What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I started watching Riverdale because of my pseudo-girlfriend, but I gave up a few episodes before the end of season one. I tried to pick it up again last week as season two had started, but it's a struggle. I just can't latch onto caring about anything with it. The stories are all over the place and nothing means anything. For all the murder and conspiracy stuff hanging over it, it's just got no weight.

I really enjoyed Stranger Things series 2. 

Edited by King Pitcos

I couldn't remember where I'd got up (think it was episode 6), so I rewatched the whole of Stranger Things Series 1, so I could start the new one later on.

One thing I couldn't stand the first time I'd watched it was Winona Ryder and her overacting. Well, I must've been in a mood then, because I've done a huge 180 Hogan turn BROTHER, as I thought she was bloody excellent. Still stunning as well.

Also, the kids are all great, but Millie Bobby Brown who plays Eleven is just incredible. Nails that part. I also don't get the criticism over it's nostalgia. It really isn't a nostalgia fest. I mean how else are you going to place a series in that era without using that soundtrack? Anyway, can't wait to start Series 2.

• Paid Members

I agree on the nostalgia - I put off watching it for months because all I'd heard about it was that it was an '80s nostalgia vehicle. I thought that it would all be slapping you in the face with it, and I'd hate it as a result, but it really wasn't. It's just enough to evoke the feel of the period, and throw in the odd reference to the films it's drawing inspiration from, but it never feels like it's gratuitous. The second series (which I'm about halfway through now) is a lot more heavy-handed with it.

Couldn't agree more on Eleven - mindblowing performance. All the kids are amazing, and I usually find myself getting annoyed by child actors, or feeling like their performances are a little too forced, but I've never felt like that with this lot, they're all superb, she's just on another level.

• Paid Members

Nah, the nostalgia is part of the charm, but it gets away with it because it's a well written show filled with brilliant performances. If it didn't have such depth, the gimmicky nature would certainly more apparent. It's loaded with all manner of great nods to 80s films and telly.

• Paid Members

I watched that thing about JK Rowling's inspirations behind the Harry Potter series and History Of Magic exhibition at the British Library on iPlayer. I thought it was quite interesting. My other half was a bit bored by it, though.

• Paid Members

I absolutely adored S2 of Stranger Things. I liked where they took the story, I liked most of the new characters, and I am still blown away by the quality of the child actors, especially

Eleven,

and I thought Winona Ryder was superb again. 

There was one episode that I thought was a bit eh but I hope it leads to more in another series. 

Edited by Nexus

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I watched that thing about JK Rowling's inspirations behind the Harry Potter series and History Of Magic exhibition at the British Library on iPlayer. I thought it was quite interesting. My other half was a bit bored by it, though.

The best bits were David Thewlis's steely recitations. Brilliant! 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

The best bits were David Thewlis's steely recitations. Brilliant! 

I was really wishing Alan Rickman was still with us in c\se he would have done a few. Luna Lovegood's looking good as well.

9 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Just finished Stranger Things 2 - I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first one, I’d say it was a 7/10, but had a lot of promise. The new one fulfilled them massively, I loved pretty much everything about it.

Completely agree with this, I haven't enjoyed a single series as much as this for ages. Well written, funny, good pacing, relationships and characters you actually care about (take note The Walking Dead), it was just bloody excellent. The level of writing and acting was tremendous, stand out for me was Steve Harrington, getting himself up into the echelons of GOAT character status.

I didn't get as many references as I assume there are, not really being an 80's horror fan (I'm sure there is loads I missed), but standout moment for me was

The Temple of Doom nod, with Nancy and Jonathan in Episode 6 when they were staying at that investigators house, in the separate rooms and talking to themselves and then coming out at the same time. Excellently done

Oh and Dustin forever...