Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Spider-man 2 is still the best Spider-man film.Ā Free of the origin story, a great villain andĀ Sam Raimi going full Evil Dead in the hospital scene make it fantastic.I think I'm slightly biased because, in my eyes, Doc Ock is the Spider-man villain (and I hate Green Goblin, more so with how over used he has been in the films)

I liked the new film. As mentioned the end battle was all over the place and too dark to follow (god knows how bad that would be in 3D when everything gets even darker) They seem to have totally ignored the Spider sense and his heightened senses that he needed the goggles to control that was mentioned in Civil War, hopefully they get to expand on that and pull back on the tech stuff in the sequels. Its a rare case of them getting the secret identity spot on and stumbling with the Superhero side of things

On 7/7/2017 at 10:06 AM, LaGoosh said:

Anyone still watching Preacher? It's fun enough and the three main cast are really good fun but it feels like it's missing that special something. Not enough Jesse and Cassidy getting absolutely smashed together and getting into bar fights perhaps? And I'm not one of those people who moans when things get changed in adaptions as I think it's absolutely nessecary but the changes to the backstories of The Saint Of Killers and Arseface are incredibly odd choices. The Saint's backstory is probably the strongest part of the whole series and the changes they've made have removed the tragedy and horror of it all, weakening the character. And Arseface's backstory wouldn't really work with the modern timeline but they could have done something similar. The 5 minute comedic backstory they gave him in the latest episode was silly and idiotic. Again, they've removed all the sadness and tragedy of the character for cheap laughs and gross out moments. They seemed to do the same with Jesse's dad in season 1 who was completely different from the comics and for the worse.

I get that Preacher is insane and over the top and funny and wild but what really made the series shine was the moments of seriousness and loss the characters went through. The TV show doesn't seem to get that so far.

I'm still watching it. I watched the first two episodes last night. I loved the opening 15 minutes of episode one! I'm in a slightly different position to you as I've not read the comics - I have bought them but not got round to reading them -Ā so I can't make the sane comparison as you. So far I think season one was stronger, I'm not sure I like them being on the road and I miss some of the old characters. I love Cassidy and want him to get more screen time, he's easily my favourite character. IĀ don't really care that muchĀ about The Saint, I'm hoping they will make me care more in future episodes. Have you watched it all? Do they develop his backstory to make you invest in him more? I can't really comment on whether it's due to the changes from the comics obviously.

Edited by deathrey

• Moderators

That was always the plan for Mat Reeves; it's not really news.

Interesting to hear that perspective deathrey, because the comics are all about them being on the road and the thing I didn't like about the first series was that they stayed in the same place. Have not watched the second yet, but will get around to it eventually I'm sure.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Affleck's script for 'The Batman' has been dumped and Matt Reeves is starting again from scratch:

http://www.thewrap.com/batman-matt-reeves-has-shelved-ben-afflecks-script/

I really hope Afflecks script gets leaked, be really interesting to see just how far what he wrote is from what the studio want from a franchise film.Ā 

• Paid Members

Spiderman 2 is probably the better film, but homecoming is a better Spiderman film. The tone and wit is just right, and the whole being a bit crap but still being impossible to keep down and literally running into fire to rescue the bad guy is all note perfect Spidey.Ā 

Ā 

The CGI action scenes were easily the worst bit, and it honestly felt like the film knew it. Here's hoping they tone it down a bit for the next one.Ā 

14 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Interesting to hear that perspective deathrey, because the comics are all about them being on the road and the thing I didn't like about the first series was that they stayed in the same place. Have not watched the second yet, but will get around to it eventually I'm sure.

I think it's because I had begun to invest in the characters and obviously, I had no expectiotions of it. If being on the road equals lots more Cassidy, I'm sure I'll be happy

• Paid Members
On ā€Ž16ā€Ž/ā€Ž07ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 9:38 AM, chokeout said:

They released the teaser trailer for Avengers:Infinity War at D23 last night which was by all accounts amazing but they won't be officially releasing for us peasants to watch till Thor šŸ˜©

Makes sense as it starts with a Thor spoiler

Ā 

What do you think of this? Mark Ruffalo letting slip that Infinity War may not end so well for the Avengers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A0UeT38CLo

Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Makes sense as it starts with a Thor spoiler

Ā 

What do you think of this? Mark Ruffalo letting slip that Infinity War may not end so well for the Avengers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A0UeT38CLo

Ā 

He's been trolling people with that rumour for years, he said the same thing during the Ultron press Ā tour. He's a cheeky scamp.Ā 

Honestly, the level of secrecy around that film is so high, even if he had said something spoilery, I doubt it would have been released ( Tom Holland not even being allowed the full script because no one trusts him being the best example)Ā 

Even Feige has said repeatedly that Infinity War will be the end of the current Avengers. I've no doubt the current crop will pop in and out once IW is done, but the idea of everyone being polished off isn't new.

Ā 

This is the genius/madness of Marvel's marketing now. Everything could or couldn't be a spoiler. There were even people highlighted Holland hiding his gloves under his arms in the IW behind-the-scenes skit they produced, as if Marvel vetted/scripted that deliberately.

• Paid Members

I was thinking about the MCU films and as fun as they are, the action sequences aren't up to much cop. I can't really think of any action set pieces from any of them that massively impressed me. I can think of quite a few from the X-Men films and the first two Raimi Spidermans but from the MCU not so much. Anyone agree/disagree?

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Have to disagree. I enjoyed the Antman/Falcon fight, the final Age Of Ultron battle, the Captain America/Iron Man fight, the Iron Man/Thor fight, the big Civil War battle, and, bizarrely, the Iron Man/War Machine/drones/Whiplash-Crimson Dynamo fight (probably the only good bit about that film).

• Paid Members
Just now, LaGoosh said:

I was thinking about the MCU films and as fun as they are, the action sequences aren't up to much cop. I can't really think of any action set pieces from any of them that massively impressed me. I can think of quite a few from the X-Men films and the first two Raimi Spidermans but from the MCU not so much. Anyone agree/disagree?

The airport scene in Civil War is amazing. The battle of New York in the first Avengers is forgotten about now but it was superb and pure fan boy for how everyone interacts.

The Hulk buster scene in Ultron. It starts to go a bit Transformers in the level of destruction but is still great.

The lift scene in Winter Soldier and the prison break inĀ Guardians. Both different types of action scene but wonderfully done.