UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
Alright lads,

I remember reading about match finishes on here ages ago and there was one that I can still remember. It was from a British show I think and it was something along the lines of a Last Man Standing match and Wrestler A faked an injury but everyone brought it as legit so the match stopped, medical team came down etc then he jumped up after a few mins and hits a superkick on Wrestler B thus winning the match.

Anyone have a clue what Im talking about and what show it was on? Cheers in advance lads.

Was it Alex Shane vs Jack Xavier in FWA at...whatever show it was that had CM Punk vs Raven? It was my first live show as a fan. If memory serves, Jack got thrown off the stage and landed badly - but was fine. In an interview or something somewhere, someone said what happened is that everyone got concerned, thinking it was a real injury, so told him to stay down. He thought they were telling him to keep selling, so kept still. So it went longer than it would have done otherwise, which came off a bit awkward.

Was it Alex Shane vs Jack Xavier in FWA at...whatever show it was that had CM Punk vs Raven? It was my first live show as a fan. If memory serves, Jack got thrown off the stage and landed badly - but was fine. In an interview or something somewhere, someone said what happened is that everyone got concerned, thinking it was a real injury, so told him to stay down. He thought they were telling him to keep selling, so kept still. So it went longer than it would have done otherwise, which came off a bit awkward.

That rings a bit more of a bell mate. Cant be to sure as I seem to remember everyone saying it was a good finish and that but that seems to fit the criteria a bit more. Maybe im just recalling what I read a bit wrong!

• Paid Members

I don't think it was at the show with Punk vs. Raven - that was New Frontiers 2004, which I was at. (Good god, I've just realised it was just over ten years ago. Man, I feel so old.) Alex Shane and Jack Xavier didn't have a match at NF.

• Paid Members
I don't think it was at the show with Punk vs. Raven - that was New Frontiers 2004, which I was at. (Good god, I've just realised it was just over ten years ago. Man, I feel so old.) Alex Shane and Jack Xavier didn't have a match at NF.

They certainly did:

March 26 2004, FWA New Frontiers, Brent

Mark Sloan and Aviv Maayan fought to a no contest, Mark Belton upset James Tighe, Jonny Storm beat X-Dream, Paul Burchill and Simmons beat Stevie Knight and Jorge Castano, CM Punk beat Raven, Alex Shane beat Jack Xavier, FWA All-England Champion Hade Vansen fought The Zebra Kid to a DDQ, FWA British Heavyweight Champion Doug Williams defeated Steve Corino.

I remember that Shane-Xavier match being a bit crap, and I don't recall anyone raving about the finish. They more than made up for it the following month though, when their Last Man Standing match at Broxbourne was the best bout FWA ever presented.

It was certainly one of the contributing factors to the entire show running so long that the main event of Styles/Abyss didn't start 'til close to midnight and when the show finishes we were tired and in desperate need of food. We had decided to wait and get some food after the show from the "24 Hour" Asda near the Dome, but it was closed when we emerged. I'm guessing a "24 Hour" Asda only means 24 hours a week in Doncaster. Best of all on the drive back down the Midlands, my two navigators fell asleep so I somehow spent an undetermined length of time going round and round some one way system in Chesterfield (IIRC) and we got home about 4AM. Steve Corino, I blame you.

As memory serves that show was on a weekend, so you'll have been hoisted by the archaic Sunday trading laws.

• Paid Members

They certainly did:

March 26 2004, FWA New Frontiers, Brent

Mark Sloan and Aviv Maayan fought to a no contest, Mark Belton upset James Tighe, Jonny Storm beat X-Dream, Paul Burchill and Simmons beat Stevie Knight and Jorge Castano, CM Punk beat Raven, Alex Shane beat Jack Xavier, FWA All-England Champion Hade Vansen fought The Zebra Kid to a DDQ, FWA British Heavyweight Champion Doug Williams defeated Steve Corino.

I remember that Shane-Xavier match being a bit crap, and I don't recall anyone raving about the finish. They more than made up for it the following month though, when their Last Man Standing match at Broxbourne was the best bout FWA ever presented.

Wow, I really don't remember that at all. Worst thing about it is that was the first live wrestling show I ever attended.

I remember all the other matches quite vividly, though. Jonny Storm was doing his brilliant heel gimmick (which, for some reason, he's never reprised in any other promotion) where he started replacing his signature spots with headlocks - both funny and annoying. Simmons during this period was probably the funniest he's ever been - I always remember the spot where Burchill would whip him into the opponent in the corner, at which Simmons would let out a terrified scream as he ran. I also remember wincing at a lot of the stuff Mark Sloan did to Aviv Maayan - loved his Indian Deathlock DDT.

The Punk/Raven match was decidedly underwhelming. Vansen/Zebra was great stuff, as was Doug/Corino. The angle they pulled, with Corino showing up out of nowhere, unannounced, went down a storm with the crowd.

Was that the show where Doug Williams did his stand up if you want a refund promo?

And then the next show in the building had to start with an actual announcement offering refunds.

• Paid Members

Wasn't the UK Wrestler fake injury / referee doing the 'X' with his arms Alex Shane Vs Karl Krammer, where Shane apparently broke his neck or whatever? Lynskey was the ref? At Urban Legends?

Hatguy, was that NF the show where Corino came from the crowd and got the biggest pop in FWA history bar Simmons' double turn?

I know it was the show with the fantastic "Drink up, England, I want your liver to fail. Smoke up, I want you to die" promo whilst harrasing Gadget at the beginning of it.

The Punk/Raven match was woeful, was about 6 months too late from the hyped matches they'd had in RoH, and consisted mainly of Raven taking breathers from wrestling to deliver shitty ad hoc promos every five minutes. Raven phoned it in that night for sure, and of all the imports was the biggest dick at his gimmick table afterwards, with ridiculously priced polaroids where Raven for the majority wasn't even looking at the camera.

• Paid Members
Hatguy, was that NF the show where Corino came from the crowd and got the biggest pop in FWA history bar Simmons' double turn?

It was indeed - he hopped the rail during the Sloan-Maayan opener (which is why it had no result). They managed to snap a photo of my face totally marking out at the surprise and stuck it in the next issue of Frontier News (the programme Bagga produced and sold at their shows).

I know it was the show with the fantastic "Drink up, England, I want your liver to fail. Smoke up, I want you to die" promo whilst harrasing Gadget at the beginning of it.

Yep. For those who haven't seen it, Punk was doing his straight edge better than you gimmick, walking the bar in the lobby before the show started cutting a promo to camera. He was going up to fans asking them "WHY ARE YOU HERE?!?", obviously trying to get the answer 'BEER' so he could make the point of his promo work.

Before getting to a pint-enjoying Teedy Kay who gave him what he wanted, he first stopped a bemused Gadge(tboy) who, put on the spot, could only come up with "TO SEE YOU WRESTLE". Of course, FWA kept it in the promo and it went out on their TV show. It's something I continue to take great fun in reminding Gadge about now 10 years later (including last Sunday)...

EDIT: it's only on that YouTube:

Edited by Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

Brent Town Hall got really up itself after those two FWA shows (NF2004 and Carpe Diem 2004). They had a refurbishment and apparently it's now ridiculously expensive to run there. No wrestling promotion who needs halls that size can afford to hire it out.

It's a real shame, because as a venue for an indy wrestling show, it was pretty decent, and FWA needed more than just Broxbourne (which is still one of the best). Good thing they got the Morecambe Dome later, it looked cracking in the footage.