General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Considering how often Uwe Boll has been nominated, that's obviously not true.

there was a time for sure where it was more good humoured and calling out failed films, but it’s been the dregs for a long time. Can’t even remember the last time I looked them up.

16 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I don't know how you square that with nominating child actors and up and coming actors getting their break, which they do pretty frequently.

I have no idea. I don't pay any attention to it. It's just what I heard people say that that was the original intention for the awards.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I have no idea. I don't pay any attention to it. It's just what I heard people say that that was the original intention for the awards.

Well in the first year of existence they nominated the excellent Cruising, amongst big names first time director Nancy Walker (Can't Stop The Music, a fantastic cock in cheek Village People musical), and again against established stars, Sam Jones in his first big role in Flash Gordon. So it's just a mixed bag of whatever stuff these pricks decided would be funny, (with a possible streak of homophobia this year). I doubt they ever had an intention beyond getting attention. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Well in the first year of existence they nominated the excellent Cruising, amongst big names first time director Nancy Walker (Can't Stop The Music, a fantastic cock in cheek Village People musical), and again against established stars, Sam Jones in his first big role in Flash Gordon. So it's just a mixed bag of whatever stuff these pricks decided would be funny, (with a possible streak of homophobia this year). I doubt they ever had an intention beyond getting attention. 

In the same year they nominated Brian De Palma for Dressed to Kill.... and Stanley Kubrick for The Shining. They also nominated De Palma for Body Double and Scarface! Just like all award shows, they're totally shit and out of touch

• 3 weeks later...

Played my copy of this to death as a 14 year old.

It was due to my love of 18th century French literature, not Selma Blair copping off with Buffy, actually! My VHS copy just happened to have a dodgy bit of tape at that particular scene.

...and the one with the shoulder massage.

• 3 weeks later...

So winnie the pooh blood and honey 2 had been released today. Yew it is a horror film about winnie the pooh.

The first one received terrible reviews. (Although I quite liked it) the second one has already received better reviews than the first 

• Paid Members
On 3/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, SuperBacon said:

Thought this might be of interest to some of you. An upload of Pauline Kael books.

I own a copy of the Citizen Kane Book in there, and it's Kael's biggest missing of the mark ever. It was the main source material for Mank, and basically contrives to deny Orson Welles of any credit at all for writing the script, or for the film's success, in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This is why I need someone other than Butch to watch On Cinema on here because my Gregg Turkington / VFA reference will mean nothing to anyone.

• Paid Members

Just noticed that Femme has been added to Netflix. Great film, a perfect anxiety inducing gay companion to All of Us Strangers for people who don't want to be cheered up.