Royal Rumble ‘24 (Bossman’s Year)

Dr. Alan Grant

I loved the women's Rumble but the men's just didn't get going. Maybe it was shy of a big return or two. Felt rushed to me, maybe they wanted to maximise the improvised singles match at the end but Punk looked genuinely goosed after being in there for all of 7 minutes. 

Most memorable part of the men's Rumble was Dominik Mysterio's performance. Still hard to believe how good and how over he is. 

Tidy little win from bet365 on the winner! I try to avoid betting odds so to not spoil for me, but stumbled on Cody paying 3.75 the other day. 

Edited by OzExile

I fell asleep a few times, I think the crowd rubbed off on me, were they forced to be there or something? What a shit crowd honestly. 

Hearing Michael Cole mention TNA was strange, Grace done quality. 

Punk needs some cardio and conditioning going on, he's been in the PC lately with the younger talent, he needs to get in there a bit more... underwhelming from him, pleased Cody won.

All in all though Rumble '24 was a bit of an anti climax considering the buzz around it and all the talk of 'could be the best Rumble ever'. 

• Paid Members

I thought the Women’s Rumble was the match of the show. Some nice surprises and some good stretches but also showed some of the greeness the Woman’s roster has. Moments where people either obviously getting into the right position, or waiting for something to happen to them. Jade looked a ready made Superstar coming in and getting rid of Jax. But for all the talk of the lack of training she had in AEW and how the performance centre would make her a real Superstar, she looked no better than when she left WWE. Maybe that’s her ceiling as this was always a side gig to her?

So pleased for the love Naomi got, was awesome.

Roman vs LA, Randy and AJ was the same event we’ve had for the last year. With the same interference from the same person. Boring.

KO/Paul was good. Logan still showing how great he’s become in such a short space of time. Poor ending though spoiled it. 

The men’s Rumble was a slog. Andrade is back and looked like he had a point to prove. But the lack of any other real surprises was disappointing. After me being positive about CM Punk and his training, it was clear his fitness hasn’t really improved since leaving AEW as he looked knackered. As did the crowd by the men’s rumble. And the final 2 absolutely dragged on. 

Cody has to finish the story, right? They can’t swerve it again surely?

• Awards Moderator

Haven’t watched since Survivor Series, but watched wrestling this morning. Survivors wasn’t long ago but I think they’ve reduced their camera cuts even since then. Makes it so much more watchable.

Women’s Rumble was better than the men’s. Jade Cargill looked the star we all knew she would be, but Jordynne Grace was probably my standout. Heard the name but never seen her before - she was ace! And commentary put her and by extension TNA over really well. I’m way more tempted to try out their show after seeing her.

It’s also good that they no longer have to rely on nostalgia surprises to fill out the field in the women’s match. Watching the depth of the division here - even compared to last year, when it was hard to tell who was who at times due to similar bright hair and gear, it was much easier to distinguish everyone this time - the difference between this and AEW’s women’s division is night and day.

The non-Rumble matches did nothing for me.

R-Truth was highlight of the Men’s Rumble, he was great. Average Rumble but the right winner. I didn’t think it was going any other way, no matter how many times Punk looked at that sign - you don’t use the “first back to back winner in 26 years” stat multiple times if Cody’s not winning. Even so, there were moments of doubt so they did a good job in the final stretch.

I skipped all the entrances at Survivor Series because of the ring announcer but saw them here and when did so many entrance themes become so bland? Even the likes of Asuka have lost the music that used to stick in my head.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I think it's one of those shows that I would've enjoyed a lot more away from the Internet hype and speculation. Especially the men's Rumble match.

WWE are always in the tough position of finding that balance in these matches. Legends, current roster members, returns and surprises. I think they got it right with the women's match and left the men's one a little underwhelming. But it's tough to please everyone.

It wasn't even necessarily who was in the men's Rumble but just the lack of effort in the booking. You've got so much to play with, and we've had plenty of years with far better spots. This one was mostly going through the motions to get to the final two. Not bad as such, just average and forgettable. Maybe they thought they'd done enough with the opener.

A mate messaged me raging that Cody won and vowed to never watch it again.  Lovely stuff. The Rock didn't show up thank god and Punk didn't need the win.  Oh and Omos showed up. Have him be Cody's first challenger!

• Paid Members

I watched both Rumble matches but skipped everything else.

