What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Do you live in Hull?

West Bromwich. I'm with EE and its been shit for about 2 months, but as I know I'm moving out, I've not bothered to do anything about it. EE are shit for customer service at the best of times 

I can't wait to hear your review of the first 12 minutes of Better Call Saul.

I started watching The Curse of Oak Island. Does it go down the route of all the other History channel shows of obviously staging shit to give the show a better narrative?

18 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Binge watched Glow in a few hours. Really enjoyed it, a nice little watch.

just started El Chapo which is bloody excellent. Anyone else seen it? Netflix are on a roll aren't they?

Off sick, so just finished up El Chapo. Watch this series, its bloody great. Good pacing, well written, well acted. Marco De La O who plays the title character is a sexy shit as well. 

Starting Narcos now I reckon. See what all the fuss is about. 

On 09/01/2017 at 11:02 PM, tiger_rick said:

Detectorists is my favourite show for ages. Think I've mentioned it in the thread before. Such brilliantly defined and likable characters who make the mundane fascinating. Only took the first episode for me to decide I loved it. When I realised allow much I already liked and cared about Lance and Andy.

Becky's lovely an' all.

I watched the first series over the last two nights. I liked the first 2 episodes but the following 4 were outstanding and I'll definitely do Series 2 over the weekend.

I don't know how to do spoilers properly on the new UKFF, so I have done some coloured white below.

Highlight it to read I suppose...

My favourite parts were probably the petty squabbling between Andy & Lance and Simon & Garfunkel. Some gold one-liners in amongst that lot.

Also, with Becky's wisecracks and dismissive attitude about the thing Andy is passionate about (which resonated with me living with a wife who doesn't get wrestling) by Episode 3 I was rooting for him to bin her and hook up with Sophie. Then the hint Sophie was with the other team and Becky taking a pregnancy test came along mid-series and the whole thing became much more complicated. In a good way.

Edited by dopper

• Moderators

Out of curiosity, I'm watching the first episode of the reboot of Battle of the Network Stars. It's basically the American version of Superstars, where Kevin Keegan fell off his bike in the 70s, and in its heyday was a massive thing featuring people like Telly Savalas and at-the-peak-of-his-fame Mr. T. Goes without saying, the modern one is played out literally in an empty field with no audience, featuring people like a bloated Balki from Perfect Strangers hobbling around a running track, coached by Ronda Rousey.

I bring all this up just because Tom Arnold no-shows at the beginning, and when he finally arrives, he's the drunkest anyone has ever been on TV. They've not acknowledged it, other than "Tom's dehydrated," but he's slurring and staggering, and in a worse state than that time Paul Danan was on BBC3's Liquid News grinding his jawbone to dust. He may die.

• Moderators

Bosch is great. A detective who doesn't play by the rules is the most cliched genre, but it avoids all of the tropes you'd probably be dreading (he's not one of those 'troubled pricks with a drink problem' ones), is nicely serialised, as opposed to episodic case-of-the-week shite, and Titus Welliver is always good watchin'. There's 3 seasons of it, and each is probably better than the one before.

The Man in the High Castle sets up a super intriguing premise in the last scene of the first episode, then doesn't return to it at all for the entire season. Second season was so slow I gave up. They take an amazing idea with so much potential and go down the least interesting path with it (conflicted double/triple-agent lovestory! zzzzzz).

Those are the only two I've seen, but you never really hear any talk about any of the other Amazon exclusives, which immediately makes me assume they're not any good.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Better Call Saul may be one of my favourite shows ever. With Netflix releasing an episode a week, it generated proper old school excitement at the Scratch house with the wife often getting giddy on a Tuesday as there was "a new Saul tonight!".

The writing is superb and the character development was handled so well. Having watched Breaking Bad we obviously know what the hooks are in the future and the intrigue of how the writers are going to latch in them is just brilliant. 

I was genuinely gutted when it ended last week 🙁

I'm fully with you on this. It's superb tele. As you say the character development is really, really good, even more so due to it basically being a prequel to arguably one of the best series ever made.

I think what's really great about the development of characters, is the fact that with even peripheral characters you get some indepth insight. 

Obviously Mike is Fucking brilliant, but this last series did a great job of portraying the likes of Nacho and the Salamamca family. 

As you say, we know where it all eventually leads, but the build and development is spot on.

I did see that ending coming a mile off, and can hazard a guess at the implications going forward, but it's the journey of those implications is what makes this a bloody good watch.

Definitely agree on the weekly episodes. Bulk releases are great in many respects but it makes the shows feel almost disposable. An entire season can be over and done with in less than a week without giving anything time to sink in or build anticipation. It's the evolution of crash TV - complete instant gratification.