What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

37 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I'm glad it's not just me. I love this self-aware genre and the observation of business meetings, but something isn't clicking in this series. It's like they got asked for a third season but no new ideas in the pot. 

It's just the absolute inane utterings of all the minor characters as I mentioned, that ruins the whole thing for me.
Typical scene:
Ian (Bonneville's character) "Are we agreed?"
Minor character: "Yes"
Other minor character: "Yep"
Sarah Parish: "Yes, exactly yes"
Other minor character: "Bollocks"
Yet another minor character: "Yes"
Sarah Parish: "Yes, exactly yes"

Like you, I too like the self aware genre, and the character of Will, the former intern is still quite funny, and you genuinely warm to him, but this series is so dull. The Match of The Day arc absolutely bombed didn't it? Not one smile raised from any of that, whereas I bet the writers thought it was so cutting and daring. Also, no one cares about Hugh and Jenny from Teachers getting together, and what is wrong with Sarah Parish's character? Is she supposed to be on drugs, or having a breakdown? Oh and the whole "media offshoot" thing is painfully unfunny and about 2 years out of date.

Jesus, I sound bitter over a really irrelevant sitcom that I don't even particularly enjoy. I need to get out of the house!

• Paid Members
On 07/10/2017 at 7:04 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

The first episode of the new series of Red Dwarf is up on the UKTV Play website thingy. It's pretty bad. They set the bar pretty low by aiming to be as funny as Red Dwarf V when they brought it back two years ago, but it's been diminishing returns since then. The pacing of the show is off. It was last series and feels the same this time around. They seem to take 25 minutes trying to set up everything up, then they have to rush the finish so it feels anticlimactic.

Watched the first 2 episodes and they were OK at best. I enjoyed the last 2 Dave series, and really enjoyed a couple of episodes in each series alot. I thought 10 & 11 were mostly good to very good all things considered. 

The problem with both sepisodes on 12 is there seemed to be a reliance on a joke for 30 minutes, wacky Hitler in one and the word MILF in the other. 

Secondly they were genuinely interesting plots on paper, 2 more than 1 in truth but both had legs with good writing, but rather than invest in them in a meaningful way they haven't scratched beyond one incredibly basic joke in both. 

The second episode was better than the first with at least one funny scene that didn't lean on the aforementioned one joke , and did have more promise and better execution. However it still took too long to get going, which is bad for a 30 minute show, and failed to really explore the plots potential for story or humour. I believe it even left plot points open which, given the show isn't the sort to have an overreaching arc to a series (and given performance from episodes 1&2 I wouldn't expect them to pull it off if they did) just feels weak. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Watched the first 2 episodes and they were OK at best. I enjoyed the last 2 Dave series, and really enjoyed a couple of episodes in each series alot. I thought 10 & 11 were mostly good to very good all things considered. 

The problem with both sepisodes on 12 is there seemed to be a reliance on a joke for 30 minutes, wacky Hitler in one and the word MILF in the other. 

Secondly they were genuinely interesting plots on paper, 2 more than 1 in truth but both had legs with good writing, but rather than invest in them in a meaningful way they haven't scratched beyond one incredibly basic joke in both. 

The second episode was better than the first with at least one funny scene that didn't lean on the aforementioned one joke , and did have more promise and better execution. However it still took too long to get going, which is bad for a 30 minute show, and failed to really explore the plots potential for story or humour. I believe it even left plot points open which, given the show isn't the sort to have an overreaching arc to a series (and given performance from episodes 1&2 I wouldn't expect them to pull it off if they did) just feels weak. 

I thought Rimmer had overcome all his dad/brother issues at the end of the last series when he found out he was the gardener's son? It still feels like it's too much setup and not enough payoff because they only leave themselves 30 seconds to try and resolve the whole episode. The MILF thing felt like a bit of a lazy throwback to the Committee for the Liberation & Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society as well.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I know/knew a guy who is an actor, he played Hitler in Red Dwarf, so I'm told.

He's appeared twice, the first time they got a stunningly good look a like in. 

Edited by Tommy!
He meaning hitler, different actors though.

• Awards Moderator
On 14/10/2017 at 6:11 PM, Keith Houchen said:

It was the new one, he was in the hobbit films as well and was probably the only thing I liked about them.

I really like him. He gets a long stint in the Hobbit Blu-ray extras too (yes I'm the person that watches those). He talks about working with Stephen Fry (most of his scenes) and the difficulty of moving from stage to screen.