What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Appalling news, I got a cup of tea and sat down to do the YouGov surveys as per usual on a work day and this was one of the bloody questions:

brittas.png

Who in their right mind is calling for a return of the Brittas Empire? 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, mim731 said:

Dave, I imagine. That is surely going to be an absolute car crash of a reunion. 

Indeed. The Dwarf ones are just about watchable and at least Red Dwarf was at various points quite funny. Brittas pissing Empire wasn't especially funny in the 90's and has aged as poorly as any programme from that time period I have seen. 

• Paid Members

Dave has such a mixed bag of programming these days. I'm not a fan, but I understand why they end up showing old Top Gear during the day, however it's mad that they are the same channel showing something as brilliant as Taskmaster, but as shite as something like The Brittas Empire. 

The Deuce has got off to a very promising start. It has that impenetrable thing the Wire had in the first episodes where you are not quite sure who everyone is and where they fit into the story. I want to watch them again. It took me a while to figure out James Franco was playing twins!

It looks amazing, the outside shots of 70s New York look ridiculously authentic and the soundtrack is awesome. Check the Spotify playlist - 

In Larry Brown I believe you have a character as cool and conflicting as a Stringer Bell/Omar/Snoop etc etc. He's electric every time he's on screen. 

If you want to see The Wire with afros and ho's, Method Man playing a 70s pimp and tits and cocks of all shapes and sizes, flaccid, erect and semi...this is a good show for you.

The cast and writers reunited to reopen the leisure centre that the show was filmed in after it had been closed for a refurb. They were asked if the show would ever return and they said they'd love to. That's all. It's seems to have snowballed.

It could be worse. It could be A Prince Among Men making a come back.

• Paid Members

Just a thanks to all who mentioned vice principals a couple of pages back, it somehow passed me by.

It's my wife's birthday so I made some scran, bought some beer and said "So a few people have recommended this thing Vice Principals", she was up for giving it a go from the beginning. We're only 3 in and it's bloody great. She actually asked who suggested it and I said I overheard positive discussion from Butch and Dead Mike. She looked confused, left it at that.

Nice one anyway.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, mim731 said:

Dave, I imagine. That is surely going to be an absolute car crash of a reunion. 

GOLD are the ones that show the Brittas Empire aren't they? I remember thinking it was alright back in the day, but I think it was Chris Barrie carrying it more than anything else. IT definitely ran for at least one series more than it should have done, and I have no idea how they'd manage to bring it back for a series.

• Paid Members

The first episode of the new series of Red Dwarf is up on the UKTV Play website thingy. It's pretty bad. They set the bar pretty low by aiming to be as funny as Red Dwarf V when they brought it back two years ago, but it's been diminishing returns since then. The pacing of the show is off. It was last series and feels the same this time around. They seem to take 25 minutes trying to set up everything up, then they have to rush the finish so it feels anticlimactic.

• Paid Members

Last season I thought was pretty good. Probably the strongest season they've had in years. I'll check out the latest episode.

EDIT: It WAS season XI I thought was their best season since probably season VI. I thought the first episode of XIII was as good as I expected it to be. At this point, I enjoy seeing the cast just do Red Dwarf, I'm not expecting greatness. I don't think it's any better or worse than it has been.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

15 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

The Bill is now showing late nights on Drana channel. Classic Bill i mean from 1988, generally two episodes most nights.

All Bills past after 2000 are shite. These are vintage.

ITV 3 are also showing classic Corrie from mid to late 80s.

Twenty Twelve was pretty funny. I even enjoyed the first 2 series of W1A as I quite like Hugh Bonneville, Jessica Hynes and the lovely, lovely Ophelia Lovibond is in it (most Tory name ever), but the new series is utter, utter shit.

Having all of your minor characters just say "Yes" "Yeah" "Yep" over and over again in quick succession is not funny. Having Sarah Parish's character say "Yes, exactly, yes" literally every line is NOT FUNNY.

I get what the writers are doing, making it look like there are so many cooks spoiling the broth at the BBC, and there are too many people involved in decisions and meetings and all they do is agree with everyone automatically, and I'm sure the show is hilarious to people that work at the Beeb as 'self aware' and 'deprecatory' but it's not funny to everyone else. Shame as there is some decent talent involved, but this series has been a mess.

That being said, Ophelia Lovibond really is lovely, and worth watching for...

• Awards Moderator
26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Twenty Twelve was pretty funny. I even enjoyed the first 2 series of W1A as I quite like Hugh Bonneville, Jessica Hynes and the lovely, lovely Ophelia Lovibond is in it (most Tory name ever), but the new series is utter, utter shit.

I'm glad it's not just me. I love this self-aware genre and the observation of business meetings, but something isn't clicking in this series. It's like they got asked for a third season but no new ideas in the pot.