UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

I've watched most of that video now. It's just the usual Ring of Honor, Dragongate, Gabe Sapolsky nonsense. Looks about as legitimate as Saturday Morning Slam. These boys are having a big laugh if they're calling themselves realistic. I've seen El Generico, Colt Cabana and Ricochet on there now. And loads of blokes (though Ricochet seems involved a lot) doing silly things that might as well be called names like The Flying We're-Co-Operating Driver.

• Paid Members
Meltzer in the 90s

‏@ObserverQuotes

I can't describe how awful Yokozuna-Mabel was. Well, actually I can. Remember the Sid Vicious-El Gigante stretcher match. [3/94]

https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/471766886816829441

Somebody please tell me that I can watch this stretcher match somewhere? Anywhere!

Superbrawl I, so should be on the Network.

I might try resubscribing to that just to watch that match. I just have to see it. Cheers for the info.

Meltzer in the 90s

‏@ObserverQuotes

I can't describe how awful Yokozuna-Mabel was. Well, actually I can. Remember the Sid Vicious-El Gigante stretcher match. [3/94]

https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/471766886816829441

Somebody please tell me that I can watch this stretcher match somewhere? Anywhere!

Superbrawl I, so should be on the Network.

I might try resubscribing to that just to watch that match. I just have to see it. Cheers for the info.

There ya go

stretcher match

The UK obviously only has indies at the moment, but which promotions do people generally consider to be the 'hottest' of these? Seems PCW, ICW, PROGRESS and RPW get the most wrestling media coverage, but ASW and LDN run by far the most shows (perhaps irrelevant though if these are all aimed at the 'family night out' market in each of towns they run).

• Paid Members

It would depend upon what you mean by "hottest", I suppose. I would take it to mean "the most current" or "the most in the spotlight", in which case I would say it seems to be between ICW, PCW or Lucha Britannia, as they're all getting pretty good coverage right now. Probably ICW - getting on BBC like they did is pretty good going.

The UK obviously only has indies at the moment, but which promotions do people generally consider to be the 'hottest' of these? Seems PCW, ICW, PROGRESS and RPW get the most wrestling media coverage, but ASW and LDN run by far the most shows (perhaps irrelevant though if these are all aimed at the 'family night out' market in each of towns they run).

Scratch that, it actually looks like Welsh Wrestling may be running the most shows at present.

Sorry 'hottest' was probably the wrong word to use actually - I'm thinking more in terms of which promotion is the biggest in terms of annual attendance/revenue. I doubt it's any of the PCW/ICW/PROGRESS-type niche but ultra loyal fanbase promotions given that they run so few shows.......

I'd guess at All-Star definitely having the biggest combined attendance given how many shows they run and they seem to draw a good crowd at most of them. Revenue wise it may be them as well, they seem to have a pretty sound business strategy and I think they're one of the only companies that don't allow wrestlers to sell their own merch at their shows.

Saying that, PCW seem to do a lot of business from dvd and merch sales online and at shows so it might not be as big a gap as you might think.

I'd imagine All Star is the most profitable, as it's expenditure must be much lower than the likes of PCW per show. Combine that with the Burkina deal etc and they must do a great turn.

All Star might be making the most money but they probably wouldn't qualify as 'hottest' promotion for a fan because they're basically Zippo's circus rather than a miniature WWE. There's no way to follow their storylines, no buzz to their lineups etc (as far as I'm aware?)... They're just traditional, "AMERICAN WRESTLING AS SEEN ON TV" fun nights out. I'd rather be running All Star than any of the other promotions, but not if my primary goal was to have fans chanting the promotion's initials.

Why didn't Randy Savage face Jeff Jarrett for the title in TNA in the end; was it health or money?

I maybe wrong, but I think it may have been due to Savage wanting to win the belt and Jarrett not wanting to drop it. Also was that not the period when TNA were first negotiating with Hogan, and Savage sighted unsafe working conditions, due to his issues with Hulk?

I'd rather be running All Star than any of the other promotions, but not if my primary goal was to have fans chanting the promotion's initials.

This sums up the philosophy of too many indie feds. It's ironic how many people want to break into the business but don't see it as such. If you're not doing it for the financial gain then you're breaking into your hobby.

Why didn't Randy Savage face Jeff Jarrett for the title in TNA in the end; was it health or money?

I maybe wrong, but I think it may have been due to Savage wanting to win the belt and Jarrett not wanting to drop it. Also was that not the period when TNA were first negotiating with Hogan, and Savage sighted unsafe working conditions, due to his issues with Hulk?

Dusty Rhodes (so maybe take this with a pinch of salt) said a few years ago that Savage, very soon after signing, realised he wasn't capable of going in the ring anymore, hence the ridiculous debut where he appeared for 30 seconds and pinned Jarrett with a punch. Right after that he spoke to Dusty and they agreed to part ways.