UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

That's something I've often thought about, Loki. It would pretty much book itself if you had a talent pool with the right chemistry. There's always be space for extra 'exhibition' matches and at the very least it would give everything they were doing a reason. You could have one tourney every month with the semi's, final and other grudge matches at the PPV. You could probably go the whole way and give every tourney a different theme (general, women's, tag, cruiser, weapons, international, legends etc etc.)

No, it wouldn't work. Wrestling and MMA are different beasts. The big advantage that MMA has is that it's real. The big advantage wrestling has is that it's not. That fundamental difference permeates everything else about them, and you have to cater for that. MMA fans are just going to laugh at fake wrestling even more if it imitates the MMA show style, and wrestling needs more variation in storylines and characters than MMA does to keep people interested. Pushing TNA and Bellator closer together in style wouldn't help either product. It'd make Bellator seem less legitimate, and... Well, TNA's on its arse anyway, so it probably wouldn't make much difference there.

Basically, if TNA and Bellator were the same thing only one's fixed and one's real, there's no reason to watch TNA.

I sometimes wonder if any attempts by TNA or other wrestling companies to succeed with a more legitimate style promotion on TV have been hampered by TV companies wanting more of a sports entertainment feel, or that in recent years nobody with much money/ drive has tried it

When was the last time anyone tried to do a "legitimate style promotion" in wrestling? Even the Japanese ones only lasted a few years, didn't they? The selling point of "like wrestling, but real" makes sense for MMA's appeal. But there's very little appeal in something whose selling point is "like MMA, but fake."

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Others can correct me, but I'm pretty sure BattlArts is still going. Pancrase? Not sure.

Bear in mind it's not always just down to the product, it's also how the promotion's run, how they market themselves, and the budgets they have. Very often, smaller Japanese promotions don't get a look-in, because NJPW, NOAH, and, once, AJPW all dominated the market. DragonGate's done bloody well becoming effectively the No.3 promotion, but a huge part of that is down to the fact they've marketed themselves mainly towards young women, not a traditional wrestling fanbase.

• Moderators
When was the last time anyone tried to do a "legitimate style promotion" in wrestling? Even the Japanese ones only lasted a few years, didn't they? The selling point of "like wrestling, but real" makes sense for MMA's appeal. But there's very little appeal in something whose selling point is "like MMA, but fake."

Evolve was all about WINS AND LOSSES AND BEING A PURE SPORT, but other than Findlay vs Callihan it can fuck off.

• Paid Members
Meltzer in the 90s

‏@ObserverQuotes

I can't describe how awful Yokozuna-Mabel was. Well, actually I can. Remember the Sid Vicious-El Gigante stretcher match. [3/94]

https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/471766886816829441

Somebody please tell me that I can watch this stretcher match somewhere? Anywhere!

• Paid Members
Meltzer in the 90s

‏@ObserverQuotes

I can't describe how awful Yokozuna-Mabel was. Well, actually I can. Remember the Sid Vicious-El Gigante stretcher match. [3/94]

https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/471766886816829441

Somebody please tell me that I can watch this stretcher match somewhere? Anywhere!

Superbrawl I, so should be on the Network.

• Paid Members

It was the last WCW match for Vicious before he went to the WWF for his first spell. No way would he be rolling out there on a stretcher. Seemed odd that they even booked the match. WCW were lucky Sid even turned up. WWF didn't want him to, according to Meltzer.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I seem to remember around 2000 when the main storyline was The Rock vs HHH and for a while it seemed like HHH was turning face, getting on with The Rock, teaming together and I think H even throw a People's Elbow at one point.

This went on for a while and IT WAS A SWERVE, it was all part of a master plan.

So, was this the plan for it all along, or was it an aborted storyline. Just I remember watching the whole "It was all our plan" reveal and thinking it was a heap of crap.

Evolve was all about WINS AND LOSSES AND BEING A PURE SPORT, but other than Findlay vs Callihan it can fuck off.

I just had a look on Youtube to see how accurate that is and came across their creative commons reel. Within two and a half minutes, I've seen New Jack, Balls Mahoney, Justin Credible, at least one midget type fellow, a luchador, a fat bloke in full fancy dress, a double top-rope stunner, a frankensteiner and a moonsault. It just looks like standard indie wrestling.

This was the video I saw:

Fit Finlay's in it later on so it must have been from around that same timeframe. If this is the sort of wank that promotes itself as serious competition, then it's no wonder that TV companies aren't biting their hands off. If they want a LEGIT~ show to partner up with an MMA broadcast, a few skinny lads doing contrived high-spot sequences falls short. It looks like the kind of thing I can imagine Seth Rollins doing as a kid.