General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've heard the TV show gets it right, haven't tried to watch it yet.

Ash V Evil Dead was utterly superb. Brilliantly self referential but with really good characters. A shame it got cancelled but utterly bonkers it even got 3 seasons. Bruce Campbell is just incredibly watchable

• Paid Members

Bruce Campbell is the key ingredient, he's just perfect for that role. But these reboots have just gone for straight horror, which is fine but they instantly lose the charm of the original trilogy and the goofy effects and humour.

By the way, Odeon are doing a run of WALL-E for its 15th anniversary next week and I'm definitely not doing a two and a half hour round trip to the Trafford Centre to see it on my own, absolutely not.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Ash V Evil Dead was utterly superb. Brilliantly self referential but with really good characters. A shame it got cancelled but utterly bonkers it even got 3 seasons. Bruce Campbell is just incredibly watchable

I went to Halloween Horror Nights a year when Ash vs Evil Dead had a maze and it was one of the most fun of the whole event. The TV show was, considering the budget limitations and such, really good

• 4 weeks later...

I love Scorsese. Just the absolute best.

His work as a Director speaks for itself, but his restoration of so many nearly lost films and curating of those from around the world is even more admirable.

Might watch AFTER HOURS tonight as a treat

This bit made me cry.

"DEADLINE: You’re 80. Do you still have that fire to get right back behind the camera and get the next one going?

SCORSESE: Got to. Got to. Yeah. I wish I could take a break for eight weeks and make a film at the same time [laughs]. The whole world has opened up to me, but it’s too late. It’s too late.

DEADLINE: What do you mean by that?

SCORSESE: I’m old. I read stuff. I see things. I want to tell stories, and there’s no more time. Kurosawa, when he got his Oscar, when George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] gave it to him, he said, “I’m only now beginning to see the possibility of what cinema could be, and it’s too late.” He was 83. At the time, I said, “What does he mean?” Now I know what he means."

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Oh.. speaking of Martin.

I've just bought the book to read before I see it, and cannot wait. A new Scorsese film is always a great event.

This Spike Lee interview is well worth a watch. 

Spike is probably my favourite film maker ever, even if I don't always love everything he does. I like how he really doesn't give a shit what people think (like Marty) and he should be treasured.