What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Watched the first episode of the new Trek last night and bloody hated it. Caveat is that I'm not a Trekkie by any stretch of the imagination - seen most of the movies with the original cast, and a couple of the TNG movies, the first two of the reboot series, and then just scattered episodes of the original series and TNG, that's probably about it, but know enough to get by.

That first scene with the captain and commander on the desert planet, though, was just interminably awful. Smugly delivered generic sci-fi dialogue and technobabble between actors without any chemistry between them whatsoever, and that set the pace for the whole episode. Everyone's smug, and nobody ever shuts up. The show's visually stunning, but you'd never know, because no one ever stops talking long enough to give you time to let it all sink in and actually appreciate it. Despite that, nothing they say seems to carry any sense of drama or tension, so I'm just left not giving a shit.

Hated the bit where the Admiral snaps at the Commander, saying, "given your background you should know better than to make judgements based on race" too. It just felt so blunt and heavy-handed, and so un-Star Trek. The whole point of Star Trek is that it's broadly utopian; it's post-racial, post-prejudice, and that any commentary it makes on contemporary social issues is through their absence in the Star Trek universe, not through hammering you over the head with them. It just felt like they couldn't trust the audience to understand the slightest bit of nuance.

• Paid Members

Watched The Sinner, which was terrible...fucking septic piece of programming, which I carried on with only for the lingering memory of the top half of Jessica Biels’ bare bum in Episode 1 and the hope they’d show the full thing at some stage throughout.

Tin Star started off well, but I’m on episode 9 and just gave up. Couldn’t be actually bothered with the finale after that “twist”.

I’m going to start Mr.Mercedes tonight and then I’ll watch Electric Dreams on my tobler when the missus is asleep because she would have a canary if she was subjected to science fiction at night time.

Nothing left for me to watch, seriously. I’m traipsing through BBC Dramas like In The Dark etc at this stage.

I won’t watch Game of Thrones - despite all my mates and everyone I’ve ever spoke to about tv saying “You’ve never fucking seen Game of Thrones??? What’s wrong with you!” - due to the fact it has flying dragons in it, and also spite, essentially, against those people who deem me an idiot for not watching it.

Is The Orville any use? I don't like Star Trek so not sure if it'd be lost on the likes of me.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

OK, after binging 9 series of It's Always Sunny, it has definitely entered my top 10 of all time. A genuinely hilarious,just funny, witty show that I could watch for ever.

Anyone else been watching Back, the new Mitchell and Webb comedy? They are essentially playing Mark and Jeremy, but obviously they fit both those characters quite well. It's fairly easy watch with a couple of excellent one liners in the early episodes.

"Vinyls making a comeback..." "Yeah for cunts" and "The village has a festival, it's really fun. It has four stages" "So does cancer"

• Paid Members

The first of those two one-liners absolutely destroyed me. Just brilliant writing, and great comic timing. Enjoying Back, and I'm glad they've managed to retain much of the charm of the dynamic of Mitchell and Webb working together from Peep Show, but the characters are different enough that it doesn't feel like a facsimile. 

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

The first of those two one-liners absolutely destroyed me. Just brilliant writing, and great comic timing. Enjoying Back, and I'm glad they've managed to retain much of the charm of the dynamic of Mitchell and Webb working together from Peep Show, but the characters are different enough that it doesn't feel like a facsimile. 

Absolutely. Andrew is much more sly and dark than Jeremy ever was. Stephen is quite Mark Corrigan but as you say, enough of a change to feel different.

• Paid Members

I think I'm going to be fairly alone in this viewpoint but I like The Orville. It isn't 90s Star Trek like some are saying, but it does scratch a certain TNG-type itch that Discovery doesn't. It's been fairly panned by critics but it seems to be building a fan base. The comedy is actually the worst part of the show. I went into it expecting a half hour sci-fi comedy and am actually getting a 45 minute dramedy.

I'm sure it'll get cancelled, but I like it for what it is.