Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I am trying to see the difference between what someone is doing, right now as leader of argubly the most powerful country in the world, and him being allowed to carry on, and a movie director who said some dumb shit 10 years ago and apologized for it before.

Why are you even trying to compare the two? I don't understand how it is at all relevant.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Why are you even trying to compare the two? I don't understand how it is at all relevant.

I'd like to think you know me enough by now that I don't seem to think about things in the way everyone else does. in my head it makes sense and what I am comparing is 2 people who have said terrible things publicly. I suppose really a better comparision is Roseanne Barr and James Gunn. He was sacked for things he said in the past. She was employed, knowing full well what she had been saying recently, but only being shit canned once she sent a racist tweet while the show was on.

If they are going to sack people because of their past, I hope that Disney never google search RDJ  

The main difference is one is employed, one is elected.  When you're employed it's a handful of people who decide if you keep your job, when you're elected to public office, it isn't. The hirings and firings of a private company are not the action of, nor are they reflective of, an entire electorate.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The main difference is one is employed, one is elected.  When you're employed it's a handful of people who decide if you keep your job, when you're elected to public office, it isn't. The hirings and firings of a private company are not the action of, nor are they reflective of, an entire electorate.

Thanks Keith. It takes my very simple comparison and puts it into actual context.

• Paid Members

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I am trying to see the difference between what someone is doing, right now as leader of argubly the most powerful country in the world, and him being allowed to carry on, and a movie director who said some dumb shit 10 years ago and apologized for it before. IF he has actually done any of those things he has discussed, I hope I never see his smug face again. However, if he has just made some stupid tweets, Disney should either of never hired him, or giving him a public dressing down.

Trump has caused a rise in tensions and racism across the world. He isn't the host of the Apprentice anymore, he is one of the most powerful men in the world who appears to be made of teflon. I cannot understand why he is able to continuely get away with everything, whilst a movie director was fired. Roseanne Barr, had a history of racist and anti semitism, and they still brought her show back. She was only fired when she was racist again now, not for past tweets. It is either a stitch up, or there are skelletons in the closet. But right now it looks iffy.

And I'm struggling to see the connection.

Trump being President has nothing to do with this. Disney are a massive Corporation who built their business on appealing to kids. They can't be seen to endorse jokes about paedophilia. It would be absolutely toxic to them. As good as he is, James Gunn simply isn't important enough to justify them taking the hit. It's the same with WWE and Hogan. They don't give two fucks about what he said, they care about how much it could cost them, 

There's a variety of reasons that Trump is President and "keeps getting away with stuff" but none of it has anything to do with Disney. I'm really not sure why you're trying to force the comparison.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why are there concerns about the quality of the next Toy Story again?

Presumably because people thought 3 was a perfect ending note. But then everyone thought that about 2, and that 3 was unwarranted when in fact, it's a bloody masterpiece.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Presumably because people thought 3 was a perfect ending note.

Pretty much. Although I was half joking when I typed that. I just don't want it to be anything other than a classic.

Standards are right high for Toy Story.

I am the guy that has paid to watch every Die hard and Terminator sequel and prequel, despite their quality.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why are there concerns about the quality of the next Toy Story again?

The script was be Rashida Jones and her writing partner. They left under a cloud just before the John Lasseter situation. The film was due out this year and got swapped with Incredibles 2 (which to changes to that film). Also, TS4 was a JL project and with him going I think people are worried about the end product.

That and TS3 was a perfect closer