What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Wow, no offence meant but that's kinda wild. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? I've not come across anyone who doesn't regularly watch some streaming service below 60.

Chest is mainly right. I quite like Preacher on Amazon, though. And I did like The Man In The High Castle but they fucked that up.

3 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Wow, no offence meant but that's kinda wild. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? I've not come across anyone who doesn't regularly watch some streaming service below 60.

Chest is mainly right. I quite like Preacher on Amazon, though. And I did like The Man In The High Castle but they fucked that up.

I'm guessing that question was aimed at me, early 30's but between work and the usual things I try and catch on Sky (and sports) I rarely get time to watch TV Series but just was curious how good they are on Netflix/Amazon, I have seen films on there with the other half but not really TV series and I have the WWE Network so kind of with the times I hope. I will need to check some recommendations out though, I saw a few of making of a murderer but thought that was more documentary than a TV Series which was decent. 

• Paid Members

I liked American Gods, but felt the first couple of episodes had a lot of promise that wasn't particularly lived up to. I actually really liked Ian McShane in it, and thought the bloke playing Shadow was fine, as Shadow should be more or less a blank slate anyway. There was a subplot I thought was utterly unnecessary, and the pacing was bizarre - ending one episode with a major plot development, only for the next episode to do nothing but explore irrelevant backstory of a given character, or ending the whole series right as the proper story was getting started. Class performances from Gillian Anderson and Crispin Glover in it, though. Hard to disagree with the "style over substance" assessment really, though.

I started watching The Tick last night...I'm not entirely sold on it after four episodes, but it's good fun without me having to pay too much attention to it, which is a welcome change from the obsessive poring over detail I've been doing with Twin Peaks. I'm just not sure the mood is quite right for what I want from The Tick - the whole thing with Arthur being traumatised and potentially ill just doesn't sit right with me, especially the suggestion that The Tick might have been a figment of his imagination. Fuck that. It's funny, and often tongue-in-cheek, but I thought it would be outright goofier.

There have been some good lines, though - "this is not a poncho library" in particular.