General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

getting that much content for a fixed price everything month isn't enough.

It’s not about quantity though, it’s more about quality.

In the old days of terrestrial you got a steady feed of new material and BBC/ITV would both make its own content and pay for sport and film rights.

When Netflix first started it had an enormous back catalogue of films and tv series to bring back to market, and supplemented it with a good stream of quality new film and drama.

Since it was obliged to make its own content the quality has dropped hugely, and you’re not going “ooh I hope the new Marvel film comes into Netflix “ you’re thinking “oh, a film I’ve never heard of with Gerard Butler in, probably not bother “.  And we’ve all burned through all the older content.

So the amount of “new” stuff on there is less than the BBC has on every month.

——

There’s just not enough quality content for the current number of streaming players in brief.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

It’s not about quantity though, it’s more about quality.

In the old days of terrestrial you got a steady feed of new material and BBC/ITV would both make its own content and pay for sport and film rights.

When Netflix first started it had an enormous back catalogue of films and tv series to bring back to market, and supplemented it with a good stream of quality new film and drama.

Since it was obliged to make its own content the quality has dropped hugely, and you’re not going “ooh I hope the new Marvel film comes into Netflix “ you’re thinking “oh, a film I’ve never heard of with Gerard Butler in, probably not bother “.  And we’ve all burned through all the older content.

So the amount of “new” stuff on there is less than the BBC has on every month.

——

There’s just not enough quality content for the current number of streaming players in brief.

Agreed. Apple TV+ seem to have got the quality and quantity balance pretty spot on. There is far less then rival services, but it’s quality and quantity seem pretty even. For every Sandman and Stranger Things there seems to be about 10 shows or movies by Netflix which hardly anyone cares about. Hate on Disney, but having the back catalogue they do with the new content is a decent product for the price. Prime is also average in sone great stuff surrounded by complete turds.

• Paid Members

Films have become disposable media. There used to be an urgency about going to see a film while it was available in the cinema. Originally there was a chance you'd never see it again, then with home video you'd have to wait at least a year before you even got a chance of getting it on VHS, another year for you to be able to own it and probably another year after that before it would come to TV. Imagine waiting 3-4 years to see a film again when you can view it in 40 days now. The romance of viewing films in the cinema is ending with our generation. It's now the norm to watch at home, 

Netflix have to make their own content because everyone ring fenced the content they own. Disney never really licenced out their stuff but now they own the Fox content they aren't giving anyone else the good stuff, Amazon own MGMs back catalogue, Warner Brothers keeps trying to make their streaming platform a thing. Meanwhile the stuff available to Netflix shrinks and shrinks as their licences expire.

I know it all seems shit at the minute but just wait. We're in the middle of a bubble and it'll get worse. Netflix has never made a profit, is billions in debt and its subscriber count is now dropping for the first time. Something drastic will change for them.

Disney are releasing a free ad based level to their service, which is usually the first step in the paid tier increasing. They are desperate to increase their day and date prices and as soon as people are willing to pay ÂŁ20 to watch at home in the quantities they need they'll stop giving a shit about the cinema experience

This just popped up on my feed, basically what has already been said in here but with the validation of it being said by Matt Damon (MATT DAMON!etc).

I’d love to know how much Netflix spend on P&A as it can’t be much. The amount of things I have to go actively looking for even though I’ve had it for going on 10 years straight, why don’t they know what I like yet?

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

The amount of things I have to go actively looking for even though I’ve had it for going on 10 years straight, why don’t they know what I like yet?

Because, like social media, they want you to like what they're putting out, and that's because CEOs and Shareholders bought into their own hype and everyone outside of The Boardroom is a gibbering simpleton with an open wallet.

I have seen Bullet Train three times, stop bullying me

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’d love to know how much Netflix spend on P&A as it can’t be much. The amount of things I have to go actively looking for even though I’ve had it for going on 10 years straight, why don’t they know what I like yet?

They are useless when it comes to this. 

You know how they have that screensaver that pops up and rotates through movies/shows they want you to watch? They're constantly showing me stuff I've just watched. I finished Stranger Things last night, popped downstairs to get a cuppa and when I came back up they were recommending I watch Stranger Things. 

I reckon we all just jack in streaming services and pirate everything, but then you wouldn't steal a car etc etc.

These films are only releasing in theatres to be eligible for the Oscars, right?  No bugger is going to the cinema to watch a film that’s on streaming.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

These films are only releasing in theatres to be eligible for the Oscars, right?  No bugger is going to the cinema to watch a film that’s on streaming.

Pretty sure they aren’t expecting a best actor nomination for Michael Myers. They did the same with Halloween Kills which got a 60 day release on Peacock same day as a cinema release, only on the premium tier though. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

I’m 100% going to the cinema to see the Knives Out sequel before it goes to Netflix. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Our local Everyman picturehouse (and others nationally) are screening some crackers over the next week or two. Thought it’d be worth posting in here as some of you may want to catch your favourites on the big screen.

In the next couple of weeks I’ve got Back to the Future, Jaws and Terminator 2 booked in.

The latter of those I watched on the big screen first time around, but I bunked in because I was only 12 and spent most of the film ducking the security, so don’t remember its big screen magnificence.

They have seasons like this every now and again so it’s worth signing up to the mailing list.

14 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Our local Everyman picturehouse (and others nationally) are screening some crackers over the next week or two. Thought it’d be worth posting in here as some of you may want to catch your favourites on the big screen.

In the next couple of weeks I’ve got Back to the Future, Jaws and Terminator 2 booked in.

The latter of those I watched on the big screen first time around, but I bunked in because I was only 12 and spent most of the film ducking the security, so don’t remember its big screen magnificence.

They have seasons like this every now and again so it’s worth signing up to the mailing list.

Sounds like an absolute treat, but the closest ones to me are York (54 miles away) or Lincoln (52 miles). The Vue here are still showing the odd classic film, ET  and Jaws (in 3D) seem to be alternating over the next week (as well as the Up as Devon mentioned in the Recently Seen thread), but they don’t advertise them at all. I only find out about them by checking the listings

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Cineworld are kind of doing the same. Next week The Fast and Furious  and Nolan’s Batman Trilogy all in 4DX and at reduced prices.

Off to see Jaws in 3D Friday. Saw the E.T. 40th Anniversary IMAX release which was stunning and heard good things about the 3D conversion for Jaws. No surprise as his Jurassic Park conversion was one of the best I’ve seen. As there are no big releases until October I expect more re-releases to come.