I'm helping bump up the ratings further.

Edited by Carbomb