What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators
On 16/10/2017 at 1:16 AM, Nick Soapdish said:

Started watching The Good Place now Netflix have their grubby mitts on it. 3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of Pushing Daisies in some ways

I binged the first series lest weekend. Took a little getting into, but I enjoyed it. Not sure it's one i enjoyed enough to watch week to week though, so I might wait for the second series to finish before I pick it back up again.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I binged the first series lest weekend. Took a little getting into, but I enjoyed it. Not sure it's one i enjoyed enough to watch week to week though, so I might wait for the second series to finish before I pick it back up again.

It reminded me in a way of Pushing Daisies in that it had a very surreal vibe. I think Ted Danson may have his best ever role in this (I loved Sam Malone) and think the supporting cast in general are pretty good

Started watching Nathan For You. Really really enjoying it, and always enjoy the style that this is shot in, but I don't want to Google things and ruin things for myself, and I'll put in spoilers just in case people haven't seen it/aren't aware of the style...

How much of it is real? I know that makes me sound a bit thick and I can usually tell, but maybe because it's Americans doing it. Like the episode where he sets up the fake show to meet women. Do they think it's a real show? Did the host think it's a real show? Do these business owners think he is a real business expert coming into help?

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Anyone given Atypical a go on Netflix? I binged it all last week. Seems to be dividing viewers.

As someone with a (young) son with Autism we were really interested. But

the wife's affair put us off and haven't gone back since

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I hope that's a spoiler for the show and not your actual life, Nick.

Possibly a little too close to home ;-)

But jokes aside I was hoping for a more indepth dramedy about Autism. It seemed more like a generic american show with that as the hook. Was a bit disappointed. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Seems that the best TV approach to addressing Autism is Sesame Street.  Can't decide if that's great or not.

They do it pretty well. Although Pablo, a new Cbeebies thing is also pretty good. He even flaps his arms when he is excited just like my son does. I watched a good documentry last night about Chris Packham and his Aspegers and Autism and BBC4 often show Life Animated which is a nice little documentary about an Autistic boy and Disney

1 minute ago, Nick Soapdish said:

They do it pretty well. Although Pablo, a new Cbeebies thing is also pretty good. He even flaps his arms when he is excited just like my son does. I watched a good documentry last night about Chris Packham and his Aspegers and Autism and BBC4 often show Life Animated which is a nice little documentary about an Autistic boy and Disney

Excellent stuff.  It's great that more and more stuff is being broadcast.  I remember a tweet along the lines of "Autism is made up, it wasn't around in my day.  Yeah? Well Everest wasn't mapped until 1856 but I'm sure the mountain was still there"

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Excellent stuff.  It's great that more and more stuff is being broadcast.  I remember a tweet along the lines of "Autism is made up, it wasn't around in my day.  Yeah? Well Everest wasn't mapped until 1856 but I'm sure the mountain was still there"

My Dad, who is no longer features in my life, once came out with this gem. "Peanut Allergies are a load of bollocks. Didn't exist in my day". I replied "You're correct. People just died."

37 minutes ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Possibly a little too close to home ;-)

But jokes aside I was hoping for a more indepth dramedy about Autism. It seemed more like a generic american show with that as the hook. Was a bit disappointed. 

I think that sums it up best for me. It felt more along the lines of Dawsons Creek or something just with an autistic character thrown into it. I've gone back and forth as to whether that's a good thing or not. Whether the actual focus SHOULD be on autism and everything revolving around that, or if it's the whole point that actually everything else goes on as well and so the sole focus shouldn't be just on autism. I've not had any experience with it in my life so I'm coming at it from a different angle. I did enjoy the show but I suppose it depends what you want out of it as a viewer.

• Paid Members

The Chris Packham Asperger's documentary was superb - I'm a fan of the guy anyway, and loved his book, which parts of the documentary pulled from, but I found it quite thought-provoking, and very moving in places. The question as to whether or not he'd want a cure for Autism was fascinating, and the "carers" in the US who were so quick to say "yes" to that question, unequivocally, creeped me out.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Started watching Nathan For You. Really really enjoying it, and always enjoy the style that this is shot in, but I don't want to Google things and ruin things for myself, and I'll put in spoilers just in case people haven't seen it/aren't aware of the style...

Hide contents

How much of it is real? I know that makes me sound a bit thick and I can usually tell, but maybe because it's Americans doing it. Like the episode where he sets up the fake show to meet women. Do they think it's a real show? Did the host think it's a real show? Do these business owners think he is a real business expert coming into help?

Hide contents

It's all real, and other than Nathan, nobody's in on it. A lot of the stuff in the show -- for example, Dumb Starbucks -- ends up explaining weird shit that's shown up online earlier, or been featured on the news, when people realise it was part of a Nathan For You.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The Chris Packham Asperger's documentary was superb - I'm a fan of the guy anyway, and loved his book, which parts of the documentary pulled from, but I found it quite thought-provoking, and very moving in places. The question as to whether or not he'd want a cure for Autism was fascinating, and the "carers" in the US who were so quick to say "yes" to that question, unequivocally, creeped me out.

Sorry to drag the thread off topic, but my wife is really doing all she can to help our son by learning as much as she can about it. She saw this pitch by the Son rise program as they were coming over to the UK and she was going to part her money to attend the courses but they claim to cure it and their methods seemed too sketchy for my liking (similar to the place Chris Packham went to in the doc) and she changed her mind