General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Not that we need an excuse to rewatch it but it's 50 years this week since Deliverance was first released, a film that did for rural people what Jaws did for sharks. 

Superb casting (let's not forget Ronnie Cox was in stuff before he became the baddie in every 80s film) an actual good performance out of a motivated Burt Reynolds and in between all the bits that people remember, a beautifully made film. 

Boorman never really lived up to the first 5 years of his Hollywood career with Point Blank, Hell in The Pacific and Deliverance all being heavily ripped off, even to this day, but going on to make the god awful Exorcist sequel and Zardoz would have sunk pretty much anyone. He also tried his best to kill the cast of Deliverance by making them do their own stunts in an uninsured production. It's madness seeing Burt Reynolds go over the side of a waterfall or Jon Voight scaling a rock face to save a few quid. 

Edited by chokeout

23 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Going to Twitter to block Jesse Hassenger immediately.

I’m sure they’ll be distraught.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:27 PM, chokeout said:

Boorman never really lived up to the first 5 years of his Hollywood career with Point Blank, Hell in The Pacific and Deliverance all being heavily ripped off

Point Blank is just so fantastic.  You have to imagine if it were modern Hollywood we’d have had a bunch of sequels to that.

He may not have scaled those heights again but I adore Excalibur for its British eccentricity.  And Tailor of Panama was a great spy movie.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That would be a huge blow for cinema and the film industry in general. Surely someone somewhere will step up and do something? I don't know how these things work..

Well they say operational business will continue as normal, but surely that all depends on who buys the group? 

• Paid Members

So much for the redeveloped Dolphin Square in WSM. Four and a half years old and five restauants have folded, now its centerpiece is on the bubble.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members

I actually don't think I've seen a Cineworld anywhere in Northern Ireland. There may be, but I can't recall them. It's all Omniplex here, pretty much everywhere. Some Odeon. Then Movie House had a good few picture houses for years, though a while back I think several, if not all, of those have closed.

Shame to see other chains going down the drain too. 

Edited by WeeAl