What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

10 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Just got round to watching a couple of trailers for two upcoming shows. 

First was Star Trek Discovery. Man, it was not good. Like watching a low budget version of the new Trek movies crossed with some of the better fan made Trek shows you can find YouTube. 

The other was The Orvile and it looks like a lot of fun. Obviously very Galaxy Quest-ish. Kind of the version of Star Trek I sometimes envisage in my head when thinking about what normal people on a space ship might get up to. 

His wish finally came true?

• Paid Members

Taskmaster is brilliant, guaranteed to get plenty of laughs from me throughout each episode. Greg Davies is so well suited to that bastard authoritarian role (not surprising given his past career) and I end up liking all of the contestants pretty quickly.

Except Tim Key, he can piss off. Shits up everything he's in.

Edited by PunkStep

17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Taskmaster is brilliant, guaranteed to get plenty of laughs from me throughout each episode. Greg Davies is so well suited to that bastard authoritarian role (not surprising given his past career) and I end up liking all of the contestants pretty quickly.

Except Tim Key, he can piss off. Shits up everything he's in.

I BEG YOUR FUCKING PARDON. Great in Mid Morning Matters, Alpha Papa, funny in Peep Show. Boooo to you PunkStep

Is Paul Chowdry in this one? His deadpan shot was the best thing about the last series I watched.

• Awards Moderator

Paul Chowdry and Romesh Ranganathan should have a deadpan-off. No Paul in the latest sadly. 

"Photo of me innit." 

And PunkStep I'm afraid Tim Key makes a tiny appearance in the most recent episode (he has a creative role in every episode, him and Alex Horne are bezzy bum chums). 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I BEG YOUR FUCKING PARDON. Great in Mid Morning Matters, Alpha Papa, funny in Peep Show. Boooo to you PunkStep

His appearance made everything you mentioned worse! Hated his characters in Peep Show and Partridge, just so dull. At least in Alpha Papa he's gagged and taped to a chair.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Is Paul Chowdry in this one? His deadpan shot was the best thing about the last series I watched.

Hugh Dennis was this series deadpan comedian (each series has one)

Love Taskmaster, my favorite funny show on TV. Alex Horne is great and already interested in the US Version with him and Reggie Watts as the TaskMaster

• Moderators

The Handmaid's Tale just finished for the year, and my God did they stick the landing. Amazing stuff the whole way through.

Similarly, The Leftovers just had its series finale, with one of the most satisfying endings of all time. It's a tragedy that show didn't get more love, as it was incredibly inventive, fucked up, and hilarious. While the first season was great, the second one had an unbelievable rise in quality to be one of the best things on TV in years. The description of 'an R-rated Lost' is an appropriate one, but Leftovers had the advantage of a shorter run, with no dead weight. Highly advise everyone to check it out if they haven't, or were put off by Damon Lindelof's involvement, as you will be thoroughly satisfied when the end comes. Unless you're a bell.

• Paid Members

Agreed. The Leftovers ending was absolutely sublime and the best TV I've watched in years. It makes me dream of a world where Lost was made on HBO with 12 episode seasons. After going off Damon Lindelof after the terrible final season of Lost and Prometheus I now can't wait to see what he does next.

On 15/06/2017 at 10:16 AM, LaGoosh said:

Agreed. The Leftovers ending was absolutely sublime and the best TV I've watched in years. It makes me dream of a world where Lost was made on HBO with 12 episode seasons. After going off Damon Lindelof after the terrible final season of Lost and Prometheus I now can't wait to see what he does next.

Agreed, loved the leftovers and it's crazy tangents. Final scene with Nora and Kevin is up there with the best of them. 

Need a new show now! Any recommendations? 

• Awards Moderator
On 15/06/2017 at 10:16 AM, LaGoosh said:

By the sounds of it, an HBO adaptation of Watchmen.