Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

4 hours ago, ThumpSquids said:

I - foolishly - left during the credits of Infinity War. I needed a wee. Did I miss something worth going again for? (Not that that's an issue, mind). 

There is one post credit scene, featuring two returning cameos and a hint at someone

Edited by RIDDUM_N_STYLE
Can't do spoilers

On 5/3/2018 at 1:14 PM, quote the raven said:

Reveal hidden contents

The gaunlet cant do stuff like that, the only stone that works that way is the reality stone and that only works to alter things for a short while. While the wearer is nearby. Hence why Draxx was turned into cubes but soon as he left he was ok. Thanos couldnt even fix his old home world. He could make it look like it was ok but soon as he stopped or left it went back to how it was.

Thanos cant get to every planet in the universe and fix what ever issues they have so he figures i will murder half of everyone. He has also seen this works on planets he had been and carried it out using his army

If this is true how can he

kill half the universe

I always imagined that a lot of those kinds of powers were rooted in willpower.

(Highlight because I can't do spoiler tags)

That's why he can cube Drax, but he all returns to normal once Thanos clears off - it's because Thanos doesn't really give a shxx; he needs it but then discards/forgets it. Galactic genocide is his raison d'etre, so everything he does using the Stones to get to that end sticks, because of the strength of his belief. It might not be canon, and it might be me making fan-boy excuses, but that's what makes sense to me, and adds a little depth to things, I think.

• Paid Members

I really liked Ant-Man, so I'm looking forward to the sequel, for sure. Someone on my FB feed put up a load of graphics for MCU films supposedly in the works, but I think most of it must've been bullshit, like The Wasp: Escape From The Micro-Verse, Black Panther: Secret Empire and The Fantastic Four.

• Paid Members

That's all bullshit, based on fan speculation. They haven't announced any films that far yet, although Black Panther must be a dead cert with the crazy money it made. I can see them relaunching Fantastic Four through a Black panther film or something as popular to remove the need for another origin story. It worked really well with the Spider-Man character.  

Would they want to do another Fantastic Four film after the last flopped so badly? Or are they hoping that now that it’s in the hands of Disney that they could make a go of it. 

Honest question, and I’m not meaning to sound like a dick or anything here, but when is it all going to end, or at least slow down, with the superhero movies? Don’t get me wrong, I like some of them and I’m not trying to belittle anyone for liking them, but since April 2017 to now there have been 7 films related to Marvel & DC, that’s one nearly every 8 weeks. With another 4 set to be released this year, and 9 scheduled for 2019, surely the bubble has got to burst at some point

• Paid Members

I think if marvel got the rights to fantastic Four back they'd stay away from another solo film origin, chuck them into another characters film as a soft re-launch. The characters are worth money with Marvel in control. 

Oh of course the bubble will burst. Nothing lasts forever but it's no different to westerns ruling the box office for decades, then war films, then sci fi. There will always be a go to genre for studios. I think it's also worth noting that there's a big difference between 'oh there's 30 westerns a year' and 'oh there's 3 John Wayne films a year' and that's how I see Marvel films, they are the stand out films of the genre  

2-3 marvel films per year is fine ( one big film and a couple of smaller ones), they have a built in audience and are doing it right. The DC/ Sony/ Fox stuff are just there and are more miss than hit. 

But with Black panther doing silly money for a C list character and an unproven box office draw in the lead role, Avengers having the biggest opening of all time and the very real potential of being the biggest film ever, I can't see it happening soon. 

Oh and as far as the 'where have they been issue' you can introduce their origin within another film or link them up to the multi dimensions referenced in Dr Strange 

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

I won't lie, I want the MCU to have the Fantastic Four and for their version to do well, because I have a faint hope they could do Secret Wars as a film. Doom as God was a cracking laugh, especially stealing Reed's kids instead of just having completely different kids of his own with Sue.

Not as much as I want AvsX, but they obviously wouldn't have time within one movie to explain who Hope Summers is, so I don't know what they'd be fighting over. Something alluded to in a previous film's mid credits scene, perhaps.

• Paid Members

Has anyone watched this new Krypton series? I think it's shown on the SyFy channel in the US. The story is centred around Seg El who is Supermans grandfather. It has a largely British cast and and the he set design is quite impressive.

Edited by BigJag

So, Infinity War.  I enjoyed it, but  not as much as some people.

My main issue is with the ending.  Not for fanboy reasons, but this - no matter how they resolve this, it'll be a disappointment.  For obvious business and franchise reasons, this will get rolled back, but that not only devalues the "bravery" of it, but whatever contrivance they use (presumably time travel) it will feel like a cop out.

if they'd just killed a major fatted calf and then stuck with it, the  implications and reverberations would have been better.  But this - I'm anticipating a large chunk of the film will end up meaningless.

My only issue with the ending was that, with one heart-wrenching exception, the FX seemed to have been pasted over generic footage with zero performance from the actors.

I personally loved it. All the way through, I kept forgetting exactly what could be done by the gauntlet until the last second, and every time I thought it made Thanos even more despicable.

A lot of people seem to have gone all meta with their opinions of it, stating that the lack of major deaths in the previous films meant that they couldn't get as involved as they should have been, and decrying the writers and Marvel production model, etc for attempting to callously manipulate the audience, or some such. I'll admit that Marvel has got me all in, and I happily got swept away in the story and, more precisely, the journey of the characters. As much as I can see a lot of this ending being undone in terms of the franchises (which I can appreciate when taking a step back), there's still a ton of intrigue for me in terms of where they can go with the stories and characters from now on, and how those remaining characters will be affected ongoing. Infinity War really was a culmination of a whole stream of story arcs, in which the heroes have been drifting further apart, fragmenting and succumbing to their various personal bullshit.

For the remainders now, the only way is up; it can't get any worse. I can't wait to see not if, but how they recover.

Edited by CavemanLynn