Royal Rumble ‘24 (Bossman’s Year)

Dr. Alan Grant

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

I get the impression brons spot was meant for Lesnar  

It was definitely Pat's spot. They rehearse the Rumble on Thursday before the show, and you can assume that anyone who enters and doesn't have any physical interaction with anyone in the match is because they were a last minute replacement for someone, and they weren't at the rehearsal or otherwise factored in, because it's not just the new guy who would have to learn a ton of new spots, it's everyone they would have had to interact with too.

It was solid, set things in motion for what is to come. The Rumble matches did feel very long though, I don't think the fact the crowd was so dead helped that. 

Thought the women's Rumble was the more interesting of the two with Jordynne Grace, Naomi, Jade Cargill and things like that and had the right winne in Bayley.

The men's one didn't have the same energy until the final two of Punk and Cody, and that was very fun to see despite Punk being blown up. I  did think Punk was going to win but got no problem with Cody doing it and thought him picking Reigns  straight away was a nice change.

I am wondering if we're going to get Punk/Drew and Rollins/Gunther at Mania instead of the expected to be fair. If Rollins knee isn't 100% they might be able to tell a better story with him being mauled by a big guy.

It’s hard to separate the event from the wider situation, but I’m going to try to do that here.

Tony Khan - rightly - gets a lot of shit on this forum, but the main (wrestling-related) thing I take from this event is just how influential AEW has been in the industry.

If AEW wasn’t around, Cody would have rejoined WWE, but would he have ended up main eventing Wrestlemania two years in a row? I highly doubt it. In spite of his stellar work on the indie scene, AEW increased his value to the point he feels like he should be the next face of the company.

Would CM Punk have returned to wrestling? It’s far from a certainty. He could easily have done it sooner than he did, but chose not to. 

And then there’s Jade Cargill - she may well have signed for WWE anyway, but the enormous reaction she got was impressive, particularly when you consider how flat the crowd was throughout long stretches of the show. I maintain that WWE did a great job of making her look like a star following her signing, but it would be delusional of me to suggest that her reaction was down to anything other than her time in AEW.

its exciting to consider - you could have three monumental women’s matches at Wrestlemania that feel every bit as important as the men’s matches; Rhea/Becky, Iyo/Bayley and Bianca/Jade. It’s a grim time to be a wrestling fan for many reasons, but I don’t think we’re far away from a time where a female wrestler is the centrepiece star for WWE, and being the dad of an amazing little girl, that’s something I’m really going to welcome. 

13 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

During that women’s rumble I was sure Nia Jax was going to murder someone.

She is absolutely dreadful isn't she?

And I wondered if Graves "We all know how dangerous Nia Jax can be" comment was a self aware barb before remembering he's probably not that smart.

Edited by SuperBacon
Grammar

Watched the men's Rumble and it didn't do too much for me, to be honest. A few cute spots here and there and I thought Bron looked really good coming out of it, but a lot of wasted opportunities, too. 

Also, the crowd seemed really burned out by the end and a lot of the final four stuff fell flat, for me. 

Cody is a decent a choice as any for a winner, but I really only want to see him against Roman if he actually wins the fucking belt this time because the Reigns train feels like it ran out of steam a while ago and he'd at least be something different (and seems to have all the tools/savvy to be a 'face of the company' type). 

• Paid Members

I thought the womens Rumble was excellent. Their womens division is so good with so much depth. Jade Cargill looked like an absolute megastar out there. And just to jump on D-Mal and JLMs recent posts, Katana Chance! Bonk, as SuperBacon would say. It's a massive shame nobody seems to care about Tegan Nox. Never been huge on Bayley but she looked great here and judging by the reaction it was the right winner.

The Reigns match happened and Logan/Owens was good although big matches ending in a DQ finish to prolong the feud is a WWE trope that needs to fuck right off. It's been a storyline prop they've used for decades and 99% of the time it's a cop-out.

The Mens Rumble was decent, but nowhere near the quality of the Womens. Absolutely the right wnner though. Cody Rhodes is The Guy going forwards, he's just phenomenal. Please, please don't fuck him again.

I know it's a subject that's been done to death on here, but we need to talk about Punk. Like the rest of Punks WWE appearances (and the second half of his AEW run), he just seems to have lost that spark or connection he had previously. So much of what he is doing is falling flat or isn't hitting like it should, and I've no idea why. I wonder if it's because a lot of people watching during the Pipebomb era just arn't watching anymore, and the landscape of the audience has changed so much in the 10 years since he left. I hope his run starts to heat up going into Mania with a clear focus on a single opponent.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@RedRooster Jade was originally bought to WWE as a prospect when Mark Henry was there and they turned her down. 

She went out and got training after that, so I imagine she’d have pursued wrestling anyway, even if AEW wasn’t around. This may have culminated in her joining WWE, but clearly she wouldn’t have been in a position to get the kind of reaction she had last night without AEW. They increased her value more than any other company could have.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

It was definitely Pat's spot. They rehearse the Rumble on Thursday before the show, and you can assume that anyone who enters and doesn't have any physical interaction with anyone in the match is because they were a last minute replacement for someone, and they weren't at the rehearsal or otherwise factored in, because it's not just the new guy who would have to learn a ton of new spots, it's everyone they would have had to interact with too.

Meltzer on WOR said that Bron got Brock's spot and eliminated the people Brock was going to eliminate fwiw. 

• Paid Members

Tegan Nox’s presentation has always been bad. She can be a very likeable underdog baby face and obviously has the story of the back to back horrendous knee injuries to play off. She works best if she’s being bullied by a particularly mean/vicious heel. Also if she had any sort of character development whatsoever, that would be good too. She’s still just “the girl with the shiniest wizard” which is meaningless to the average WWE viewer and is a crap nickname even if you’re a big Mutoh fan. Also her character trait on the main roster is that she’s Natalya’s friend. That’s it. 

Shayna is the one that gets me down though. There was a time when her association with Ronda looked like the thing that could take her to the next level. Instead it has done huge damage to her and left her the coldest she has ever been.  Leather jacket wearing heel NXT champ Shayna with the banging theme song and the role of division bully/tyrant was great. I know stuff like that doesn’t always translate post call up and they were unlikely to let he run the whole division, but she has something to offer and I hate seeing her come out to crickets. 

Edited by JLM

13 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I know it's a subject that's been done to death on here, but we need to talk about Punk. Like the rest of Punks WWE appearances (and the second half of his AEW run), he just seems to have lost that spark or connection he had previously. So much of what he is doing is falling flat or isn't hitting like it should, and I've no idea why. I wonder if it's because a lot of people watching during the Pipebomb era just arn't watching anymore, and the landscape of the audience has changed so much in the 10 years since he left. I hope his run starts to heat up going into Mania with a clear focus on a single opponent.

To be fair, he received a good reaction when he came out, and while the crowd were flat for Cody/Punk being the final two, you could just as easily turn that around and blame Cody - I don’t think you can attribute the flatness to anything other than the crowd - there were long stretches throughout the night where the crowd were pretty silent. Until Punk has a proper feud and singles match, I don’t think it’s time to sound any alarm bells. As far as the second half of his AEW run goes, that enthusiasm did disappear; but that was down to his brawl with The Bucks and Kenny, not down to anything that had happened in ring.