General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Was also going to say Poor Things was shown at LFF which you could buy a ticket for so technically released here. Probably my film of the year, it’s bonkers. Saying that my own magazine won’t include it as it isn’t officially released until January.

Everyone has their own opinion, but these lists are multiple opinions and usually gives you a good idea of what is worth watching from the year. Also the people reviewing it have probably watched it in a cinema as intended, not watched a pirated Russian version for their Letterboxd.

• Paid Members

Godzilla: Minus One and The Boy and the Heron are tracking to be in the US box office top 10 by the end of next week, apparently. The former just clocked up the biggest live action Japanese opening weekend in US box office history and both could be the biggest foreign language hits since Parasite.

Godzilla's getting a really wide opening over here, too, and I wouldn't be surprised if they expand it after its success elsewhere. Interested to see what they do with The Boy and the Heron, hopefully it will get the same as I'd like to see it over Christmas with the kids.

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Interested to see what they do with The Boy and the Heron, hopefully it will get the same as I'd like to see it over Christmas with the kids.

Down here we have a Vue, a Picturehouse,  a Reel, Showcase, Cineworld and an Everyman within a 20ish minute radius.

So far it's only showing up on the Picturehouse which is annoying as that's the furthest one.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Down here we have a Vue, a Picturehouse,  a Reel, Showcase, Cineworld and an Everyman within a 20ish minute radius.

So far it's only showing up on the Picturehouse which is annoying as that's the furthest one.

They usually release wider schedules every Monday evening so more will show up by a week on Tuesday, I think. Might be messed up by Christmas though as it's due out (wide) on Boxing Day.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They usually release wider schedules every Monday evening so more will show up by a week on Tuesday, I think. Might be messed up by Christmas though as it's due out (wide) on Boxing Day.

Yeah there is actually a screening on the 15th but I have to go out for my pissing works Xmas dinner, so really hoping it does get released fairly widely on the 26th, as the eldest is desperate to see it. 10yo not arsed.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah there is actually a screening on the 15th but I have to go out for my pissing works Xmas dinner, so really hoping it does get released fairly widely on the 26th, as the eldest is desperate to see it. 10yo not arsed.

Screenshot2023-12-1020_58_43.png.c298a0f2568d288cd35edeeaae4a0171.png

No info on on how many screens it's getting and it's up against a couple of big releases, as above, so far. But I'm thinking it will get a sizeable release because of how it's doing internationally and also because of Christmas holiday business.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Screenshot2023-12-1020_58_43.png.c298a0f2568d288cd35edeeaae4a0171.png

No info on on how many screens it's getting and it's up against a couple of big releases, as above, so far. But I'm thinking it will get a sizeable release because of how it's doing internationally and also because of Christmas holiday business.

Ferrari is a sky cinema release over here which should mean it wont be that wide a release.

If you can get to the cinema to see Boy and The Heron, do it - it's one of the best sounding films I've seen/heard in years, just beautiful in all regards.  I was lucky enough to see it at BAFTA a few weeks ago, and it's certainly one of the best Ghibli films I've seen.  Touching, heartbreaking, uplifting, thought-provoking.. a real emotional journey.