What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

For anyone interested in Autism research I'd personally recommend Simon Baron-Cohen (Sachas cousin) who is a lead Autism researcher based in London. He has a number of incredibly good books and papers available. I came across his work in 2006 during a training seminar with my employer at the time. Some fascinating insight and some incredible findings.

• Moderators

Is anyone watching the new Red Dwarf? I haven't been, but the utterly horrendous reaction to the latest episode, including a lot of references to there being the worst joke ever televised, made me check this one out.

Truly, truly dreadful. Craig Charles isn't even acting any more, just being himself, but half asleep. Cat's reduced to "I hope Rimmer dies," and there was a terrible simile about there being less of something than there was "unpinched bottoms at the BBC in the 1970s." The worst joke though. Christ. Can anyone quote a more dire attempt at humour in a sitcom than this? Rimmer's talking about his brother giving him advice about sex, where he misheard the word clitoris as "spit on her wrist."

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

That "spit on her wrist" was so bad, it actually took a while to sink in. Like it was a reference to something prior that I'd missed. It was only after all logic was eliminated I realised that, yes, this was actually meant to be a side splitter.

It class how nobody in the cast has any timing anymore. It makes for a fascinating experience watching it. Chris Barrie didnt used to be this shit did he? My toes went into a curling position when Chris Barrie did his impression of Kryten which sounds like his Ronald Regan. I just imagine them all around the table going "Chris needs to get his impressions in."

Notice at the top there, Dominc Littlewood has joined the cast. Fresh blood maybe what this vehicle needs.

gallery-1501233783-reddwarfkrytens.jpg

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

This incredible paragraph from Rimmer's wiki page can't be true, surely?

During the filming for season 2 of MTV reality show Catfish: The TV Show, an episode was made in which the show was contacted by a 23-year-old female called Alicia from Des Moines, Iowa, who claimed that she had been in a four-year relationship with somebody posing online as British actor Chris Barrie; however, the two had never met. The episode was never broadcast due to licensing restrictions placed by the BBC for use of Barrie's image and likeness.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I thought there were a couple of decent jokes in the first half this week's episode (the one that's currently online), but it somehow managed to die on its arse after the commercial break.

• Paid Members

Spoilers for the latest Star Trek: Discovery episode:

Another really good episode. Lorca's seeming PTSD is an interesting element to examine, and something Star Trek has never really looked at before - although DS9 would sometimes ask tough questions about war, through Sisko. Good to see further characterisation all over. Stamets is apparently consistently high now from his experiences with the spore drive. And the show actually added to canon by explaining just exactly why Spock and Sarek always had issues. We also got a Constitution Class Enterprise mention!

The show has also been renewed for a second season, so that's great.

The 2nd episode (Siliconia) of the new series of RD isn't so bad but the one currently on UKTV play is just horrendous. It seems they are all phoning it and only Danny John-Jules as Cat is really trying. I think surprisingly the ratings have been good so they may even do a new series. But if the quality level further dips I see no point. RD X was actually OK to good and they should have concluded it then. XI didn't really have any memorable moments and XII has IMO only one OK episode but even that has had mixed reviews. I will stick with it, but only because it's Red Dwarf, if not I'd have just changed channels. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Is it me or is the current series of CYE the most Seinfeldy one yet? That's no bad thing mind you but it definitely feels more a traditional sitcom than usual.

it definitely has a different vibe. I am still enjoying it however

Larry shouting during the memorial service because he didnt have a seat was well over the top. Even Larry wouldnt be that much of a twat normally. Felt out of character to me. The rest of the episode was fantastic though. Especially Richard Lewis's self portrait of a young Michael Douglas

• Paid Members

Mindhunter is pretty good. The concept is super interesting and quite clearly has a TON of gas for a number of seasons.

My only gripe is some of the dialogue (in particular the early courting scenes), which made me cringe a little. Also, the two main women in it are supposed to be intellectuals, so are painted to be a bit cold and miserable and rarely not nags, which is annoyingly lazy.

It's on its final warning. None of the characters that your supposed to be behind are likeable in any way and even Negan has become a parody of himself in record time. Last nights opener was silly. It just needed Moe Syzlak saying "Alright Rick, I'm not going to lie to you, there's a good chance you can beat Negan, but you gotta visualise how you're going to win, OK?"