UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Go, you won't regret it if you're a fan.

Only advise is to remember is that it is a reunion, and you're there as a fan. Fans are welcome, and encouraged to attend, but it's not a meet and great. Everyone there will happily talk to you and sign autographs etc, but they're there to see each other as much as the fans.

It is a really nice event. I haven't been for several years, but have been 5 or 6 times, it's always been great, especially if the weather is good, and you never know who's going to show up!

Edited by The Dart

Didn't think this was worthy of a thread - how much do British wrestlers get paid in comparison to US and Japaneese wrestlers?

Few British wrestlers who live here make a full-time living from the profession. In Japan there are four or five big league companies with around 30 wrestlers each that all make a full time living, but most wouldn't be paid that well. In the US generally only WWE and big name TNA wrestlers make a decent guaranteed salary; though there are probably a lot more indie wrestlers there who are able to get enough work to not have to do any other job (since there are so many more indie feds there than here).

Are there for or five big leagues in Japan where you can get full time pay. Don't DDT, who I guess would be counted in that parameter, have to get their wrestlers work in a restaurant or something?

Anyone know what the words said by the Undertaker at the beginning of the ministry theme? pondered that since I was a kid

Anail Nathrak, Dorthnei Diednei,

Accept the Lord of Darkness as your saviour,

Bathnal Nathra, de era

Allow the purity of evil to guide you,

Anail Nathrak, de era umbrana

Anyone know what the words said by the Undertaker at the beginning of the ministry theme? pondered that since I was a kid

Bathnal Nathra, de era

So just jibberish basically, is it any language or spoken backwards?

• Paid Members

Bathnal Nathra, de era

So just jibberish basically, is it any language or spoken backwards?

If the Wrestling Figs board is anything to go by, it’s Old Irish and spoken by Merlin in the film Excalibur: http://wfigs.proboards.com/post/1358561

Edited by Your Fight Site

Didn't think this was worthy of a thread - how much do British wrestlers get paid in comparison to US and Japaneese wrestlers?

Few British wrestlers who live here make a full-time living from the profession. In Japan there are four or five big league companies with around 30 wrestlers each that all make a full time living, but most wouldn't be paid that well. In the US generally only WWE and big name TNA wrestlers make a decent guaranteed salary; though there are probably a lot more indie wrestlers there who are able to get enough work to not have to do any other job (since there are so many more indie feds there than here).

In Japan it's the sponsors who pay the wrestlers and not the companies themselves. So a fan will pay the wages of a wrestler and buy them dinners etc. Thats generally how it works.

As far as the UK goes...I do know that approx. 25% of the regular Scottish workers are living solely from wrestling and merchandising. ICW can be a good payday for some of these guys and there are shows every weekend in some capacity up here. Obvioulsy at the moment there are shows every day. Theres probably several more who could if they wanted to but it's the lack of a guarantee that must make it off putting for most wrestlers.

• Paid Members
Are there for or five big leagues in Japan where you can get full time pay. Don't DDT, who I guess would be counted in that parameter, have to get their wrestlers work in a restaurant or something?

I would've said four at a pinch, but I would hazard a guess at:

New Japan

NOAH

DragonGate

All Japan

Zero-One

I'm almost certain about the top three, not so much about the last two.

DDT is an indie fed and yes some of their wrestlers work in their bar and restaurant as well.

Zero-One is no longer a major league promotion (hasn't been since around 2006). The run half a dozen shows a month at most.

New Japan is by far the most successful at the moment. NOAH and All Japan were traditionally considered the other two major leagues but as pointed out have been in poor financial shape for a long time now (particularly All Japan). I still don't think any of their wrestlers are working second jobs though - they both run a lot of shows and many of their guys work indie dates as well when not on tour.

It's debatable whether Dragon Gate should be considered major league since it was historically an indie fed, but it's got a huge following (particularly in Western Japan) and runs so many shows in smaller affordable venues that they seem to be able to make a good enough profit to give their wrestlers a full time living.

The other possible one is Wrestle-1. I doubt all of their guys are making a full time living but I think a lot of them would be working indie dates on the side.

• Paid Members
they're wildly slashing company expenditure now

Encouraging news for Network subscribers.

Cutting original programming on the network seems really short sighted. I'm sure most people sign up for the PPVs but that's only once a month and after 6 months you've probably watched all the old shows you'd want to as well.

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members
they're wildly slashing company expenditure now

Encouraging news for Network subscribers.

Cutting original programming on the network seems really short sighted. I'm sure most people sign up for the PPVs but that's only once a month and after 6 months you've probably watched all the old shows you'd want to as well.

You'd tire of a 30 year wrestling archive in 6 months? Behave. The old shows are the draw. The PPV's are a great selling point. The original shows are a nice but unnecessary treat.