Royal Rumble ‘24 (Bossman’s Year)

Dr. Alan Grant

I echo others' appreciation of Jordynne Grace, my first view of her and I was VERY impressed.

It speaks to the strength and depth of the WWE's women's division that they are comfortable with having the champ of another fed in the mix, and her looking strong as well.  It felt like a star-studded, anything-can-happen Rumble match, one of the best of either division that there's been in many a year.

Perfect introduction of Jade Cargill to the wider audience, and the crowd were red-hot for the possibility of her v Bianca which they are wise to be.

I enjoyed the 4-way, although the outcome was never in doubt.  All 4 men are over, all work compatible styles and all looked good I thought.  WWE really has an embarrassment of riches in their main event scene, they've been almost TOO successful this year in building people up.

The men's Rumble couldn't live up to the women's - not enough surprises.  Sammy Zayn at No 30 was the best they could do?  Also disappointing to see boring Andrade turn up - off the back of a forgettable AEW run he has nothing to offer imo, particularly when I realised that Santos Escobar (as well as being better generally) is also taller!  Bron Breakker came in like a tower of power but (and this happened a lot in this match) got eliminated with kind of no fanfare.

---

Whatever else is going on outside the ring, WWE is firing on all cylinders leading up to Wrestlemania.  They're committing to Reigns v Cody (I imagine Supremo's TV needed a wipe down this morning) and surely to the finishing of the story.  Outside of that they have stars aplenty to fill 2 nights of Wrestlemania.  Punk v Rollins most likely, Bayley v Ripley, possibly Belair v Cargill, and then  you've got Orton, LA Knight, McIntyre, Becky Lynch... 

There's no need for The Rock is there?  Can't see him fitting into WM at all now.

I have to disagree with people on both the crowd and the ring announcer - I watching this on my big tv and the crowd seemed hot to me (especially compared to the last Dynamite, good lord).  And I like her announcing, she gets the crowd pumped and her exaggerations are no more odd than her many male predecessors and counterparts elsewhere in sports.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

👍 Women's Rumble - Fantastic! For me, the more entertaining of the two Rumbles in terms of surprises, overall structure and big moments. One or two dead spots and one or two stumbles, but otherwise a really fun affair to watch bell to bell. Bayley vs Io at Wrestlemania will be a lot of fun as DC start to implode. Cargill looked like a big star and Jordynne Grace looked right at home. 

👍 KO/LP - Logan Paul continues to shine in his role. Wouldn't be against them running this back. 

👍 Men's Rumble - YES CODY. I thought they'd bottle it and not have him go all the way, but I'm so glad they have. Rumble itself picked up towards the end but I felt there were more dead spots in this one than the women's match. I really thought his would be a year where they nail the Rumble formula and make more eliminations make sense in terms of tying more stories together and having more magic moments. However, great final four and a fantastic conclusion between Cody/Punk. The Rock is my boy, but I'm really glad he didn't show here. Already counting the days until the epic pyro display with Cody celebrating at the end of Wrestlemania 40. 

👎 4-Way - Too easy to telegraph. A few bright spots but such a comedown from the emotion of 12 months prior with the Zayn/Owens business. 

👍 Overall - Thumbs up, always love the Rumble. More of a functional Rumble than an all-time classic but a lovely Sunday morning watch. @SuperBacon lives are not the answer anymore at our tender age - an early rise the following morning for a spoiler-free watch is the perfect tonic. 

Anyone else notice the old man of the sea seem to hurt his elbow taking the FutureShock DDT? Immediately rolled over to the corner, spent a while struggling with and chatting with the refs. Apparently he left clutching his elbow after the match, too.

Silly old sausage.

• Paid Members

I will credit the 48,000 with sounding better than the 2,000 on Dynamite yes. They were still pretty shit though. 

Samantha Irvin is hugely popular, the dislike for her on here is definitely out of step with the wider fanbase.  She’s a bit hit and miss for me. I actually quite like how over the top she is for Roman Reigns, but the one she used to do for Chelsea Green made me cringe pretty hard. Justin Roberts walks the good/cringe line  for me too though, I don’t think the hate Irvin gets is fully warranted. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

👍an early rise the following morning for a spoiler-free watch is the perfect tonic. 

That was my plan. Woke up just after 7, needed something to read on the bog (vintage UKFF) and was savvy enough to remember to stay away from any social media and this place. Had got a notification from the CBS Sports app about something Alabama football adjacent, which I thought would do the trick with no risk. 

Skimmed the article, idly hit the back button. And there it was in the headlines:

"WWE Royal Rumble: Rhodes, Bayley win" 

The risks are everywhere, folks. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Meltzer on WOR said that Bron got Brock's spot and eliminated the people Brock was going to eliminate fwiw. 

And was Brock originally booked to get eliminated by Dominik Mysterio?

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Jordynne Grace will be back off to TNA now. I think it was a one off, like when Mickie James was in the other year. 

Complete speculation, but I wonder if Naomi was allowed out of her TNA contract early in return for the Knockouts Champion being booked in the Rumble again.

• Paid Members

Watched just the 2 rumble matches. Thought the women's was way better, Jade looked a star. 

Men's wasn't amazing, but decent enough. Cody was the right winner. Punk looked like his timing was off all match, which is a shame. Bron was cracking, and Dom was just brilliant. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'd not have totally ruled that out, TBH. Brock goes on the rampage and dumps a bunch of people, Dom manages to sneak up behind and quickly tip him over.

Leads into an angle where Dom dodges/Judgement Day protect him from Brock until Mania, where Brock murders him and everyone cheers. In another world. 

1 hour ago, Statto said:

I'd not have totally ruled that out, TBH. Brock goes on the rampage and dumps a bunch of people, Dom manages to sneak up behind and quickly tip him over.

Leads into an angle where Dom dodges/Judgement Day protect him from Brock until Mania, where Brock murders him and everyone cheers. In another world. 

This seems very, very plausible. And a pretty good idea too, in a different world as you say. 

• Paid Members

Yep, she is fantastic. She understands and executes her role as well as just about anyone in pro wrestling right now and was a highlight of this rumble. Also appreciated her rocking the pride flag in Florida for her entrance. Or her "very unique entrance attire" in Cole-speak. 

Edited by JLM

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

No idea. That could have easily been re-jigged, but you never know...

Updated, here is the quote from Melty: 

"Bron Breakker essentially fulfilled the Brock Lesnar role (in the Rumble). He came in when Brock Lesnar was going to come in, he threw out the guys Brock Lesnar was going to throw out, he got thrown out exactly how Brock Lesnar was going to get thrown out".

Edited by SaitoRyo
Dave 'Melty' Meltzer