What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

NExt Week's Red Dwarf appears to have some kind of thinly veiled dig at consumerism hamfistedly shoehorned in. Because what Red Dwarf needed was social commentary.

Next weeks episode is up now on UKTV Play. It's actually not so bad in parts. Also *spoiler* ahead about the episode

Dave ages in the episode as he "buys" things from the company who takes over Red Dwarf and they charge him in years. Fast forward to the end and because his personality has to be rebooted (he can't see Rimmer, Cat and Krytie)Ā the one on the Red Dwarf database has to beĀ restored. So his personality reverts back toĀ when he's 21. Lister dresses like he does in the first seriesĀ and sings/humsĀ the "Titan" song in a scene reminiscent of the first ever episode. They also brought back Talkie in the previous episode so they are linking back to the older episodes.

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Finished Stranger Things 2

Ā 

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

My god Steve is the man. He was a yuppy coward in season 1 until he did his about turn at Winona Ryders shit tip house and made his glorious comeback with his baseball bat and ever since then he's gone from strength to strength. I mean are we meant to be rooting for him in the love triangle because i know i am. Ā As for his rival, his real rival Billy not the weirdo brother,Ā what a heel! These two would sell out the territories for sure. If he hits Nancy and Mikes hot mum in season 3 whilst Where's Wally sleeps I'm changing sexualities.

I think Dustin is my favourite kid but that Eleven sure can act. Hopper needed to punch more peopleĀ and I'm not sure i can forgive him for first sending fat Sean Astin off on his own but then leaving him to die. Last season Hopper would have went with him then punched the Demordogs in the face. He's still the top hero though, and that hat grab!

Ā 

Excellent write up mate. I realised at the end of Series 2 as I'd binge watched them all in about 3 days, that through not really paying attention and being a bit unaware of what he looks like these days, that I had been thinking that Matthew Modine was playing Hopper and not Papa. I mean really I need shooting for this.

The chemistry between Dustin and Steve was great, my favourite bit being

when he tells Dustin to act like he doesn't care and they're holed up in that bus/trailer waiting for Dart and he winks at Dustin and he replies "What are you winking for?" Absolutely floored me. Oh and obviously Dustin turning up at the dance with his hairdo was aces.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Next weeks episode is up now on UKTV Play. It's actually not so bad in parts. Also *spoiler* ahead about the episode

Ā 

Ā  Hide contents

Dave ages in the episode as he "buys" things from the company who takes over Red Dwarf and they charge him in years. Fast forward to the end and because his personality has to be rebooted (he can't see Rimmer, Cat and Krytie)Ā the one on the Red Dwarf database has to beĀ restored. So his personality reverts back toĀ when he's 21. Lister dresses like he does in the first seriesĀ and sings/humsĀ the "Titan" song in a scene reminiscent of the first ever episode. They also brought back Talkie in the previous episode so they are linking back to the older episodes.

Ā 

This series isn't doing it for me. The gag at the end was a nice touch, but the 20-odd minutes leading to it was less than stellar. Hopefully the finale next week isn't too bad.

In fairness it's an improvement over XI. The only real bad episode is the one with the anti-criticism ship. I think Red Dwarf still needs to exist within its own universe so to speak and referencing things like when Rimmer said about the BBC don't make logical sense. In the episode preview for the finale is titledĀ **spoiler ahead**

Skipper and mentions Rimmer so I'm guessing Ace Rimmer turns up in the finale

Iā€™m on holiday at the moment and want to download some things using Sky Q and/or BBC iPlayer so that I have some things to watch on the plane home.

Before I download Tunnel Bear or something could any of you provide any recommendations for me to use on the iPad.

I donā€™t mind paying for anything?

22 hours ago, FattHardy said:

Any ideas if it would work with a VPN? And if so which would be best to use?

I'm using PIA and iplayer works when connected to the Southampton and London VPNs, but I'd wait till black friday before buying one as they have decent sales.

(maybe scrap that, it's just now blocking me)

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

In fairness it's an improvement over XI. The only real bad episode is the one with the anti-criticism ship. I think Red Dwarf still needs to exist within its own universe so to speak and referencing things like when Rimmer said about the BBC don't make logical sense. In the episode preview for the finale is titledĀ **spoiler ahead**

Ā 

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

Skipper and mentions Rimmer so I'm guessing Ace Rimmer turns up in the finale

Ā 

I liked series X, they were always going to struggle to reach the heights of the first four series, and it didn't fill me with hope when they said they were hoping they could reach the standards of Red Dwarf V, which definitely had its high points. I'm glad they're getting back onto comedy, it just feels sometimes like the pacing is off, as I've stated previously. There are decent jokes here and there as well.

Yep reaching for prior high points is an unobtainable goal for them really. Series 1-5 really was the shows highest points where it got better by the series. I do agree the timing/pacing is a little off. Could be down to the scripting. Like you've said it seems they take most of an episode to reach the punchline so to speak. I like the interplay between the characters best which is what the shows based on and the trademark of the strongest episodes.

I think Cat is the character who's evolved the most in the Red Dwarf universe. Rimmer has lost some of his snap and in theory should be more cantankerous and witty with his put downs. Lister historically didĀ things to wind up Rimmer but that doesn't seem to be referenced now. Kryten who broke his programming should be in theory more "human" yet he's still a service droid and general dogsbody. So considering it's series XII the characters should be more evolved. I think had they had the advances in technology back then in the 1980s the earlier series could have been even better. But again if they had too many special effects it would have detracted from the story. RD also seems not to stick too close to a story arc so there's unanswered questions and each episode seems within its own universe so when they do refer to things in the past it actually does attempt to make some sort of linkage to the story.Ā 

• Awards Moderator
On 03/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, Sergio Mendacious said:

Hurry up ā€” it's good enough for the first few episodes, but it really picks up when they kick off the feud between Cindy Lauper and Captain Lou.

Finished it tonight. Good enough for you?

Ā 

I liked season 1, but I loved Stranger Things 2. Might be one of my favourite seasons of any show.