What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I have rinsed through Atypical in the last couple days. It was decent! Not amazing, but something a bit different and worth a watch.

I'd chalk it up as a win for Netflix.

My 3 year old just got diagnosed with Autsim a few weeks ago and we watched the first couple and felt a little uncomfortable. The mother character was really pissing me off as well, but I thought it has a good cast and will watch the rest.

Also started Ozark. Sorry guys, but I am enjoying it.

• Moderators

I didn't know it was something they could diagnose that young. But then, there's an awful lot I don't know about the condition, so the show was a good way for me to learn a little more. The mother is annoying. But they round the characters out nicely and you understand everyone's motives and drivers better as it goes on. There are no real villains.

That all said, as a couple so early into the journey of what it's going to mean to you and your kid's life, I can see how it could make you uncomfortable and possibly make things feel a bit more daunting. It's not going anywhere - you can always watch it later if you're not feeling it right now.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Also started Ozark. Sorry guys, but I am enjoying it.

No need to apologise. I liked it too. It isn't groundbreaking or anything but I finished the show in a few days as it was compelling enough to where I always wanted to watch the next episode. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I didn't know it was something they could diagnose that young. But then, there's an awful lot I don't know about the condition, so the show was a good way for me to learn a little more. The mother is annoying. But they round the characters out nicely and you understand everyone's motives and drivers better as it goes on. There are no real villains.

That all said, as a couple so early into the journey of what it's going to mean to you and your kid's life, I can see how it could make you uncomfortable and possibly make things feel a bit more daunting. It's not going anywhere - you can always watch it later if you're not feeling it right now.

I think they normally diagnose from 3 upwards. Our son is a few months shy of that (he's not actually 3 until October). However he has missed a lot of his milestones which lead to additional support and consultants and a diagnosis. Autism is such a big thing though. He is non verbal (makes noises but has not said any words at all). He finds it a struggle to focus on things unless he wants to do them and he is very clingy to his mum and hardly wants in interact with anyone else. It was breaking my heart because I messed up bonding with my daughter for the first 9 months or so of her life (I was in her life, but I was having some mental issues and didn't really bond with her, but were great now!) so when we had out son I tried really hard to bond and its only been the last few months or so that he lets me do things with him. It is still rare but is quite common in autistic children.

My wife/their Mum, has been great. She has been reading books, taking him to support groups and making sure we try and do the things in the best way for him. The only good thing having a diagnosis so early is we are getting the right support for him which will hopefully help his development. Like you I didn't know much about Autism but it is an interesting condition for sure.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

No need to apologise. I liked it too. It isn't groundbreaking or anything but I finished the show in a few days as it was compelling enough to where I always wanted to watch the next episode. 

I thought Bateman was great in it (only on episode 5). One of his best roles next to Michael Bluth and Pepper Brookes

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

My wife was watching Riviera on Now TV.  I don't think I've seen anything that's supposed to be made by talented actors, directors, writers etc be so wooden.  Crossroads looked like the RSC in comparison.

When I heard the word Rivera it reminded me of two things, so I never bothered with it and sounds like I was right

Why I can remember something as stupid as a foreign soap shown by ITV at 3am in the morning in the mid 90's but struggle to remember important things in life I will never know

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

My wife was watching Riviera on Now TV.  I don't think I've seen anything that's supposed to be made by talented actors, directors, writers etc be so wooden.  Crossroads looked like the RSC in comparison.

That's Sky-produced dramas in a nutshell really, isn't it? Big names, cream of the crop of British actors, a nice budget and yet they're always style over substance. I won't go into detail about Fortitude, because Kaz is watching it, but that's a prime example. They're always so disappointing. Falcon was pretty good, though.

On 30 August 2017 at 8:27 AM, Really Big Shoe said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-free-sports-tv-channel-11076516 Unfortunately it's not going to be on Virgin Media. Going to show 3 live NHL games a week.

Saw the England Under 21's game and the quality looked terrible. Not in HD and have seen better quality streams than this. 

53 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The 1997 election is on BBC Parliament today, if you fancy living in the past for a bit. 

Watching it now.  Totally different emotions from watching it on the night.  Ah the brutal gift of hindsight, how our hopes were crushed.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Watching it now.  Totally different emotions from watching it on the night.  Ah the brutal gift of hindsight, how our hopes were crushed.

That's an evergreen quote that applies to politics there. Disappointment aside, there's loads to enjoy. My highlight so far is David Mellor's furious fizzog after losing Putney. Oh and Dimbleby calling Frank Skinner "Ken"/