What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

On 27/06/2017 at 2:08 PM, SuperBacon said:

I watched both Crystal Maze specials on Saturday with my 7 year old and we both loved it, so that was nice.

I was probably around that age when I watched it, and I know it's aimed at a slightly older demographic but if it appeals to littler ones they could be on to a bit of a winner.

The childish appeal of themed zones and random character work has always been more compelling than listening to a group of strangers yelling bad, contradictory, or downright redundant advice at each other for two minutes at a time.

"Come on, Graham!"

"That's it, take your time!"

"Need to hurry up, Graham!"

"You can do it!"

"Come on, Graham!"

"Get the crystal!"

"Win the game, Graham!"

"You can do it!"

"You need to get the crystal!"

"Loads of time, keep it moving!"

"Do well!"

"Come on, Graham!"

• Paid Members

Egg Shen, the stoning scene is indeed horrible but it's definitely by far the most violent and gruesome moment of the entire show. There's barely any violence at all in season 2 and 3. I recommend you give it another try, especially as season 2 and 3 are so unbelievably amazing.

Introduced my girlfriend to Spartacus and we finished the first season.  I had a blast revisiting it, Ashur is such a wonderful fucking cunt and Quintus is just sublime.  She is a fan of Arrow or whichever one Manu Bennett is in.  He will forever be known as Penis Man by her now, he is the only announced guest at a comic thing in Manchester at the end of the month and would like to hear him talk but he will just be asked about Steve Bellend related nonsense and not a proper telly show.

• Moderators

The cinema episode really made me want to see what he could do with a tv show that he isn't in. Him and his mates are not good at acting mostly, and it is a testament to the writing that it is still as good as it was.

The female lead this season was very good.

6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The cinema episode really made me want to see what he could do with a tv show that he isn't in. Him and his mates are not good at acting mostly, and it is a testament to the writing that it is still as good as it was.

The female lead this season was very good.

Yeah spot on. Like Seinfeld, you kind of forgive him his shitty acting. 

Alright guys, feeling pretty low so thought I'd put down some thoughts on Breaking Bad, which I started last Friday and I'm on Series 5, Episode 10 and gonna try and finish off today. 

1.) Walter White is the most psychopathic character I can remember on TV. A grade one mentalist, much more so than Tony Soprano. Just a cold, cold fish. 

2.) On the point of The Sopranos, nothing will ever replace that for me as the finest acted, written, shot programme, but fuck me BB comes close. Some of the locations, cinematography is beautiful. The setting certainly helps 

3.) The relationship between Jesse and Walter is at the same time, loving and heartbreaking (ala Tony and Christopher)

4.) Aaron Paul is incredibly underrated. He is at times, mesmerising. Some of Jesse's moments have absolutely cracked me up as well. Seeing the big lab for the first time, when he mentions the big magnet etc. 

5.) Love Hank Schrader

6.) Looking forward to watching Better Call Saul as much as finishing Breaking Bad. 

Much more I've neglected but yeah, I have immensely enjoyed watching this over the last week. 

Oh and Series 2 of Last Chance U has just been added to Netflix. Excited for that too

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Alright guys, feeling pretty low so thought I'd put down some thoughts on Breaking Bad, which I started last Friday and I'm on Series 5, Episode 10 and gonna try and finish off today. 

1.) Walter White is the most psychopathic character I can remember on TV. A grade one mentalist, much more so than Tony Soprano. Just a cold, cold fish. 

I once heard someone describe his character arc as the rise of a supervillain, and it totally feels like that. His transformation, while in many respects is radical, is totally believable. Nothing he does seems like an aberration or out of character decision, just a ramping up of the circumstances and him adjusting to it. Even when he's desperate his thought process never wavers from logic. It's a fascinating portrayal, and Cranston is bloody excellent. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, mim731 said:

I once heard someone describe his character arc as the rise of a supervillain, and it totally feels like that. His transformation, while in many respects is radical, is totally believable. Nothing he does seems like an aberration or out of character decision, just a ramping up of the circumstances and him adjusting to it. Even when he's desperate his thought process never wavers from logic. It's a fascinating portrayal, and Cranston is bloody excellent. 

I think the turning point is with Jessie's girlfriend. After that, there was no turning back