Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I think I might have to give up on Preacher. I don't expect it to be a complete adaption of the source material but they constantly ruin the iconic moments of the series and the characters for nonsensical plot twists or shits jokes.

For example, in the comics when Starr gets put into hand to hand combat training he shoots the trainer through both kneecaps. When he's asked how he expects to fight unarmed he replies "I have no intention of being unarmed" and it's a brilliant moment that sums up the character completely. In the TV adaption, during hand to hand combat traing Starr has a wank to distract his opponent then punches him in the face.

So much promise with this show. Terrible shame.

Edited by LaGoosh

Careful with the spoilers there, I haven't seen the latest episode yet. It is pretty much entirely different to the comic, just using a lot of the same characters, but putting them in very different situations. This means I am enjoying it and not expecting certain things to happen. I am enjoying the dark sense of humour in it and I expect every each season is going to be the main trio moving from city to city in the hunt for God.

• Paid Members

Just a quick question, my 6 year old has embraced the utter love of Superheroes, does anyone know of any stuff that would be suitable for that age group, both content and reading ability?

All I could find was a shitey Wonder Woman information book. 

• Paid Members

The Batman: Gotham Tales series is based on the cartoons, is very well written for all ages, and is deliberately kept toned down in terms of violence and gore - there's obviously the usual crime-fighting stuff, but nothing grisly or unsavoury.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Teedy Kay said:

Just a quick question, my 6 year old has embraced the utter love of Superheroes, does anyone know of any stuff that would be suitable for that age group, both content and reading ability?

They're not strictly comicbooks but DK do some really good visual guides and things like that. Their Marvel 'Everything You Need To Know' book is bright and colourful, with loads of bite size trivia and info snippets about all their superheroes.

20 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

The Lego crossovers have been an absolute godsend for my Superhero 4 year old daughter. Netflix has a few titles on there, as has YouTube but yeah anything Lego does is gold. We got her a Marvel annual at Christmas which was really good. Check Poundland and The Works for these as they might have a few knocking about still. 

Agreed, it beats watching Paw Patrol (which to be honest, I don't mind despite being a depiction of the proletariat blue collar worker being crushed and oppressed. Just in, you know, cartoon dog form)

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

My girlfriend takes part in Gishwhes every year.  One of her tasks this years was to recreate a favourite comic book cover using only things from the spice cupboard.  This is what she made.  I think it's brilliant.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

That's absolutely my favourite cover of Beano.

6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

My girlfriend takes part in Gishwhes every year.  One of her tasks this years was to recreate a favourite comic book cover using only things from the spice cupboard.  This is what she made.  I think it's brilliant.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

That's wonderful. Where did she find the Thyme to do that?*

*shout out Brucie 

• Paid Members

Fuck The Defenders, I just binge watched the greatest superhero show of the year on Amazon Instant. The Tick. It's only draw back is it's only 6 25 minute episodes. I say that because I'm paranoid about how well its going to do and it feels like it might only get the one season. Everyone please watch it. I need more Tick.