Women's Rumble was pretty decent. Naomi, Jordynne Grace and Jade Cargill all looked brilliant, and I still have a soft spot for Shayna Bayzler because she just looks and acts so legit. Outside of this lot and the regulars like Becky Lynch and Bayley though it was a who's who of who's that. Katana Chance? Alba Fyre?
As someone who hasn't watched since Wrestlemania last year I'm obviously not going to know them but as a casual viewer they were almost all interchangeable nobodies but in their defence it was nice they could use them at all and not have to wheel Lita and Trish Stratus out again.

Nia Jax is still absolutely brutal. I voted for her in the worst wrestler award based purely on clips I'd seen of her return on Reddit and to see her in action here makes me know I did the right thing. Still suffers from the same issues she had back in the day in that she's presented as a monster but has no strength and fails power spots. Was relieved when her big run was purely to get Cargill over. Cargill still looked lost and sloppy but her presence offsets it all. Hopefully with time she gets more comfortable.

Mens's rumble wasn't as good as the Women's but suffered from the same thing. A few big names here and there but padded out with junk. Carmelo Hayes, Santos Escobar, JD McDonagh. Maybe they're all great but to a drop-in viewer like me they had nothing about them, you could have just got a bloke from the crowd in for their spots. Same as eternal lurkers like Ricochet and Karrion Kross.
Bron Breakker was class but to be honest I got halfway in and just started skipping to the entrances because it was always going to come down to Cody and Punk and waiting 2 or 3 minutes to hear music I don't know and someone like Ivar or Bronson Reed come out just isn't worth doing. Glad Cody won, I'm fully invested in him finishing the story again!

Best parts of both rumbles were R-Truth. Ruining the rumble for Valhalla "WITH HER ANTLERS" and doing a hot tag in the men's rumble were both brilliantly funny spots.

That Pat McAfee spot was clearly going to be Lesnar, wasn't it?

Lesnar coming out, battering Omos and Breakker before having a how to with Gunther?

Either way, silly spot.

It was all fine. The women's match was more fun than the men's, but a lot more scruffy. Naomi is offensively rubbish, not realising she was needed for the face off with Jordynne Grace (who was good), inexplicably picking someone up for a suplex whilst Bianca and Jade were doing dual suplex spots, lots of instances of her being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Cargill looks like a megastar.

Men's Rumble was a bit of a slog through the mid card wilderness, though with Jordynne Grace turning up earlier I spent the entire match on edge that Ziggles was going to pop up.

Thought the end stretch was great, and really want them to do Punk/Cody properly at some point.

Hopefully The Rock just goes away for a bit and they play Mania with a straight bat, Punk vs Rollins and Cody vs Roman are the two best title matches they can run... so let's just do that.

2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

That Pat McAfee spot was clearly going to be Lesnar, wasn't it?

Lesnar coming out, battering Omos and Breakker before having a how to with Gunther?

Either way, silly spot.

It was all fine. The women's match was more fun than the men's, but a lot more scruffy. Naomi is offensively rubbish, not realising she was needed for the face off with Jordynne Grace (who was good), inexplicably picking someone up for a suplex whilst Bianca and Jade were doing dual suplex spots, lots of instances of her being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Cargill looks like a megastar.

Men's Rumble was a bit of a slog through the mid card wilderness, though with Jordynne Grace turning up earlier I spent the entire match on edge that Ziggles was going to pop up.

Thought the end stretch was great, and really want them to do Punk/Cody properly at some point.

Hopefully The Rock just goes away for a bit and they play Mania with a straight bat, Punk vs Rollins and Cody vs Roman are the two best title matches they can run... so let's just do that.

I get the impression brons spot was meant for Lesnar  

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Do people actually care this much about wrestling, or is your mate 12?

Sadly. And he's 42. I'm 13 years younger and I feel embarrassed on his behalf. He cosplayed as Punk last night too. Painful!

• Paid Members

@d-d-d-dAz I've read in a couple of places that Bron got the spot Lesnar was going to have. A face off between Lesnar and Omos throws back to last years Mania, which makes more sense than the face off between Omos and Steinersaur Jr. I get that the McAfee bit was silly but Pat doesn't care about showing his arse, you can just see he is having I a great time. I appreciate he is marmite but if a lot of the regular roster committed to the bit like Pat does it would be a million times better. 

I'm guessing Rock didn't show up because he has sensible PR people who didn't want the question HHH got, and I'm guessing HHH does not use the same PR by the way he answered that question. It's hard to look worse than TK's wig/glasses answer but bravo Hunter you took his crown.