General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Sorry for the double post, but nobody else has posted for a month.

Saw X

If you’ve come this far, and still get joy and enjoy the Saw franchise, you’re going to love this one. It’s clearly been made by those that care for the franchise and the history of it. 

If you never cared for the series, then this won’t win you over. But this fits between, what many consider, the two best films in the franchise, and although doesn’t re-write, nor have the big jaw dropping twist the Saw films have been known for, does a great job in itself, of telling a story.

The first third of the film don’t feel like a Saw film, while still having little nods, be it in the script, or in the score, to what it’s known for. Tobin Bell, is so good as Jigsaw/John Kramer, and he carries this film throughout.

Edited by Matthew

The "reimagined" Toxic Avenger had its premiere at a film festival last week. The handful of reviews that appeared online are unanimously positive, and this trailer which appeared online today (the first footage to be released to the public) seems to back up everything they're saying about how the new version captures the campy daftness of the original. Very much looking forward to this, although there's no release date (apart from a couple of festival screenings) so fuck knows when anyone might actually get to see it.

• Paid Members

Been waiting for stuff about that toxic avenger reboot to start showing up as it was announced absolutely ages ago, the tone looks so good. Toxic avenger is one of my all time faves (unsurprisingly) and I like everything I've seen from Macon Blair so I was really anticipating this one. I would like to see a traditional kind big muscly classic Toxie in it but I'll reserve any apprehension til I know more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 4:35 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

The king is back. What a trailer!

They had me at the Die Hard music.  Nothing says Xmas mayhem like Ode To Joy!

• Paid Members

https://www.darkhorizons.com/warners-scraps-coyote-vs-acme-release/

Warner bros scrapping the release of another finished film rather than releasing it. Sounds like it was really my bag too, Will (Magruber) Forte as Wile E Coyote's lawyer vs John Cena as head of Acme in a hybrid live action cartoon. I think some version if this has been in development for like well over a decade from what I remember. 

Is Will Forte best know for Macgruber? Maybe last man on earth, I think he's hilarious in any case.

9 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Is Will Forte best know for Macgruber?

He starred in the biopic of Doug Kenney, "A Futile and Stupid Gesture" which I really enjoyed, I think that's the only thing I've seen him in.