What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

I thought this season was the best one yet. I like the Nacho stuff, Jimmy vs Chuck has been excellent and even the Kim stuff has been alright. Obviously the best stuff is Jimmy's manipulation of old people.

• Paid Members

The missus likes all these grim dramas, and was wondering if the new season of Unforgotten is any good. Or has anyone watched Hinterland, Whitechapel or Top of the Lake and if so, are they any good? Is Fearless any use?

I think we’ve watched everything fucking else at this stage (except stuff that’s wrapped up in an hour like CSI and the likes, which I’ve no interest in) and I’m out of tv shows.

So many questions...

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Based on recommendations in here, I started Riverdale last night. I hope it picks up, it feels like Dawson's Creek after ep 1.

My girlfriend's been watching it which means I've caught chunks of it. It does seem very Dawson's Creek to me, maybe a little bit edgier, but it hasn't caught my attention enough to actually sit down and watch it with her.

She loves the Archie comics though (to the extent that Josie and The Pussycats is one of her favourite films) so I imagine that helps to keep her interested.

• Awards Moderator
14 minutes ago, Au said:

She loves the Archie comics though (to the extent that Josie and The Pussycats is one of her favourite films) so I imagine that helps to keep her interested.

I've never heard of either of these things. Is that a blocker? 

• Paid Members

So, all the characters are based on the Archie comic characters but updated to be a modern day highschool with issues that are relatable to a modern audience. 

Josie and The Pussycats is a fairly campy 90's chick flick about a girlband who feature in the comics and in the Riverdale series itself.

Though, I wouldn't say it's necessary to be familiar with either to enjoy the TV show, it's just particularly helping in her instance.

Edited by Au

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Au said:

Josie and The Pussycats is a fairly campy 90's chick flick about a girlband who feature in the comics and in the Riverdale series itself.

The film was such a massive bomb (released in 2001). What could go wrong when you have the brilliant Tara Reid playing a lead role?! I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and quite liked it. It was no Jem, mind you.

Edited by PunkStep

4 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I thought this season was the best one yet. I like the Nacho stuff, Jimmy vs Chuck has been excellent and even the Kim stuff has been alright. Obviously the best stuff is Jimmy's manipulation of old people.

My problem with the Nacho story is that I knew where it was going, there was only really one outcome if you've seen Breaking Bad.

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

My problem with the Nacho story is that I knew where it was going, there was only really one outcome if you've seen Breaking Bad.

A prequel like this is always going to suffer from this issue unfortunately. I think they've done a good job of making the viewer care about what happens to Nacho and Papa. I assume he dies, like. 

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

The film was such a massive bomb (released in 2001). What could go wrong when you have the brilliant Tara Reid playing a lead role?! I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and quite liked it. It was no Jem, mind you.

Rachael Leigh Cook 😍

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Rachael Leigh Cook 😍

And Rosario Dawson, with a support cast including Alan Cumming and Parker Posey! I haven't watched it in about ten years but it's a massively entertaining watch, with a great soundtrack. The product placement gags, the comment on the music industry, it's a great film. The tv show is nowhere near as much fun

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

And Rosario Dawson, with a support cast including Alan Cumming and Parker Posey! I haven't watched it in about ten years but it's a massively entertaining watch, with a great soundtrack. The product placement gags, the comment on the music industry, it's a great film. The tv show is nowhere near as much fun

Add me to this club - I really liked Josie & The Pussycats!

• Paid Members

The pacing of American Gods was bonkers, wasn't it? Got to a crucial point in the story, then spent two episodes slowing down to a snail's pace, and ended right as the story proper was actually getting started!

The last episode of Twin Peaks was class, though. Really starting to feel more like Twin Peaks, and feeling like it's going somewhere, even if very gradually.

Edited by BomberPat

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

The pacing of American Gods was bonkers, wasn't it? Got to a crucial point in the story, then spent two episodes slowing down to a snail's pace, and ended right as the story proper was actually getting started!

From the makers of The Walking Dead?