UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
I'd rather be running All Star than any of the other promotions, but not if my primary goal was to have fans chanting the promotion's initials.

This sums up the philosophy of too many indie feds. It's ironic how many people want to break into the business but don't see it as such. If you're not doing it for the financial gain then you're breaking into your hobby.

See, I agree with half your points there. Getting hot to the point where you have fans chanting the promotions initials is a good thing and is what a promoter smaller than All Star wants if he's going to make money - it's an indication of brand loyalty, which is incredibly rare and incredibly valuable, because it means you now have an almost guaranteed source of revenue. The fans chanting the initials are the ones who will always buy tickets, will buy the promotion's T-shirts (ECf'nW and FWA, for example), will shell out a ton of cash on special merch and DVDs, and will be the first people to generate revenue for any new products or services you diversify into. A small promotion doesn't just want that, it needs that if it's going to get anywhere without using All Star's model.

It's not smarky in itself, it's sensible - the smarky bit is when the promoter is doing it solely for that, and nothing more.

EDIT: In fact, here's an even better and more infamous example: the original 1PW. Gauntley managed to get so many of his fans into seeing themselves as part of the "1PW Family", they flat out refused to believe anything bad about him for SO long, kept attending his shows and kept getting fleeced by him. This "solidarity"was so strong, they kept following 1PW through all its incarnations, and even followed Gauntley to his other endeavours that were pretty much stillborn, Pro Wrestling 101 and Pro Wrestling Republic. Guy had his PR down amazingly.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
The fans chanting the initials are the ones who will always buy tickets, will buy the promotion's T-shirts (ECf'nW and FWA, for example)...

Probably not the best examples to choose seeing as they lost money and packed up shop? When you pander to a small crowd, if you do something that upsets the apple cart you're fucked.

I'd say that's the wrong way of looking at it - I reckon that fierce brand loyalty is what kept them going as long as they did, longer than they had any material right to. The mistake they both made was not to capitalise further on it. FWA stopped running shows regularly, didn't co-ordinate with each other so that merch didn't get out in time. Heyman didn't seem to be big on maximising revenue streams (but then perhaps he'd painted himself into a corner by positioning ECW as a "rebel" outfit that would never "sell out" and corporatise with merch and whatnot).

Sure, the chanting started with a small crowd, but when that small crowd is vociferous enough, it carries through to the others, and that's when you need to start trying to make cash on it.

• Paid Members
I maybe wrong, but I think it may have been due to Savage wanting to win the belt and Jarrett not wanting to drop it.

Sure, blame Jarrett. Like he's the only one that thought Randy Savage winning the World title in 2005 was a bad idea.

Dusty Rhodes (so maybe take this with a pinch of salt) said a few years ago that Savage, very soon after signing, realised he wasn't capable of going in the ring anymore, hence the ridiculous debut where he appeared for 30 seconds and pinned Jarrett with a punch. Right after that he spoke to Dusty and they agreed to part ways.

I always read that TNA wanted to promote the title match and Savage became fairly insistent that he would only do it if he was winning the title, which TNA never intended to acquiesce to, but even before the two sides could agree on the particulars of the match, Savage flipped his lid when he realized Hogan was backstage at the next set of TV tapings he went to, and fucked off claiming it was an "unsafe working environment" with the Hulkster around.

If they weren't still planning on promoting a Jarrett/Savage title match, Savage would not have been permitted to cleanly pin the champion that night at Turning Point.

• Paid Members

Has there been an on-screen, kayfabe explanation given for why Damien Sandow is now doing a fancy dress gimmick?

I (fortunately, by the sound of it) missed the whole Magneto segment due to a Sky box upgrade meaning I only got the edited version of Raw that week, which I think was where it all started. But I've really no idea why he's continued to do it, to the point this week on Raw he was Davy Crockett without the name "Damien Sandow" even being uttered, let alone an explanation.

I think the week after he was Magneto there was some sort of segment where he 'took over' the Raw Pre-Show and did some kind of worked shoot about the booking team. Since then he's been given even more of the stupid gimmicks. I don't really know where they are going with it.

Having just got back into WWE recently I was surprised to see Goldust still employed, why exactly is he still in a good spot and are he and Cody legit bros or half brothers?

Also what happened to Dibease's son who was considered the more promising member of Legacy?

• Paid Members

Cody and Goldust are half-brothers. Different mothers.

Ted DiBiase Jr requested to be released as his wife just had a baby. Probably taking a break. I imagine in a few years he'll be back again somewhere.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I was surprised to see Goldust still employed, why exactly is he still in a good spot

Goldust was brought back in October to save Cody's job after Triple H and Stephanie fired him, Goldie lost and was barred also until Dusty came to Raw and got his boys one last chance to earn jobs against the Shield at Battleground (the whole Rhodes family would have been banned for good if they lost). Cody and Goldust won then went on a hot streak as a tag team, beating the Shield for the tag titles on Raw thanks to Big Show and holding them for around 3 1/2 months before the New Age Outlaws beat them for the belts during a nostalgic run. Since losing the belts they have been on somewhat of a losing streak with Cody declaring after they lost at the PPV on Sunday that Goldust deserves a better partner (the angle here is Cody losing confidence in himself and holding his big brother back or something)

1986 sometime he did on Saturday Nights Main Event. I cant remember the date and cant be bothered to search for it. Wikipedia or history of WWE should solve that for you. It was on the first 3 disc hogan anthology from about 07 I believe. From my memory it was ok pretty standard match for the time

I have some questions about WCW in late 1995/early 1996, much appreciated if anyone can help out.

1. What was Hogan up to between the Halloween Havoc stuff with the Giant and the heel turn at Bash at the Beach?

2. Was Nitro always 1 hour up until mid-96 or did they have occasional 2 hour specials?

3. What was WCW Saturday Night like during this period, was it still a 2 hour show but now filled with jobber and lower card matches?

4. When was it first made known on-screen that Eric Bischoff was in charge of WCW?

5. Where did they hold Nitro during this period, was it always in arenas (I know the first one was in the mall of America) or was it a mixture of arenas and outside locations?

Thanks in advance guys.