UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

What was Hogan up to between the Halloween Havoc stuff with the Giant and the heel turn at Bash at the Beach?

Mainly feuding with Ric Flair & Arn Anderson and the Dungeon of Doom. And then all of them together, leading to the fantastic DOOOOMSDAY~ Cage match at Uncensored 1996, featuring Zeus and Bane from Batman & Robin. That was his last appearance until BATB, though they did air sporadic videos hyping up his general Hulky awesomeness in the weeks between.

• Paid Members
What was Hogan up to between the Halloween Havoc stuff with the Giant and the heel turn at Bash at the Beach?

Mainly feuding with Ric Flair & Arn Anderson and the Dungeon of Doom.

It was some the most sinfully boring TV I've ever watched. The endless combination tag matches Hogan and Savage had with various guys were mind-numbingly boring. Savage's singles matches with Flair were the high points of the same period and he had a remarkably good match with Luger, but the endless tags and occasional six-man were shit, and reached a nadir once Booty Man got involved.

2. Was Nitro always 1 hour up until mid-96 or did they have occasional 2 hour specials?

It was always 1 hour, except 20th May 1996 was 90 minutes, and they went to 2 hours the week after. Nobody remembers it as the first two-hour Nitro, they only remember it for Scott Hall.

3. What was WCW Saturday Night like during this period, was it still a 2 hour show but now filled with jobber and lower card matches?

It was a mixed bag. Nitro would frequently pimp a match between genuine stars that was going to be on Saturday night but there was plenty of dross. Here is a sample, first the first one that aired after Havoc '95 :

Eddie Guerrero defeated Joey Maggs

Harlem Heat (w/ Sister Sherri) defeated WCW Tag Team Champions Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Scotty Riggs to win the titles

Lex Luger pinned the Shark

Here's 1st June, 1996 :

WCW TV & Tag Team Champion Lex Luger defeated Dick Slater

The Booty Man defeated Mark Kyle

Ric Flair & Arn Anderson defeated Scott & Steve Armstrong

Kevin Sullivan defeated Alex Davis

Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Scotty Riggs defeated Pat Tanaka & Kurasawa

WCW US Champion Konnan defeated Alex Wright

Prince Iaukea defeated the Gambler (Iaukea's debut)

Diamond Dallas Page defeated Cobra

Scott Norton & Ice Train defeated Bobby Eaton & David Taylor

WCW Tag Team Champion Sting defeated Johnny Grunge

4. When was it first made known on-screen that Eric Bischoff was in charge of WCW?

Can't truly remember. They definitely made reference to it at Great American Bash '96, I think there were allusions in some of Hall's promos previously. Then again it might have been mentioned during the press conference that announced Nitro beginning or possibly even sooner.

5. Where did they hold Nitro during this period, was it always in arenas (I know the first one was in the mall of America) or was it a mixture of arenas and outside locations?

Arenas, up until the 5 weeks at MGM Studios in July-August. I don't *think* they started Spring Breakout at Club La Vela until '97.

Edited by air_raid

Is there anyone here who is in charge of Wrestle Talk TV?

Im trying to find out what guests they had on certain episodes but cant find a guide anywhere online.

On a side note why is the UK Television show region blocked on youtube? Seems a little odd old episodes cant be watched in the UK.

• Paid Members

I think there's also the question of needing the package of stadium & destination, as the 100k+ stadiums tend to be college stadiums in college towns.

The likes of New Orleans, New York & Chicago are places that lots of people tend to want to visit anyway.

The same, generally, isn't true of Columbus, Ohio or Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (Although everyone really should want to go to the latter)

I think WWE would maybe take a stab at topping 100k if there was a stadium that could do it in New York or similar, selling it on the combination of Wrestlemania & holiday.

• Paid Members
Ignoring all the nonsense and crazy bullshit, was Alex Shane any good as a wrestler?

In the right type of match, and/or with the right type of opponent, he had some very entertaining bouts.

He got a lot better when he cut out the high-flying rubbish and gold shorts. He worked much better as the bully in the Nash trousers, beating the crap out of guys like Xavier and then playing the chickenshit against Doug.

I'm pretty sure the last man standing match with Xavier was regarded as one of his best. And I seem to remember really enjoying the match against Steve Corino at the time, but that was mostly because of the story stuff going into it. If you don't watch all that I'm not sure it'd have the sane effect.

I've got all the FWA tv run on tape somewhere but I've never really gone back to watch it. I suspect it hasn't aged well.

They sold less than 60,000 for WrestleMania this year, I think.

If true, that makes the announced attendance a bigger percentage mark up than WM3. (93/78, 75/60).

Meltzer reckons the actual sales were between 57 and 61. Including freebies, there were 65 in attendance on the night, and then WWE added another ten on for the kayfabed number. The sad thing is, this same discussion about the second biggest promotion would be in units rather than thousands.