Royal Rumble ‘24 (Bossman’s Year)

Dr. Alan Grant

• Paid Members

Even though I’ve talked myself into thinking Bayley is the most logical winner, my gut still says Lynch.

8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Even though I’ve talked myself into thinking Bayley is the most logical winner, my gut still says Lynch.

We are due a two time Woman's winner, aren't we? It'll be Lynch if its not Bayley. Though I want Bayley to win.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Part of me wants Punk to win just to see if kfogg stops crying before Mania or not.

Don't bet on it lmao. 

I've actually been a little better than I was doing but I do think I'll have a couple of tears as it's his first on screen appearance in ten years but after the disgusting news this week I just want to enjoy something from this company, reading the document triggered me slightly so I'm now trying to pull it round and be happy and excited again.

• Paid Members

Cody Rhodes is going to win whether he wants to or not!

Final guesses.

Bayley for the Women.

Men’s Rumble ends with a double winner, Bret/Lex style, with Cody and Punk.

See you on the other side!

It's quite interesting that there's a few outcomes that genuinely could go either way in the men's rumble. Cody winning is what a lot of fans probably want, but then you have to be certain you're going to give him the win over Reigns at Mania, otherwise he's dead in the water. 

Based on online comments you'd expect fans to shit all over The Rock winning and facing Reigns for the title at Mania, but its The Rock and its probably the biggest match you can offer. Does it even matter if they shit on it?

Do you really want to give Punk the Mania main event? If so, are you really picking him to be the one to finally beat Reigns? Because that would be bonkers. If he loses, are you risking fan backlash anyway? And what does it say to all of your wrestlers about the new regime if you give that prick a WrestleMania main event? 

Plus part of me thinks they're aiming for a rather bonkers Punk/Austin night one and Reigns/Rock night 2. 

9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just been to the shops for sweets, Coke, crisps (so many crisps) and Chicken slices etc and might order a munch box from the Chinese as I've decided I'm staying up to watch it live*

*Cue me falling asleep at 11.37pm. 

@SuperBacon  WAKE UP!!!

Well that was quite fun. Only fell asleep 3x times and needed 4x shits but we got there.

Corey Graves: "We all know how dangerous Nia Jax can be" LOL!

Jade Cargill looked an absolute star, so maybe people can stop banging on about her not being "presented well" or whatever they cry about. Would've liked her to win, but Bayley is a fine winner.

I appreciate how over LA Knight is, but he is absolutely shit and should be nowhere near the main event picture. He looks like Jeff from Community with a beard in pants. Real low rent look. State of AJs hair still as well.

Men's Rumble was good, and the right winner, although all I want now is Punk vs Cody!

Punk looked great. Was a bit worried he was gonna wear his t shirt the whole way through which always looks shit. Pat McAfee and R-Truth were highlights.

I am not doing this again live though. That was a chore and I'm too old.

See you for Mania!

• Paid Members

Loved the women's rumble. 

Was marking out in my living room like a small child for Jade Cargill's debut.  What an arrival, holy shit they nailed this. They did a very good job of heating up Nia Jax, not as an obstacle for Becky or Bayley, but for Jade to dominate singlehandedly. They even teased the big multi-woman team up elimination of Nia only for her to shrug it off, which made Jade look eeeeven better when she whupped Nia's ass. The military press-off and stare down with Bianca too. Electric. Absolutely perfect debut and one that I will be re-watching many a time. Also a fun novelty to see an AEW person debut in WWE with a knock-off of their AEW theme.

Jordynne Grace looked great, loved the reunion with Naomi and the showdown with Bianaca. 

Chelsea Green was a delight for her entire run. The tease of the repeat speed elimination, collateral damage in the Jax/Niven showdown, all the way up to her elimination. She's brilliant. 

Nice to see Naomi get the Ironwoman spot on her return. 

Truth looking at Valhalla like she was crazy whilst running past her to the wrong Rumble was gold. 

Bayley's run was great and I was rooting for her along with most of the people. I love that they took Damage Control out early (Kairi's attempted Kofi-save was amazing too) and got that out of the way so it could be Bayley's story for the rest of the match. She's still doing the cocky heel trash talk, but has shown so much vulnerability and they're being so mean to her that she's been babyfaced in an organic-feeling way. 

Great showing for Tiffany Stratton, who also looked excellent. Nice mini-appearance for Roxanne Perez. 

There were some dead spells due to some of the field not being over in the slightest: Tegan Nox, Candice Larae, Indi Hartwell, Alba Fyre, Xia Li, Michin, Zoe Stark, Shayna Baszler (this makes me very sad). Chance and Carter did lots of fun stuff and Chance in particular was involved in all manner of spot as both attacker and victim but, as much as I'm a fan of theirs, they're not over either. 

Regardless though, the stuff they wanted to hit, they hit very hard indeed. Was buzzing after that. 

Title match was a very formulaic Roman title defense, without the remote chance of Roman losing or a Sami/Cody/Drew-in-Cardiff level of investment in the challenger to make it interesting. Pretty boring match. Also fatal four ways sort of being no-dq but people mostly deciding not to cheat in them is very dumb. AJ used a chair and Cole stated "because there are basically no rules in this match." Everyone else declining to use weapons or low blows (even Roman, the cheatingest of cheats) because of the honour system? Silly. 

Owens/Paul was OK. Never ceases to amaze me how good Logan Paul is. Finish was a bit silly though. "KO got screwed" Well not really right? Theory brought the brass knuckles in, but Owens used them and then covered Logan with the brass knucks still on his hand. He cheated and he got caught cheating and it cost him his title shot. Made him look pretty stupid. 

Men's Rumble did the job, though I enjoyed the women's one more. The Jay and Jimmy opening just made me sad at how that angle fell off a cliff. Gunther was brilliant throughout. Some great showcase moments for the big units; Bronn Breaker, Bronson Reed and Ivar all got great moments to shine. R Truth's hot tag was hilarious. Liked the Cody and Punk final battle. I like that it felt more like the ending of a main event singles match, rather than them scrambling about on the apron teasing eliminations like your usual rumble ending, especially when the women’s match had just done that ending.

Punk really leaning into the heel/spoiler role at the end too. "I didn't wait 10 years to lose to Dusty's kid" was great. Did just enough to get the crowd worried that Cody might not do it. Obviously very chuffed that he did. I like that the commentators spent precisely 3 seconds on the "question" of which title he'd go for. The contrast between Reigns looking like the final boss of pro wrestling and Rollins looking like a total knob in their respective skyboxes was hilarious. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

I honestly thought it was being set up for a Punk win with Cody winning in the Chamber. Once The Rock didn't arrive so was pleasantly surprised at a Cody win.

The women's match was decent enough, with a forgettable stretch in the middle. What was noticeable, however, was how tall some of the women seemed to look. Chelsea and Indi (swoon) both looked huge.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, JLM said:

and Rollins looking like a total knob in their respective skyboxes was hilarious. 

Agreed. Cody referenced it in the press conference albeit with a very neutral answer. There is no question which title he is going for "all due respect to Seth Rollins..." line made me chuckle. All due respect but respectfully Seth and his title are numpties. Good times.