General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Weezenal said:

I got two rear speakers for Sonos Beam for birthday. Any recommendations to test out surround Dolby Atmos? Tried the new Blade Runner, Dune, West Side Story and Scott Pilgrim with Atmos so far. 

My go-to is always the Khazad-Dum / Moria sequence from towards the end of Fellowship of the Ring ("you shall not pass!") . You have arrows whistling past, an echoey mine full of chittering goblins, the Gandalf / Balrog fight occupies just about every space on your graphic equliazer and it's just good fun. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Speed Racer is a good one for a surround sound set up. Although I don’t like them, Nolan’s films are always good for surround sound, especially Dunkirk (just don’t forget to put the subtitles on).  I saw Nope in IMAX and the sound made a much bigger impact then watching it again at home. Also A Quiet Place is a good one for surround sound as well.

• Paid Members
On 11/6/2022 at 6:32 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Amazon's BFI Player channel is £0.99 for the next 3 months if you subscribe before November 20th, great value if you like arthouse foreign stuff especially.

They are doing the same offer with Shudder too, until November 25th.

• 2 weeks later...

Sight and Sound have done their top 100 again, its been ten years and there is a new champ.

I'll assume only @Devon Malcolm has seen the number one, but I think I'm going to make watching them all my 2023 project. 

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time

Polls are, as we know, very silly but I always enjoy seeing this one.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, Weezenal said:

I got two rear speakers for Sonos Beam for birthday. Any recommendations to test out surround Dolby Atmos? Tried the new Blade Runner, Dune, West Side Story and Scott Pilgrim with Atmos so far. 

Master And Commander - some of the best audio I've ever heard in a movie, and the surround mixing during the battles is second to none.