General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

On 5/16/2023 at 4:30 PM, Factotum said:

I think the last 30 minutes of The Irishman is one of the great meditations on age and regret

That last half an hour is quite something.  I didn’t LOVE the film, but for the payoff to be a heartfelt look at the futility of old age, made it all worth  while.

The rest of the movie I’ll forget, but the shot of old De Niro struggling round his house was profoundly moving and stayed with me long afterwards.

9 hours ago, Loki said:

That last half an hour is quite something.  I didn’t LOVE the film, but for the payoff to be a heartfelt look at the futility of old age, made it all worth  while.

The rest of the movie I’ll forget, but the shot of old De Niro struggling round his house was profoundly moving and stayed with me long afterwards.

May I ask how you saw it? I watched it in the cinema and absorbed it all in. I can see why someone watching it at home might have struggled.

Alternatively you might just not have liked it ha! But you're right about the last 30. Also I think it's one of Pesci's all time performances

11 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

3 hours 26 minutes apparently. No thanks.

I despair

11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I've just bought the book to read before I see it, and cannot wait. A new Scorsese film is always a great event.

The book is shocking and brilliant. Grann is a great writer. It seems Marty went off and did his own research on other aspects of the story and decided to really drill down into that. That excites me as it is an absolutely brutal story

9 minutes ago, Factotum said:

May I ask how you saw it? I watched it in the cinema and absorbed it all in. I can see why someone watching it at home might have struggled

The majority of people saw it at home surely?

I'm not quite sure The Irishman is a "better at cinema" film to be honest (not that I think this is what you're saying)

I was quite pleased to be able to go for a piss/coffee/fag at any time as I would struggle for that long without a break (it's weeing more than anything else at our ages isn't it?)

12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm not quite sure The Irishman is a "better at cinema" film to be honest (not that I think this is what you're saying)

Fair point, but being in a dark room with no distractions and sitting there taking it all in was a great experience. I get the weeing bit though ha, I did see it early in the day so was minimum fluids consumed!

As there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with films anymore (the 90-100 minute mid level thriller type) They should bring back intervals. Fuck it let PTA, Scorsese etc go wild but we can piss halfway through. I went to the Hateful Eight screenings where they had the interval and it was great. Has the score playing in between.

3 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I get the weeing bit though ha, I did see it early in the day so was minimum fluids consumed!

I'll be honest, if I go to the cinema to see something I want to see I go early as possible and don't drink anything beforehand for that very reason. Getting older is shit. Might take a Tena for the new Scorsese. 

49 minutes ago, Factotum said:

May I ask how you saw it?

At home, yeah.  Don’t get me wrong, as a piece of filmmaking it’s wonderful.  My issue really is that I don’t think the de-aging works.  I wish they had cast other actors as the younger versions instead.  Imagine Godfather 2 without De Niro but a de-aged Brando?  

As great as they all are as actors I couldn’t not notice how old they looked all the time, even when they were meant to be young.  Just get a body double for the difficult stuff like walking up a flight of stairs or kicking a guy out of a store.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Imagine Godfather 2 without De Niro but a de-aged Brando?  

If it was made today, Coppola probably would though wouldn't he?

I think the de-aging was probably as good as it could be, but it will never ever be 100% perfect. 

It's like when people talk about computer game graphics and say "Wow, that looks just like real life" It doesn't does it? It will always look like a computer graphic.

I'll agree with the de-ageing. I thought only Pesci looked good with it, probably as I hadn't seen him in ages.

I also got annoyed that they didn't make the proposed Don Winslow adaptation The Winter Of Frankie Machine as they were waiting for the technology to do The Irishman. DeNiro would have knocked that out the park

Fast X

If you’ve stuck with the series, and still enjoy them, you’ll love this. If you’re over them, or were never into them, this won’t change your mind.

Jason Mamoa stands out as a great addition to the cast, and plays his role superbly.

Ending will divide a lot of people’s opinions, and there are some lovely surprises throughout. Stay for the mid-credit scene.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Matthew said:

Fast X

Ending will divide a lot of people’s opinions, and there are some lovely surprises throughout. Stay for the mid-credit scene.

It won’t. That was absolutely rotten. Thankfully Jason Mamoa took a leaf out of Hugh Grant in Paddington 2 and completely stole the film. Massive step up from 8 & 9 though which shocked me.

11 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It won’t. That was absolutely rotten. Thankfully Jason Mamoa took a leaf out of Hugh Grant in Paddington 2 and completely stole the film. Massive step up from 8 & 9 though which shocked me.

What made you think it was rotten? I’m not too pissed about it, knowing they said it was part 1 of the story, I guess I knew they’d do it that way, the same way Avengers did, and how I presume the new MI film will 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Matthew said:

What made you think it was rotten? I’m not too pissed about it, knowing they said it was part 1 of the story, I guess I knew they’d do it that way, the same way Avengers did, and how I presume the new MI film will 

Spoiler

Not the cliffhanger with Dom and Brian but the resurrection of yet another member of the family. Absolutely no stakes. People moan about Marvel films being able to resurrect superheroes but this is another level.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:
  Hide contents

Not the cliffhanger with Dom and Brian but the resurrection of yet another member of the family. Absolutely no stakes. People moan about Marvel films being able to resurrect superheroes but this is another level.

Spoiler

Yeah I’m not sure how they’ll explain that. My girlfriend was sure she’d be back, but I wasn’t so sure, was just excited to see Rocky back, as I’d seen a spoiler beforehand he was in the mid credit scene. Very happy to see him back.

See all this drivel about Indiana Jones and Killers of the Flower Moon getting something like 7 minutes and 12 minutes round of applause respectively at Cannes, is that legit or just an exaggeration?

I've no doubt both movies will be good/ great but who the hell stands there and claps for all that time? Nonsense