Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, SuperBacon said:

People that have seen Thor Ragnarok, is it suitable for a fairly robust Thor obsessed 4 year old? She hasn't seen the others but she was bloody smitten with the trailer and the video of Hemsworth playing with toys and tonally it sounds a bit more suitable...

I wouldn't say that it is suitable for a 4 year old. There is some swearing and (fantasy) violence in it.

For anyone else who has seen Thor Ragnarok, where is the song The Lonely Man used in it?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Speaking of Thor, could someone go and see it with no real interest in the Marvel franchise?  I've seen a couple of them and they weren't for me but my girlfriend is a fan.  Would I be all "Who's that?" throughout the film?

Definitely, it's a straight up comedy with over the top obvious characters in a totally new setting. It's worth it on comedy value and spectacle alone. You won't really be asking "Who's that?" Unless you don't know who the incredible Hulk is.

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Speaking of Thor, could someone go and see it with no real interest in the Marvel franchise?  I've seen a couple of them and they weren't for me but my girlfriend is a fan.  Would I be all "Who's that?" throughout the film?

You'll be alright. I'm not a fan of them at all apart from Guardians of the Galaxy, I've seen bits of the others but never finished an Avengers film or anything, and I liked the new Thor quite a lot. I was expecting it to be more of a comedy based on reviews, and it isn't, it's just a more comedic take on the usual spaceships-and-fights Marvel formula.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be going to see it next week, but I wouldn't be going if my wife didn't have an unlimited cinema card combined with Meerkat Movies. That way, I can satisfy my curiosity without actually giving money to Warner Bros., because I emphatically think the DCEU has been shite and needs to change direction or give up. Wonder Woman was a highlight, but even she was a good character stuck in a bad film.

The biggest backhanded compliment I've heard is that it apparently feels more Avengers-y. Unsurprising considering they parachuted in Whedon, but a sign that a lot of critics and audiences want something less miserable and portentous than DC insist on giving us. But THEN AGAIN, the dark palette, glacial pace, and navel-gazing by men in tights wouldn't be an issue if the films they were in were above-average, which in my opinion they solidly aren't.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I wouldn't be going if my wife didn't have an unlimited cinema card combined with Meerkat Movies. That way, I can satisfy my curiosity without actually giving money to Warner Bros

CompareTheMarket and your cinema chain have paid for the ticket. They still send the takings back to the studio on a per ticket basis. Just like the NHS it's just free at point of use but someone still pays for it. 

So you are contributing. 

• Paid Members

Just seen Justice League. Its a mess with a few enjoyable moments. It's very obvious they've tried to cobble bits together, it seems to have about 4 separate opening scenes. 

The lighter tone really benefits Superman and hinders Batman. They really can't get the balance. Oh and Henry Cavills digital top lip is very distracting.