Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Wonder Woman was really good, although I personally would've been perfectly happy with two hours of nothing but Wonder Woman fighting but that's just me. Felt a bit like a mashup between the first Thor film and the first Captain America film in parts but that's cool as they were two of the best superhero films so far. Gal Gadot was great and she had no problem carrying the film (the supporting cast were good too, Chris Pine especially) and the character of WW herself was perfect, the right amount of bullheadedness, playful curiosity and a huge amount of heart and empathy.

Anyone else here still watch Gotham?

I really enjoyed this weeks episode, with Lea taking the Alice Tetch virus and burying Jim alive, Alfred calling Hugo Strange a slag and Fish Mooney making her what feels like 10th return in the space of 3 seasons. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Finally watched Wonder Woman. It's the most "Marvel" DC has tried to be so far and it worked out for the best. For a start, despite it being a film about war, it strikes a good balance between light fun jokes (that are actually funny) and all the sombre, serious "war's a bit rubbish" stuff.

It's strength is definitely Gal Gadot, who is absolutely perfect for the role; incredibly beautiful and charismatic. I was worried how she would fair in this after seeing Barman v Superman, because she didn't really show much in that film apart from looking angry in slow motion, but it turns out the reason for that is probably more those that made the thing such a mess.

My only gripe (and it's minor) is her guitar-driven leitmotif. It bothered me in BvS, bothered me in the trailers and it's even worse in the film. For a start it doesn't really fit her character, but whenever I hear it I imagine a middle aged bloke from Warner popping and playing air guitar and shouting "rock n roll, that". 

It's a shame Warner/DC didn't give the keys to the Justice League films to Patty Jenkins.

Edited by ColinBollocks

The female touch is all over WW and it's all the better for it. Far more heart than the DCEU's previous throwing action figures around a computer screen. The Themyscira section looked gorgeous, Gadot carried out the evolution from naive to disillusion to warrior brilliantly, and the love story was really sweet and funny. My only real gripe is that the end battle reeeeeeeeeeally dragged and had too many forgotten threads among the minor characters, so it ended a bit weakly.

In other news, the Black Panther teaser looks boss. Awesome music, wild world building, great character intros (Michael B Jordan looks fucking livid!). They're selling it as Marvel's Game of Thrones, with the war of tribes when T'Challa returns after Cap 3. I'm in.

• Paid Members

Didn’t like Wonder Woman at all.

I thought it was absolutely atrocious, with forced humour and poxy plot, and that Gadot one needs a stew or a casserole.

I sat there in the cinema with people around me spellbound, absolutely unnerved at the thought of this being the benchmark for DC movies.

• Paid Members

That Black Panther trailer is amazing. The timing of the release is a bit odd, no fan fare (bad photoshop poster and an announcement that it was being released during a Basketball game) and not long till SDCC but it's got me interested. They aren't messing around with the cast either: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B Jordan, Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyong'o and Daniel Kaluuya. Be interesting to see how they balance the real world / Wakanda stuff, think it might be a lot like the first Thor film

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 12/06/2017 at 11:29 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

Didn’t like Wonder Woman at all.

I thought it was absolutely atrocious, with forced humour and poxy plot, and that Gadot one needs a stew or a casserole.

I sat there in the cinema with people around me spellbound, absolutely unnerved at the thought of this being the benchmark for DC movies.

Whilst I didn't hate it as much as you, I was very disappointed. Sure, it's better then most of the DC effort but I just thought it was mostly bland. Especially the typical CGI monster fight in the dark. How original.

Gal Gadot is perfection. But I was left empty inside and I also hate when superheroes interfere with real life events. I thought that was a huge insult to those families affected

From the sounds of things, Marvel's turned in another blinder with Spider-Man Homecoming. Loved Holland's Parker and Spidey, the comic relief looks actually funny, and Keaton's bringing full bastard. I'm looking forward to checking this out this week sometime.

On the flipside, the Inhumans trailer has been roundly slated. To me, it looked rushed, flat, and dreary. Also looks like a waste of IMAX if all it does is give everything a fish eye lens look. I know little to nothing about the Inhumans, only reading up on them when they started turning up in SHIELD as emergency special effects, but this doesn't look good. The reactions are more fun than the trailer. The more obscure the property, the more hardcore the fanboy.

• Awards Moderator
43 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Can anyone help me out with what order to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies in and also how the TV shows fit in to that order? DC as well, if you can. Thanks a lot.

Release order makes sense for MCU, which is

Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, First Avenger, Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Winter Soldier, Guardians, Age of Ultron, Ant Man, Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians 2. 

I'd say for brevity you can skip the Hulk film, Iron Man 2, Thor 2, and Ant Man. 

If you want to be really brief, I'd say just go Iron Man, Thor, First Avenger, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Guardians, Ultron, Civil War. And even from that you could get away without Ultron.

But if you want to be completist watch them all - I have, and I've enjoyed most of them.

The TV shows aren't necessary at all. Agents of SHIELD fitted in for the first couple of seasons (the end of season 1 connects with Winter Soldier, a few other bits vaguely link to other films) but is completely its own thing now. The Netflix shows (order: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Daredevil 2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist) exist in their own universe as well - other than an occasional reference to the films there's no connection.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

DC: Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman.

Although, the only good film out of that lot is Wonder Woman, which is a bit Marvel-lite. Batman v Superman is probably the important one, in terms of building to the Justice League film, it's also the worst one of the four, by far.

Suicide Squad has Margot Robbie in hot pants and Cavill shows tit in Man of Steel.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Nice one, HG. Exactly what I was after. 

Whilst not essential, the Netflix shows take place after the first Avengers film as they occasionally refer to events from that movie with it being in New York.

For me, I would say you really should watch them all (the movies anyway). Whilst not essential as HG mentioned, they do include chunks of little nuggets that flesh out the backstory of things to come.

Edited by lambyUK