What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
On 05/08/2017 at 10:42 AM, Silky Kisser said:

After it being named dropped on pretty much every Wrestling podcast I listen to, I downloaded the first Season of Alone. About 6 episodes into the first season and I'm enjoying it no end. Brilliant stuff.

Had a quick butchers on the usual places but can't seem to find seasons 2,3, or 4 knocking about though.

Any of you fine souls aware of where I can get the rest of them? I'd heartily recommend it.

Is it the History Channel survival show?  Fancied giving that a go.

Just binged Luke Cage.  Enjoyed it, but like all the Netflix Marvel shows, could do with cutting the number of episodes by at least a third.  Started on Iron Fist now, and I think the same will be happening with that.

Just found out the final series of The Strain won't be shown over here, which is a pisser.  Thanks to Kodi, I will see it though.

• Awards Moderator

Well I've done a search in the thread to see if it's been mentioned and it's coming up blank, but it may have been discussed given the shit nature of the engine.

Anyway, Last Chance U is bloody brilliant.

2-season documentary following an East Mississippi college American Football team, made up of misfits, second-chancers and lads who need a shot at making it. They have a great track record of providing players to the big leagues, but it's an incredible watch. Not much more I can say without ruining it but I can't recommend it enough. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Is it the History Channel survival show?  Fancied giving that a go.

Yep. I haven't finished season 1 yet but it's a real easy watch that's pretty captivating. Well worth  a look. 

• Paid Members

I don't get round to watching as many tv series as I'd like, I know there's loads of good stuff about but I can barely get my shit together to watch one episode of Game of Thrones a week. However I finally got round to watching Feud -the show about Bette Davis' rivalry with John Crawford and it was incredible, I watched the first episode not knowing where it would lead me and it was so brilliant that within a couple of days I'd finished the lot, squeezing it into every spare moment I had. I can't say enough good stuff about the show, I can't imagine anyone not thinking it's great. The show is about two old actresses who hate each other and have been somewhat left behind and have to claw their way into staying in the fading limelight, it's a pretty juicy role for an actress of that age and the leads both absolutely killed it. The episode revolving around the Oscars was unbelievably watchable. Highly recommended, one of the best biopics I've ever seen. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Saw an advert on Drama about The Bill being shown from the beginning, weekdays at 12pm. Straight away I thought there would be a couple of guys on here interested in that.

YES! Can't fucking wait for this. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Yep. I haven't finished season 1 yet but it's a real easy watch that's pretty captivating. Well worth  a look. 

I'll give it a go then.  Had a look on Kodi (covenant) and there seems to be 4 seasons on there.

On 10/08/2017 at 11:14 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

Ozark is fucking awful. I'm very disappointed in it, especially considering most of my mates in reality and on Facebook were all having a canary as to how good it is.
Nothing happens, and when it seems like something is about to happen, it almost always cuts to a random shot of a tree, a patch of mud or a tracking shot of Jason Bateman's forehead.

I'm about half way in and yeah, it's pretty fucking shit. Nobody is likable, the plot is ridiculous, the characters are dull and, like you say, nothing seems to happen. It's like a really badly written Breaking Bad, had BB started with the final season and skipped all of the background and character development. 

Edited by CTXRussomark

• Paid Members

They are showing The Bill on Drama from the beginning. I'd seen the first couple before but not many after that until I started watching it originally a few years later.

It's worth watching just for who turns up. 6 episodes in and Billy Mitchell, Dot Cotton, Fred Elliott, Sean Bean, Meera Syal, Liz Smith and Norman "Desmond" Beaton have so far.

Great line from a middle aged woman in episode 6. "I told my old man if West Ham does Spurs this Saturday I'm going back to watching wrestling on the telly".

Edited by tiger_rick

Without sounding like a snob, are Netflix/Amazon series a good watch? Heard a few say they love such and such on say Netflix (which my misses has) but always thought it would be low budget compared to series you may see on TV? Or am I just behind the times?

Also Tin Star starts soon, looks interesting.

• Paid Members

There are so many good series that are only available on Netflix or Amazon. Look at the Emmy nominations this year, Netflix is second only to HBO (naturally) in terms of nominations.

I don't have Amazon, but depending on what you like there are so many good shows on Netflix. Stranger Things, Narcos, Orange is the new black (first series, mainly), GLOW, Better Call Saul and Making a Murderer (documentary) range from very good to bloody superb. The shows certainly aren't low budget compared to TV shows. Well apart from Thrones, but that has had an increased budget over the years because it's a phenomenon.