Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Just saw Spider-Man Homecoming at the BFI IMAX. It's probably a film you can catch in 2D, to be honest, but I enjoyed it plenty from a storyline perspective. It's more of a high school movie than an epic battle movie, and that's definitely a good thing.Ā 

5 hours ago, gadge said:

Just saw Spider-Man Homecoming at the BFI IMAX. It's probably a film you can catch in 2D, to be honest, but I enjoyed it plenty from a storyline perspective. It's more of a high school movie than an epic battle movie, and that's definitely a good thing.Ā 

Just got back to watching it andĀ it is a very good (7/10) film. Really enjoyable and entertaining, with Tom Holland really good as Spider-Man.

• Paid Members

I seem to have enjoyed it more then most actually. Id give it an 8.7 at least. Best live action Peter Parker (yes, even better then Nicholas Hammond) yet. And a non 1 dimensional villain as well! All in all great.

Ā 

And you can hear me discuss it in great detail here ;-) http://traffic.libsyn.com/disafterdark/DaD231372020Spidermen.mp3

• Paid Members

Anyone still watching Preacher? It's fun enough and the three main cast are really good fun but it feels like it's missing that special something. Not enough Jesse and Cassidy getting absolutely smashed together and getting into bar fights perhaps? And I'm not one of those people who moans when things get changed in adaptions as I think it's absolutely nessecary but the changes to the backstories of The Saint Of Killers and Arseface are incredibly odd choices. The Saint's backstory is probably the strongest part of the whole series and the changes they've made have removed the tragedy and horror of it all, weakening the character. And Arseface's backstory wouldn't really work with the modern timeline but they could have done something similar. The 5 minute comedic backstory they gave him in the latest episode was silly and idiotic. Again, they've removed all the sadness and tragedy of the character for cheap laughs and gross out moments. They seemed to do the same with Jesse's dad in season 1 who was completely different from the comics and for the worse.

I get that Preacher is insane and over the top and funny and wild but what really made the series shine was the moments of seriousness and loss the characters went through. The TV show doesn't seem to get that so far.

• Paid Members

Thought Spiderman was decent, i really enjoyed the character interraction (all the Spiderman/Stark/Happy stuff) and the high school stuff was nice but i really could give two fucks about the big action set pieces anymore and the battles with the badguys, i thought Keaton's character lacked any real menace or intent. I think im just over the superhero thing.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Homecoming but I rewatched Spider-Man 2 last night and I still think that's the best we've had. Obviously the third film ruined Toby Maguire but I don't think he'd be looked back on as such a bad fit for the role if they'd stopped after the first two.

There's just so much more depth to the characterĀ in 2. You really get the feeling that he's struggling with the gravity of the situation and the responsibility that comes with having superpowers.

In Homecoming it just felt like he thought being a superhero was super cool and was more concerned with proving himself to/impressing Stark.

IĀ reckon they're about level. Spider-Man 2 is a personal favourite of mine but it does have some issues, whereas this one probably holds together a little better but might be suffering from the fact that so much Spider-Man stuff has already been done on screen.

Great fun though, way more fun than the other films and really enjoyable throughout.

• Paid Members

Just got back from Spider-Man: Homecoming. Other than the last battle scene suffering from the 'too much CGI happening and I can't really make out what's going on' issue, I thought it was great. The Peter Parker high-school bits were especially good.

Easily the best Spidey film since the original. Never understood the love for the second film though. Alfred Molina's bloody crap in it.

Edited by Lorne Malvo
Typing like Pat

• Paid Members

Continuing on from above really, watched Homecoming Monday night and thought it was excellent. There were a few things that didn't sit right with me like the techy suit. It felt a bit too OTT for me, but aside from that Tom Holland was brilliant as Peter Parker.Ā 

Not to drag out the already stated, but it really did feel like half a John Hughes film, which was probably why I loved it. I certainly enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than any other comic book flick this year.

In relation to Spider-man 2, it's a tricky one. Each have their own merits and it depends on how you view it. If you asked me which one blew me away more on first viewing in the cinema, I would have to say Spidey 2. I remember walking out of that one completely gobsmacked and even to this day I've not had such a high after viewing a comic book film.

However, Homecoming as someone already mentioned has the difficult task of coming after several other spider-man films and on top of that an endless amount of other films of this genre.

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

LkvSguA.png

It rattles along at a decent pace and doesn't get too bogged down in backstory etc andĀ Molina looks like he's having a whale of a time hamming it up for Sam Raimi.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Daaaad was posting that in response to Lorne Malvo saying Molina was a weak point whereas I'm pretty sure most would agree he was one of the stronger aspects of the film.

1 hour ago, lambyUK said:

In relation to Spider-man 2, it's a tricky one. Each have their own merits and it depends on how you view it. If you asked me which one blew me away more on first viewing in the cinema, I would have to say Spidey 2. I remember walking out of that one completely gobsmacked and even to this day I've not had such a high after viewing a comic book film.

This all over for me! I think X-Men 2 was probably the closest prior to that. I do think others have come close though - the first two Nolan Batman films and, more recently, Winter Soldier have all had me leaving the cinema wanting to go right back and watch it again (although I would say that Dark Knight doesn't hold up to rewatches so well).

• Paid Members

I loved Spider-Man 2. Thought Molina was awesome, and, coincidentally, visually speaking possibly the closest casting to Doc Ock there could have been at the time. Additionally, IIRC, the movie was responsible for completely re-inventing Doc Ock's mobility too - until SM2, he'd never used his tentacles for that degree of movement in the comics, and Marvel went and incorporated that into his character.

And LaGoosh is right: that train fight sequence is fucking skill.