What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

Finally got around to trying the Training Day series. I'm not saying it's more cartoony than the film, but in the first episode, Bill Paxton interrogates a suspect by having a baboon sit on their lap and playing Daft Punk (which the monkey was established earlier as hating), and then having a shootout with a blowtorch-wielding mob boss in an Old West ghost town.

• Paid Members
On ā€Ž11ā€Ž/ā€Ž06ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 11:04 AM, SuperBacon said:

Just started The Thick Of It. Like what I've seen so far but bit uncomfortable watching Chris Langham.Ā 

Yeah, I've not been back to watch the first series since it was first on, just never been able to get particularly enthused about watching him! He's done away with by the second series/the election special one, though.

Got caught up on the last three episodes of American Gods over the weekend;

Ā 

Spoiler

I really don't like that they've brought Laura back from the dead - it feels like a Kochanski in Red Dwarf thing, where she's far better as a character from Shadow's past that he (and the viewer) can project any kind of meaning on to, than as a living (well, sort of) character participating in the plot.

For me, Laura is the embodiment of the past Shadow left behind -Ā her death, and the discovery of her infidelity, is the first thing to make Shadow question what he knows to be true, before he's eventually left questioning everything he knows to be real. She serves a purpose as a symbol of Shadow's previous concept of reality, and her death & the affair as the moment that broke down, as a sort of corrupted innocence. We should only see her through the lens of Shadow's memories of her. Now, we see that she's actually not a very likeable person, she's argumentative, she's wholly unrepentant and shameless about having cheated on the husband that she's now trying to win back, even after her best friend has called her out on her behaviour. Now, it just makes Shadow look like a bit of an idiot for ever believing her in the first place.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I hadn't read the book, and was just taking all this at face value, but it just doesn't really work for me. EpisodeĀ 4 - the one all about Laura - was the first time I found myself doubting the series.

Beyond that, I don't think it fits the mythology. Unless there's a twist coming, Laura has no connection to the Gods. She's just an ordinary person who was able to come back from the dead. That muddies the waters for me - it's the Gods that have power in this universe, having supernatural things go on outside of their control undermines that point. That all she had to do was run away from the Grim Reaper while his back was turned made it feel like lazy writing, too. Speaking of lazy writing, her being inexplicably super strong feels the same. It feels like the writers thought of some cool set-pieces or ideas based around that, and just ran with it, regardless of whether it makes narrative sense. It's also created this psychic link thing between her and Shadow which, again, I think feels unnecessary and lazy.

Also, I can't get over the fact that the dead woman smokes. Her heart doesn't beat, so I'd assume she also doesn't breathe - backed up by her being able to pass for dead in the hot tub and the morgue after the fight with Mad Sweeney - yes she's still able to smoke a cigarette.

Ā 

The upside to Laura is that it's created an excuse for her to go on a road trip with Mad Sweeney and the cab driver, two characters that I'm glad to see getting more screen time, and American Gods should feel like an insane road trip story. I'm just not looking forward to her reuniting with Shadow, as while I fully expected the series to deviate from the book, her being around is a pretty significant shift that I can't come up with a resolution for that would make me happy.

On the plus side, Mr. Wednesday continues to be fantastic, Gillian Anderson is absurdly good, and Crispin Glover's one scene so far was absolutely magnificent, so can't wait for him to show up more. The switch to the focus being more explicitly on Old Gods vs. New Gods seemed a bit abrupt, as we've not really grasped the nature of either yet, but could make for some fun stuff moving forwards, and gives a larger role to some of the best performers in the series, so thatĀ can't be bad.

Ā 

• Paid Members

If there's anyone on here that enjoys music docus and/or is a fan of The Grateful Dead, Long Strange Trip on Amazon Prime is an absolute must watch.

It's anotherĀ Scorsese produced wonderpiece on a fantastic band. A great watch.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I always thought we didn't see enough of The Fucker. I know he was in In The Loop but it was as a different character.Ā 

I loved The Fucker, and yeah his character was completely different in the film.Ā 

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STEW-POT

Then proceeds to pretend shoot everyone with a 'fuck' gunshot sound

• Paid Members

Just got round to watching a couple of trailers for two upcoming shows.Ā 

First was Star Trek Discovery. Man, it was not good. Like watching a low budget version of the new Trek movies crossed with some of the better fan made Trek shows you can find YouTube.Ā 

The other was The Orvile and it looks like a lot of fun. Obviously very Galaxy Quest-ish. Kind of the version of Star Trek I sometimes envisage in my head when thinking about what normal people on a space ship might get up to.Ā