What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Has anybody watched Channel 4's thing about a real jury taking part in a staged trial? I'm in two minds over whether it'll be worth my time.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I watched the Handmaid's Tale. It's brilliantly done, and utterly bleak and uncomfortable, as it needs to be. So much so, though, that I can't see myself watching another episode.

Have you read the book? I only finished it last week and the first episode was really faithful to the novel. Utter gut punches of emotion throughout that first episode, and I'm looking forward, but also dreading episode two.

Elisabeth Moss is excellent as Offred though, really manages to get so much across just with her facial expressions. Not seen her in much outside of Mad Men, anyone seen her in much else worth checking out? 

• Paid Members

I have read it, yeah. It's a masterpiece, and the first episode was extremely faithful to it. Like you said, just gut punches of emotion...I just don't know if I can handle that across a whole series!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Have you read the book? I only finished it last week and the first episode was really faithful to the novel. Utter gut punches of emotion throughout that first episode, and I'm looking forward, but also dreading episode two.

Elisabeth Moss is excellent as Offred though, really manages to get so much across just with her facial expressions. Not seen her in much outside of Mad Men, anyone seen her in much else worth checking out? 

She's great in Top of the Lake which is well worth checking out.

5 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Has anybody watched Channel 4's thing about a real jury taking part in a staged trial? I'm in two minds over whether it'll be worth my time.

I am currently watching it, in the middle of episode 4 out of 5 and it has been OK, don't know whether I would recommend it though. Think they have stretched it out a bit and could've been covered in 2-3 episodes, but interested enough to keep with it and find out what happens

6 hours ago, mim731 said:

I've watched the first 7 episodes that have been broadcasted in the US and it deviates quite a lot from the book at about episode 3 but it's still very, very good though.

My girlfriend, who loves the book, hated the show when they started to take a different path from the book, but now she can't get enough of it.

52 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Just feels really disjointed and I get the idea of the showcases but just doesn't really gel?

Isla Fisher though and actually being able to fancy Maebe without feeling weird is good. 

Seen her on Broad City?

I don't find Handmaid's Tale that gut wrenching or hard to watch, is there something wrong with me? Maybe it's the dystopian setting but it just doesn't get me all depressed and anxious like I thought it would. It is very good though and I'm interested to see where the show goes.