General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I never understand these Sight & Sound lists because they always include stuff (Poor Things, for example) that aren't even out here until the next year.

I hate when critics do this. It just reeks of 'haha, I got to see this film before the rest of you!'. Fuck off.

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I never understand these Sight & Sound lists because they always include stuff (Poor Things, for example) that aren't even out here until the next year.

That said, Past Lives at #3 is well deserved, it's bloody wonderful.

Maybe because it's a world wide publication I'm guessing? But yeah, bit annoying.

Just now, Lorne Malvo said:

I hate when critics do this. It just reeks of 'haha, I got to see this film before the rest of you!'. Fuck off.

Ugh, the pits. Music journalists are the worst for the this.

"Now I can't say anything, but the album that's just landed in my inbox has got me freaking out and you'll all (aka the shitmunchers) will love it when you hear it"

I don't mind so much when reviews come in from film festivals as that's just how things work (like all the peeps who got to see The Boy and The Heron) but don't be a braggy Bernard about it.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They included The Fablemans a film which came out last November in the US and I caught on streaming last Christmas and got a uk release in January. It’s a very weird way of compiling a list

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Like people who get to see a screener or test and aren't allowed to review it online so they post a review on Letterboxd that just says "embargoed". I block them immediatelly, definitely not out of jealousy or owt.

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Like people who get to see a screener or test and aren't allowed to review it online so they post a review on Letterboxd that just says "embargoed". I block them immediatelly, definitely not out of jealousy or owt.

So the review just has the word EMBARGOED? That's very weird behaviour. 

• Paid Members

On that Sight & Sound poll again, the way that Barbie and Oppenheimer were paired together was a nice touch and I'm even more excited to see The Zone of Interest now, too. Return to Seoul was excellent as well, good to see it on there.

6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

They included The Fablemans a film which came out last November in the US and I caught on streaming last Christmas and got a uk release in January. It’s a very weird way of compiling a list

I think Festival appearances play a part?

Just to use these examples: Poor Things was at the London Film Festival as part of a festival loop. Which apparently ticks the UK release box. Whereas Fabelmans never made it over here for any public appearances until it was released.

What's their criteria for something being an "action movie"?  They mention that Robocop is Paul Verhoeven's masterpiece but then don't place it AT ALL in the Top 50 (putting Total Recall at 32).  So what sort of a film is Robocop then?

These things are always subjective but it's a decent enough list, although eyebrow very much raised at Black Panther in the Top 10!  I'd have thrown in some other films like Black Rain, Yakuza, Point Blank, and the first Rambo.  No Stallone!

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I hate lists like that, I'd happily never see one again and that one is also shit. At least they placed Enter the Dragon quite high. I've noticed it dropping off in a lot of polls and stuff in the last few years when before it was always correctly regarded as an ultimate classic. 

Terminator 1 is better than 2 as well but T2 is still an all timer so it's all good.