General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Cineworld is pretty much the only decent cinema chain near me. There's an ODEON in serious states of disrepair (had a torn screen last time I went) and a fairly depressing Vue (which seems to describe all Vues). 

There's a new independent cinema near me but they seem to show the same 3 big releases on a loop for about a month. I know it's lousy of me but if I'm gonna see a big release I'm probably gonna go see it in a multiplex. 

It's the Odeon or nothing here in Guildford, and the Odeon is shit.  We travel out to Esher to go to the Everyman, which is well pricey but at least it's not full of kids on their phones playing Puzzle Bobble or whatever.

We have the big three.

Vue is the cheapest in terms of tickets, but has the same seats that it had when it opened 15 years ago and is really uncomfortable. Even the premium seats have had so many arses in them there’s no actual padding in them anymore.
Odeon had a refurb in 2019 and is all fancy recliner chairs and a little table for your drink/snacks. Their ticket pricing varies wildly depending on time & day though. For example, I could go and watch Nope tonight for £7, whereas if I go at the same time tomorrow (or the rest of this week seemingly) it’s £12.

Cineworld was always the most expensive pre pandemic, but also had a refurb and 4DX screens and all those gimmicks added during 2020. When it reopened the tickets were more inline with Vue (£5 standard tickets) but I’ve not been to it since it had the refurb.

Theres a Parkway Cinema about 15 miles out of town, but I’ve never been to that and a quick look at their website shows £9.50 flat rate tickets, so no danger of going there anytime soon

Edited by WyattSheepMask

1 hour ago, Loki said:

It's the Odeon or nothing here in Guildford, and the Odeon is shit.  We travel out to Esher to go to the Everyman, which is well pricey but at least it's not full of kids on their phones playing Puzzle Bobble or whatever.

Don't know how much further than Esher as the crow flies, but there's also an Everyman in Walton and The Light in Addlestone, which are well decent. 

• Paid Members

Prey was made for an estimated less then $50m dollars. The last film, The Predators cost $88m and bought in only $51m in the US. They had to soft reboot and streaming was the perfect platform. Also, films like the Grey Man had proper huge budgets, over $200m and whilst Netflix did allow a 7 day Cinema release before it was released on their, but most chains won't show films like that. Streaming is not helping Cinema, but it is hardly down to one studio, one platform or one film. I mean Warner Bros just cancelled a $120m Batwoman film because it looked too cheap for the big screen, and felt wasn't going to bring in enough on HBO Max. 

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Prey was made for an estimated less then $50m dollars. The last film, The Predators cost $88m and bought in only $51m in the US. They had to soft reboot and streaming was the perfect platform. Also, films like the Grey Man had proper huge budgets, over $200m and whilst Netflix did allow a 7 day Cinema release before it was released on their, but most chains won't show films like that. Streaming is not helping Cinema, but it is hardly down to one studio, one platform or one film. I mean Warner Bros just cancelled a $120m Batwoman film because it looked too cheap for the big screen, and felt wasn't going to bring in enough on HBO Max. 

Cinemas have been starved of content for a year and a half. It was one of the industries that was having to operate at half mast longer than any other. A summer that needs stuff should not be having films like that released on streaming. Its one of many that would have done fair business worldwide and helped the cinema chains. A lot of the studios just don't give a shit.

The WB thing seems to be they want to fully concentrate on theatrical releases, as their day and date release was awful for their revenues. Hopefully this is a good sign even though cancelling a film was shitty.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Cinemas have been starved of content for a year and a half. It was one of the industries that was having to operate at half mast longer than any other. A summer that needs stuff should not be having films like that released on streaming. Its one of many that would have done fair business worldwide and helped the cinema chains. A lot of the studios just don't give a shit.

The WB thing seems to be they want to fully concentrate on theatrical releases, as their day and date release was awful for their revenues. Hopefully this is a good sign even though cancelling a film was shitty.

The problem is the actual costs of doing so. If a film costs $100m, another $100m+ is spent on distribution, advertising, and marketing. I think it would have looked great on a big screen, but the franchise was dying at the box office, why would they risk another box office bomb just to give the cinema's another film to put on? The studios have been awful this year with only Top Gun: Maverick over delivering on it's production. It also doesn't help that studios were happy to sell of streaming rights to films which could have been pushed back 6 months and had a cinema release like The Tomorrow War and Hotel Transylvania 4 (which I was surprised to see was a franchise in which each film out performed the last). Instead what we have ended up with is a top loaded summer season at the Cinema with nothing to look forward to in terms of "big" releases until October. There are a few small indy releases coming out which I know I'll be able to see at my local multiplex for a change, and I'll probably see the re-releases for ET and Jaws, but otherwise there is almost nothing to see.   

And whilst I agree on the decision on WB going forward, they just scrapped two completed films. They weren't in production, Batwoman and Scoob 2 were in post just so they could write it off for tax reasons (of about $30m apparently. Those films would have brought people out to the cinema, now they will never be released anywhere, big or small screen. It's easy for 2 joke Keith to yell Disney, but this is a bigger issue as streaming services need to justify their existence and have to put on premium content. The 45 day window both HBO Max, Disney+ and Peacock have used has been decent, as most of those releases still did well at the box office, whilst giving subscribers fresh content weeks later. HBO Max's decision last year was ludicrous. 

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They specifically said about Prey that they wanted to drive people to Hulu, so that sounded like the main motive rather than being worried about performance.

As opposed to saying the last couple of Predator films lost money at the box office, so were not risky another box office bomb headline? Of course they aren't going to say that, but it's bloody obvious. The fact it had a low budget and no big names is proof of that.

The Predator doubled its budget at the box office. You’re making it out it only took 50 mill when it took 160 mill. 

A low key low budget reboot is absolutely the way to go for the franchise though, it was dead in the water. 

• Paid Members

There could be more sacrifices made by  WB/Discovery. Following the takeover Discovery are looking to cut up to $5 Billion from the expenses column. More blood being spilled than Luke Rockhold smeared across Costa's face at the weekend. 

5 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

There could be more sacrifices made by  WB/Discovery. Following the takeover Discovery are looking to cut up to $5 Billion from the expenses column. More blood being spilled than Luke Rockhold smeared across Costa's face at the weekend. 

That’s one of the reasons they sold their stake in GB News isn’t it?