UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

I went up to Morecambe and saw what was then the XWA at the Dome. It's been knocked down now :(

EDIT: Brent Town Hall wasn't great, certainly not compared to Broxbourne, bar the location. The setup FWA used, with some front row seats being effectively third row, put off a few previously FWA loyalists for good.

Edited by gadge

• Paid Members

Brent had horrendously placed pillars, and for recording, well it was just way too green.

Carpe Diem 04 must have been the Corino no show / Jake Roberts incident show right?

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
Brent had horrendously placed pillars, and for recording, well it was just way too green.

Carpe Diem 04 must have been the Corino no show / Jake Roberts incident show right?

Yeah, with Low-Ki vs. James Tighe, Doug Williams vs. Zebra Kid (including the Ricky Knight turn on his son), the Nikita bounty reveal and Simmons being on the winning side of Burchill's first defeat.

They were the only 2 shows they did there, from what I remember.

WWE stock is at a pretty low level, their cash reserves are dwindling and will keep doing so unless the network really takes off next year. The annual dividend they have to pay out is $27m according to Da Meltz, though Vince owns 53% of the total shares so he's trousering over half that. Is there any chance of Vince giving up the plc goat, buying back all the shares and go back to being a private company again? Especially since two of their major investors are looking at suing them over their "we'll definitely double the rights fees" schtick.

• Paid Members
How is Brock Lesnar's reign as IWGP champ regarded? Did he have any particularly memorable bouts, how did it perform at the box office, and what led to him fucking off with the belt in the end?

I won't speak for box office because I can't remember, but in terms of reception at the time it was regarded as the "quick fix" to try and arrest waning interest caused by obsession with MMA (cutting Tenzan's balls off by having him lose to Nakamura, Fujita winning the title, Bob Sapp) and his defences were usually too brief to be memorable although his match with Akebono was a pleasant surprise due to the limitations of the challenger.

His title reign was terminated because he didn't get his visa in time for a scheduled title defence against Tanahashi. Depending on who you ask, either he deliberately didn't get it sorted in time because he didn't fancy doing a pinfall job, or New Japan deliberately didn't send him his documents in time so they could fuck him off and paint him as the "dishonourable outsider" and shift the belt onto Young Hash and forget the whole Lesnar experiment had even happened. I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

• Awards Moderator
Is there any chance of Vince giving up the plc goat, buying back all the shares and go back to being a private company again?

According to WhatCulture paraphrasing Meltz, no. Reversing a machine like that isn't impossible but is difficult; it's not just a case of buying back all the stock, but being able to leverage all the finance that being public gives you. Watch them hotshot a Chinese dude to the title position so they can break ground in China, where they can see some serious growth.

Knowing WWE, they'll probably push Yoshi Tatsu.

Nobody pays for anything in China. It is all illegally streamed. Just about every major sport in the world has tried to tap into the market and it just doesn't work. The Premiership is absolutely colossal in China but they all watch it over a streaming service and buy fake kits. If WWE are pinning their hopes on China they have even bigger problems ahead.

• Paid Members
Is there any way to watch Ustream through a ps3? I'm wanting to watch the ROH IPPV.

Not at the moment. There's no app, and the PS3 version of Flash (which is rarely if ever updated) is too old to run Ustream. There's been talk of an app, but no sign yet.

• Paid Members

Yeah, with Low-Ki vs. James Tighe, Doug Williams vs. Zebra Kid (including the Ricky Knight turn on his son), the Nikita bounty reveal and Simmons being on the winning side of Burchill's first defeat.

Does anyone (Mark Sloan/Herbie) have the first two seasons of FWA TV on DVD or other digital format I can get hold of?

Quite fancy a nostalgia trips as I was really into it at the time. I'm more than willing to pay / charitable donation if that's your thing.

• Paid Members

Does anyone (Mark Sloan/Herbie) have the first two seasons of FWA TV on DVD or other digital format I can get hold of?

Quite fancy a nostalgia trips as I was really into it at the time. I'm more than willing to pay / charitable donation if that's your thing.

I had a box of over 900 mini DV tapes that I gave away as stock last year to a local media college. FWA, ROH, RF Video Shoots, GAEA, 3PW, CZW, MLW, IWA: Mid South, Memphis Wrestling, NWA Wildside; all old TWC footage. I had no room to store it anymore.

Ralph Cardall may have some FWA TV eps though. Facebook him.

• Paid Members
Mini DV? That explains the quality of some of the TWC broadcasts then ;)

That was the format most of them filmed on back then. All TNA and Japanese and ITV stuff was Betacam.

I've started getting into Bellator as it's being broadcast on terrestrial nowadays.

I'm always struck by how close to a wrestling show it is, in its format and presentation. Apart from the finishes to the matches, everything else seems 100% carny. The feuds, promos, backstage warmups, nicknames, finishing moves, all that.

The other thing that strikes me is that it's a hell of a lot better booked than its sister show, TNA. I think the tournament system is perfect for tv as it allows new characters to be built up, generates feuds, gives a week-to-week structure. And the PPVs feel like big deals as they're somewhat differently presented.

I guess my question is - wouldn't Spike be better just doing a pro wrestling version of Bellator, as opposed to the very sports entertainment TNA nowadays? Would a tournament style weekly wrestling show work, with title matches at PPVs? A more UWFi version of pro wrestling would seem more appropriate for the modern MMA audience that they're trying to share.