General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Just now, LEGIT said:

See all this drivel about Indiana Jones and Killers of the Flower Moon getting something like 7 minutes and 12 minutes round of applause respectively at Cannes, is that legit or just an exaggeration?

I've no doubt both movies will be good/ great but who the hell stands there and claps for all that time? Nonsense 

Just like your name it's legit. Cannes has long been known to have ridiculously long ovations, its a tradition. 

Pan's Labyrinth was clapped for over 20 minutes.

Marty should get an hour.

20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Just like your name it's legit. Cannes has long been known to have ridiculously long ovations, its a tradition. 

Pan's Labyrinth was clapped for over 20 minutes.

Marty should get an hour.

Mad that the measure for how good a movie is is how long an applause it gets. I've clapped for a minute at the football and it feels long. Twenty minutes, fucking hell. 

Edited by LEGIT

9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Fire Walk With Me was fucking boo'd, I still don't trust them.

I hated that movie, maybe I'm firmly in the category of not being clever enough to 'get' David Lynch's stuff, I don't know. For me the surreal, psychological stuff is good if it has a decent conclusion. Lynch's stuff always leaves me confused and disappointed.

Cannes rolls out the red carpet for the child rapist Polanski and the wife beater Depp amongst others. Like all big award ceremonies/festivals it’s so self congratulatory about the smell of its own farts. Apart when Aronofskys latest masterpiece get the standing ovation, obvs. 

5 hours ago, LEGIT said:

I hated that movie, maybe I'm firmly in the category of not being clever enough to 'get' David Lynch's stuff, I don't know. For me the surreal, psychological stuff is good if it has a decent conclusion. Lynch's stuff always leaves me confused and disappointed.

See I'm a thicko that doesn't get every little detail of his work, I just let it wash over me like a fucked up dream then later on years down the line rewatch it while reading all the crazy theories.

It ends up being two very different experiences and I adore them both.

• Paid Members

I think part of the reason Fire Walk With Me was so panned on release was about how it related to Twin Peaks in general; they ended the series on a cliffhanger, and then rather than resolving it, Lynch did a prequel to show you all the bits you already knew happened, and stripped away almost all of the campness and charm from the series and just made it an unrelentingly bleak story of abuse and incest. But then, that's what Twin Peaks was, and it's a brave creative choice in and of itself to hold that up to the viewer, to say "the TV show you enjoyed watching was actually this all along". 

15 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

wife beater Depp

If I was fighting accusations of being a sexual predator and violent abuser, I think I'd avoid this look myself - 

johnny-depp-photocall-jeanne-du-barry-76

Why not just tie your hair back, maybe that'll look a bit

johnny-depp.jpg

Oh....

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It's stranger with Cannes as you'd think they might actually appreciate that.

Eh. It's all so arbitrary is impossible to predict whether they'd hate being the butt of the observation or laud it for its bravery. I reckon the former is generally more likely given their thin skins. 

Not sure where to put this, but Tarantino just did a full on hour or so one of his podcasts about the career of Rick Dalton. As a huge fan of OUATIH, it was quite something to listen to Tarantino do a full on career retrospective on that character (and treat him like he was real) Plenty of new writing as well. It's part 1 of 2. Well worth a listen if you love the movie and you can tell he absolutely loves that world.

Self indulgent of him? yes absolutely, but I don't care.

Edited by Factotum

2 hours ago, Factotum said:

Not sure where to put this, but Tarantino just did a full on hour or so one of his podcasts about the career of Rick Dalton. As a huge fan of OUATIH, it was quite something to listen to Tarantino do a full on career retrospective on that character (and treat him like he was real) Plenty of new writing as well. It's part 1 of 2. Well worth a listen if you love the movie and you can tell he absolutely loves that world.

I assume that's the Video Archives podcast?

I like that podcast a lot, and really enjoyed his appearances on the Pure Cinema pod as well (another great podcast) which sort of made him start his own one with Avery I suppose.

I know he rubs people the wrong way and he can be a bit of a dick, but I could listen to him talk films all day long. I've got the book he released recently as well but haven't had a chance to start it.

He's an incredible source of knowledge, and I love that he is still as much of a movie fan as when he first started out.

2 hours ago, Factotum said:

Not sure where to put this, but Tarantino just did a full on hour or so one of his podcasts about the career or Rick Dalton. As a huge fan of OUATIH, it was quite something to listen to Tarantino do a full on career retrospective on that character (and treat him like he was real) Plenty of new writing as well. It's part 1 of 2. Well worth a listen if you love the movie and you can tell he absolutely loves that world.

Yeah there's been a whole section of Twitter basically roleplaying that Rick is real and for some reason a lot of it ended up in my "for you" timeline. There's a whole arse debate on if he supports Polanski..

32 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I assume that's the Video Archives podcast?

Yup it is their new episode as obviously Rick died on Friday. 

Personally I absolutely love Quentin. Probably the last of the biog filmmakers who can open original films to massive audiences and have people talk about it good and bad. The podcast him and Avery did on STRAW DOGS is on of the best breakdowns of a film ever.

Edited by Factotum